July 30, 2014

Traveler: The Reunion

by Erin Martell, posted Jul 12th 2007 12:01PM

Viola Davis

(S01E07) I guess George Costanza was right about fugitive sex. This week, both Jay and Tyler took advantage of their fugitive status to get some action. I would have thought that the guys had better things to do in New York--clearing their names, finding the terrorists, etc. Then again, who am I to complain about scenes that feature a shirtless Matthew Bomer?

The scenes between Tyler and the bartender made me laugh. You know we're living in a changed world when "you look like that bomber guy" is a pick-up line. After making that strange observation, I couldn't believe that the bartender still took Tyler home with her. Considering that Tyler was dumb enough to drunkenly walk around New York, those two might be perfect for each other.

To his credit, Tyler found time after his drunken hook-up to learn the identity of the mysterious Homeland Security Guy. We already knew that Jack Freed had ties to Carlton Fog, but now it appears that he may be getting some help from the FBI. I liked this twist, because it made me curious about the FBI agents in their own right as more than just standard law enforcement characters.

Who is working with Jack Freed? Chambers and Marlow have been questioning one another's decisions since the first episode, so it could be either one of them. Marlow was definitely playing by her own rules in this episode, ditching her partner and running off on her own. At the very least, Jay will have to stop trusting her now that she's pulled a gun on him.

How about that standoff at the end of the episode? Tyler has, for the most part, stopped being the clueless rich kid that we saw in the party flashback. He managed to figure out Freed's identity and his possible connection to the FBI, and he took a cop hostage to help Jay. The guys were lucky that Will showed up at that moment with some extra firepower, because Marlow wasn't messing around.

Will's violent pursuit of revenge was one of the most entertaining parts of this episode. Leaving the guy balancing on the hood of the car--while dangling from a noose, no less--was hilarious. I also loved that Will decided to shoot Maya's killer after he called her the wrong name. I'm bad with names, too, but you'd think that assassins would bother to learn the names of the people they kill in the event that someone like Will comes looking for them.

With only one episode left in the series, I'm hoping (against all past experiences with cancelled shows) that the finale is satisfying and answers most, if not all, of the show's major questions. Who is Joseph? What happened to the Porter, and who is he working for? If the Drexler bombing was part of a larger plan, what is the rest of it? It's unfortunate that the show won't have a second season, but if the finale is done well the show could be a solid DVD hit.

Which FBI agent is working with Jack Freed?
Agent Chambers82 (59.9%)
Agent Marlow18 (13.1%)
Agent Borjes24 (17.5%)
None of them13 (9.5%)

Penny

I was having a good day until I read there will be no season two. I love this show and all its complexities. It never even occurred to me that a show this good wouldn't continue. Okay, now to search for sites on how to keep the show going.

July 16 2007 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

The question is what can we send in to ABC in masses to get them to pick show up?

Maps
mini statue of liberties

we could always ask clay akin

July 15 2007 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg L

I also liked the fact that Will used some sort of Photoshop-ish gamma correction tool to reveal Maya's killer's tattoos in the photo, instead of the annoying "Isolate that tiny area! Blow it up! Enhance it! Enhance it MORE! Perfect!" fiction.

July 14 2007 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
koolbirks

screencaps here! :-)

July 14 2007 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen

i cant believe this show is over too soon... it's the best one ABC's come up... last weeks' episode was so on-the-edge-of -your-seat... i hope, for some reason, it be renewed... i will surely miss watching the three hot guys (jay, tyler and will)...

July 14 2007 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deadboy

They could wrap up the angle with Freed, clear Jay and Tyler. Build on the angle tossed in about bigger things to happen and stretch the conspiracy beyond Freed. Even take Freed out and cover all tracks and leave us all in suspense and sell it to another network, this time one that doesn't suck.

July 13 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

This was one of those shows that took me by surprise (like Heroes) and ended up being one I made time to watch. Unfortunately this will be over too soon.

July 13 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Agreed. This show was over far too soon for me. When the teaser for next week's show ran and they reminded us that there was only one episode left I couldn't believe it.

I doubt we'll get answers to all our questions however. Look at what happened to The Sopranos this year. They had plenty of time to bring in loose ends and it wasn't even close! Admittedly, Traveller hasn't been on nearly as long but I have a difficult time believing we'll all be satisfied with how things wrap up next week.

I've been enjoying this brief summer replacement more than I expected and will be sad to see it go. While the premise lends itself very well to an abbreviated run such as this, I still feel there is a lot of story left to tell. One has only to look to this week's episode to see what I mean. When Jay hooked back up with his girlfriend and was trying to explain that he'd make everything back to how it was before and she replied that everything they had before was gone - their jobs, their home, etc. There is an awful lot of resolution that will be written off once these guys come in and are vindicated. I don't know about you but I'm interested in seeing how the heck Tyler, Jay and their friends and family try to make some semblance of the devastation to their lives. Throw in what Tyler's father did to him and even Will's revenge and there's no way all of that can get squeezed into one episode.

One thing I kept doing this season was to compare Traveller to two other shows that were aired: Prison Break and Daybreak. I thought there was no way Prison Break could run as long as it has given the show's premise yet they've managed to make it interesting these past two seasons and are heading into a third. Traveller could have had a similar type of run I'm sure. Then of course there is Daybreak - another ABC summer replacement with an almost identical number of shows. Could what happened to that show have possibly been more screwed up??? At least ABC gave us the full run of episodes and we get some kind of closure at the end of the run. I'm STILL waiting to see what happened to close out Daybreak. Well... one more week and my Weds night will be totally open again. Time to rent some movies.

July 13 2007 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

Another excellent episode. I can't believe this show was buried in the summer and won't ever have a second season. Well at least we had these eight episodes and like you I'm hoping for closure in next week's episode.

July 12 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply