September 16, 2014

Here are the best and worst shows, according to critics

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 12th 2007 9:17AM
Friday Night Lights

A couple of times a year, TV Week asks TV critics from print and online media to fill out a survey with their lists of the best and worst TV shows of the season. The summer list this year doesn't hold too many surprises in the "best" category, though I think the "worst" has a few (worst lists are always more fun to read anyway, right?). First, the ten best:

1. The Sopranos (HBO)
2. Lost (ABC)
3. Friday Night Lights (NBC)

4. The Office (NBC)
5. Ugly Betty (ABC)
6. Heroes (NBC)
7. 30 Rock (NBC)
8. The Shield (FX)
9. Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
10. The Tudors (Showtime)

And here are the ten worst:

1. October Road (ABC)
2. 24 (FOX)
3. The Real Wedding Crashers (NBC)
4. The Black Donnellys (NBC)
5. The Pussycat Dolls Present (The CW)
6. Tyler Perry's House of Payne (TBS)
7. Nancy Grace (CNN Headline News)
8. Sons of Hollywood (A&E)
9. On The Lot (FOX)
10. The Wedding Bells (FOX)

Notes: I didn't watch 24 or October Road, but were they both worse than The Real Wedding Crashers and Nancy Grace? Really? Interesting how the two shows that replaced Studio 60 (The Black Donnellys and The Real Wedding Crashers) are both on the worst list (though Studio 60 doesn't show up on either list, highlighting a really big indifference by the critics). I wonder if The Sopranos was really the best show or it got votes just because it was the last season and had a lot of controversy. CBS doesn't have a single show in the top ten of either list, and NBC has a lot of shows in the best category. Now if they can just translate those votes into ratings...

Here's the full list for TV series, and here's the full list for movies, miniseries, or specials.

Julie

WOW I am amazed......October road is one of the worst huh? Funny that that comes from alot of folks who never even watched it. I on the other hand loved to watch it. I looked foward to it more and more every week I was so hooked when I found out the season was over and might not continue I was bummed!!! I want the show to continue and maybe people should watch before they judge because it really is a awesome show!

August 25 2007 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

Why wasn't James Woods nominated for an Emmy? He is excellent in drama as well as comedy. His show,Shark, is always in the top ten or twenty.

August 19 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmalcolm

Studio 60 should be simulataineously on both lists. It had a magical quality of being the best and worst show you ever saw, at the same time!

July 17 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Best and worst according to the critics??? What critics??? Any critic who doesn't have The Wire in the top 25 shows knows absolutely nothing about good television. It is hands down the most well written and best acted show on TV. I've seen many critics agree.

It's a visual novel that rewards the viewer immensely for sticking through the season with deep well rounded characters and it's an analysis on America. I would dare say it's the most important scripted show on TV.

By leaving it off of your list you pretty much destroyed all credibility you had. Also Battlestar Galactica is criminally
underrated as well.

July 13 2007 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

WOW... there is sooooo much wrong with this list. Where do I start?

For starters, they lost all their credibility right off the bat by putting LOST at number 2 on the best list. Now, personally I agree that LOST is in my top 3 so that's not at issue with me. What I have a problem with is how badly the critics blasted LOST all season long (TV Squad included) and then it end up virtually on top of everything else this season??? You've got to be kidding me. That speaks to the integrity of the critics, that they say one thing but then don't stand behind what they've preached all season long. Sad.

Second, The Closer and Rome are way too far down the list for me. Now, I love The Sopranos as much as anyone does but no way was it better than Rome was this season. This is a show I truly will miss after two stellar seasons. Same goes for The Closer. After last week's episode (just three shows in, mind you) I firmly believe it's the best show on the air right now.

Lastly, BSG always seems to get the short shrift. The fact that the writers managed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (c'mon, a robot DOG???) is just amazing in the first place. This show used to be a poor man's Star Wars/Trek and now it is a better drama than almost anything else on TV. I still can't believe it hasn't been rated near the top of the charts its entire run and that this season will be the last. Again - too sad.

July 13 2007 at 6:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kyle

24 doesn't belong on the worst list. it is completely over the top and ridiculous, but that is why it is so great. and dexter and weeds should be #2 and 3 on that list

July 12 2007 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Where's Rescue Me? Where's The Closer? Where's Dexter? Where's The Riches? BTW, none of those show whould EVER work on network.

Seems like most of their choices are on-par with the award shows - Nielson's and buzz.

Sure, Lost and Grey's are good; but shows like Rescue Me, The Closer and Dexter just blow me away. I usually watch with my mouth hanging open half the time. Jaw-dropping stuff.

I can't wait until Damages starts. Some of the previews look incredible.

This is kind of off-topic, but...

The cable channels like TNT, F/X and even USA are breaking record after record in viewership. The networks had better decide if they're going to seriously compete in adult programming. Too bad they have the FCC to contend with. Can you imagine a show like ER if it was on cable?

If parents would get off their ass, take responsibility for what their kids watch, quit using TV as a babysitter, and use the parental control technology thats already available to them, the government wouldn't have to do the job for them. When the government censors what's on TV to protect kids, the adult audience has to watch the censored, watered-down versions of the programming as well.

Maybe the big three networks should switch their programming to ABC Family type stuff, and let the cable channels program for grown-ups. They're MUCH better at it.

July 12 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

(t) CSI
23. Brothers and Sisters
24. Veronica Mars
25. New Adevtures of Old Christine

July 12 2007 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Worst lists always make me sad. It just seems a little mean to me. Especially because I'm strangely sensitive when it comes to television. (The phrase "jump the shark" offends me more than any curse word could.)

Glad to see some of my favorite shows on the Best list (I love Heroes, Lost, and Office, and, while I don't always have the oppertunity to watch them, I enjoy 30 Rock and Ugly Betty too), but I've always found that it's kinda pointless to debate Best lists, for me at least. My favorite show is Supernatural, and I think it's one of the best shows on the air now, but it doesn't get a lot of attention and I realize that it's not really going to make a lot of critic's lists.

July 12 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply