October 21, 2014

Great theme song, bad show - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 13th 2007 3:42PM

PsychThis article by TV critic Alan Sepinwall, where he talks about really disliking USA's Psych but loving the theme song, got me thinking: what bad TV shows have really great theme songs?

This is really hard, actually. I'm sure there are more examples of the opposite, great shows that have bad theme songs (or no theme song at all), but trying to come up with a list of bad TV shows that have great theme songs...that's pretty hard. The first one that comes to mind is John From Cincinnati, a show that has really disappointed me but has a great theme song ("Johnny Appleseed," performed by Joe Strummer) and great opening credits (old surfing footage). But other shows that I come up with - Gilligan's Island, for example - don't exactly have "great" theme songs, they're more fun in a nostalgic sort of way (and I'm not even sure I would call Gilligan's Island a "bad" show, because it goes beyond that to simple entertainment in that nostalgic way).

So what about you, readers? What TV shows can you think of that are bad but just happen to have a really cool theme song? (Edit: The Psych theme embeded after the jump)

MaT

CSI Miami ... horrible show - mostly because of the horrible actor (David Caruso) in the lead. All he does is slip his "cool shades" on or off his homely face about 15 times a show, while uttering one 5 or 6 word sentence in deadpan monotone. Ugh! The worst!
Great opening theme though- The Who!

July 31 2007 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
XannaDont

Had to look it up at IMDB, but there was a short-lived Chris Elliott sit-com called Get A Life; he played a 30-yr-old paper boy. I remembered reading somewhere that the show paid a fortune for its opening theme, "Stand" by REM. Awesome song by one of the best bands ever.

July 19 2007 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Psych & John From Cincinnati - both great theme songs and even BETTER shows. Psych is good for the whole family & JFC is a show that actually makes viewers THINK - god forbid.

July 16 2007 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

i dig psych, and was surprised to see it in the article at all. how bad does this critic think it is? while the 'mysteries' are usually on the silly side it has solidly witty writing and a great rapport between the cast. to me the theme song is just an r.e.m. retread with pretty stupid lyrics. it's catchy, but not great.

my favorite new theme is for the adult swim series 'saul of the molemen.' (hilarious land of the lost parody) with trey parker from south park singing.

July 15 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I agree with Bill -- I love "Psych", but I've always hated the theme song.

Maybe it's just me, but if I don't like a show, I usually don't know it well enough to actually know its theme song. I just won't watch it at all.

July 15 2007 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippersgirl

I love Psych. One of my favorite new shows.

I agree with ( bad shows, good tunes) Greatest American Hero, Gilmore Girls, Dawsons Creek, CSI Miami- painful to watch.

An ancient show no one probably remembers Coronet Blue, loved the music but the show sank like a stone. I'll get battered for this one... the Sopranos, great theme song, never got into the show.

July 14 2007 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cuzzy

Love Monkey - The Odds

Regenesis (altho I like the show)

Survivor

90210 haha

July 14 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

"Baba O'Reilly" is on CSI: NY. CSI: Miami's song is "Won't Get Fooled Again"

July 14 2007 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Hmm... I like Psych but have never cared for the theme song. I'm still holding out hope on John From Cincinnati, but that theme song is excellent (it's Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, btw).

July 13 2007 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

The theme song for The Loop, (Hockey Monkey) was the perfect theme for the show, in season 1! Season 2 it just doesent fit, without the intro with Sam driveing home and changing cloths.. One Tree Hill's theme song is also prefect for me.. it just hits the whole tone of the show!! Psych's theme song is also pretty cool, and totaly hits the tone of the show, and the show is a GREAT show not bad.. im prettyt sure thats a type-o in the article!...

Well on to that topic of great shows with bad theme-songs... Hmm.. Well how about Lost..? (if you can even call that a theme song! :D)

July 13 2007 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply