July 22, 2014

Dresden fans campaign to save their show

by Brett Love, posted Jul 11th 2007 2:05PM
The Dresden Files - Paul Blackthorne, Valerie CruzWith so many different campaigns going to save shows recently it could almost be a weekly feature here, and here is yet another for you to consider. I bring this one up partly out of a selfish desire to see it succeed, because The Dresden Files has become my second favorite Sci Fi Original, but also because I think it actually has a shot at working.

There is a bunch of helpful info over at the group's main site. They have a letter writing campaign where if you email your letter to Dresden fan Belynda she will print it out and mail it for you, email and phone contact info for Sci Fi, links to a petition, and a host of other options for you to help out.

If you just happened to miss the show when it originally aired you can get all 12 of the episodes through iTunes and there is a nice selection of behind the scenes stuff over at the official Dresden site on scifi.com. The first, hopefully of many, season DVD set is scheduled to be released next month as well.

harry

Sci-Fi Channel is NOT the dumbest cable station. They're the 3rd dumbest...

1st goes to the idiots at Showtime who cancelled Odyssey 5, easily the best Sci-fi show after the Outer Limits. Unbelieveably good story line; strong acting and they can it. Along with Jeremiah, which wasn't nearly as good, but they did create a good story line.

2nd place goes to TVLand which thinks that hours and hours of Three's Company is good programming. That's like saying Muskrat Love is good music.

3rd goes to Sci-Fi for their stupidity with canceling shows like Dresden. I for one liked PKJ, but it's not a very strong show. Flash Gordon is even weaker and lamer; but it deserves a shot. What really makes Sci-Fi channel stand out in the dummies department is that they think horror and bad animal movies is sci-fi. Come o-o-on. It's not sci-fi. It's crap. It's like putting chocolate syrup on matzah and calling it chocolate cake. Not.

A baboon could do a better job at programming for these three stations. And it would be cheaper, though I'll bet PETA would insist it get minimum wage. What losers they are too.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes a rant is truly called for.

Harry

September 08 2007 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LaVaughn Swann

Thanks for trying to help. Canceling the The Dresden Files and cutting off the incredible Battlestar Galactica makes me think SciFi's strategy is to become the geek wing of Spike TV, or worse -- The Dresden Files drew a large female audience and I guess that didn't make it a good lead-in for the wrestling hour or Painkiller Jane -- the show would probably have been more welcome on USA, because so much of the appeal of the show was the great character work by Paul Blackthorne and Terrence Mann.

August 04 2007 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I will be muy bummed if they can TDF. I tried hard to support it last year, telling friends, Tivoing first runs and repeats, playing each episode at least twice without fast forwarding the commercials -- not that I necessarily WATCHED it twice, but Tivo doesn't know if the TV is actually on. ;-) I even bought every episode off iTunes.

I did the same thing for 30 Rock...

July 19 2007 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn

SciFi, you suck! Dresden files made tv worth watching. If you don't bring back Dresden files, you'll be just like that dumbass in Washington DC who never listens to the people! You're fired!!

July 17 2007 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerry

Thank you for the article. I love this series too and I am waiting for a second season. It's really frustrating when something like this happens to a series. Sci-Fi really needs to step up to the plate and give us an answer!

July 13 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjinpa

I've written letters, emailed and signed petitions for the renewal of Dresden Files.
I surfed into an episode mid-season and was hooked from then on. I purchased all 12 episodes from iTunes so I could catch up - I guess that probably means I surfed into it late in its season. I liked just about everything about the show - the characters and their interactions, the humor, the special effects, the plots, the editing, Bob....
I just want to be able to see more of the same.

July 13 2007 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rindy

Thanks for putting the word out about this great show. It's easily one of Sci-Fi's best original shows. Good plots, snappy dialog, fun characters (Especially Bob!), good acting-- it's hard to believe there's even a question about renewing it. I'm glad they're putting out a DVD set. I'd be even happier if they were showing reruns and renewing for future seasons.

Folks, keep spreading the word, and maybe Sci-Fi will get the message.

July 12 2007 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran

Seems once again that the SciFi channel is proving to be the dumbest channel on all of cable. I fell in love with the Dresden Files and all the people who act in it, especially Mr. Dresden, himself. All he has to do is smile, and the whole episode is worth watching. Viewers should start boycotting SciFi, especially now that Monk and Psych are coming back to USA, and Burn Notice is doing so well. Shame on you, SciFi. P.S. Stop making so many stupid crocodile and vampire movies that you have been showing. They all stink and are a waste of our time. Smarten up!

July 12 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

I couldn't agree with you more Joey. I really wanted to like Painkiller Jane, but man, it's just not very good.

July 12 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

After giving Painkiller Jane a full 20 episode first season (and it so didn't deserve it), the least Scifi could do is give Dresden Files a short second season.

July 12 2007 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply