December 21, 2014

Mandy Patinkin to be let go from Criminal Minds?

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 13th 2007 9:05AM
Criminal MindsYes, you read right. It is possible that Mandy Patinkin, lead of CBS' Criminal Minds, be let go from the show. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello's reports that after he failed to show up for work, it was decided to write him out of the season premiere.

Ausiello tried to get to the bottom of this but wasn't able to find out why the actor decided not to show up. The gossip columnist speculates that Patinkin is probably "embroiled in some kind of nasty contract stand-off with the network." This doesn't mean that Patinkin is off the show entirely, at least for now. But the TV Guide article also mentions that the show is currently casting for a character that is similar to Patinkin's character. Could it be that the actor will leave the show (or be fired)? Of maybe they are just adding a new regular/recurring cast member in case Patinkin decides to take off?

Can Criminal Minds survive without Mandy Patinkin? One thing is for sure, Dead Like Me fans would love for Patinkin to free up his schedule and give a call to the DLM movie people to have his character Rube somehow written in the made-for-DVD movie.

Edited on July 15 to add: TV Guide's Ausiello confirms that Patinkin is returning for the show but only for 1 episode in order to wrap his character's storyline.

jane mashburn

Mandy Pantikin is the crux of the show; he and Charles Gibson.

Whatever it takes, get him back!!!! My husband says he is not watching the show without Mandy Pantikin.
Arlington, TX

September 27 2007 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peg

I think it would hurt the show if Mandy Patinkin doesn't return. He helps make the show more interesting, it is the whole ensemble that goes so well together. I hate it when someone leaves the show that was such a main character. I liked his laid back character, it helped to make the show as far as I am concerned. I will probably quit watching it if he leaves. Let the negotiations begin to get him back. If you don't I bet you only last this season and then will be canceled.

September 10 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

I think the show is dead after the next season, unless they find someone that plays the role like he did, he was just off enough to be perfect for the role, Im not sure anyone can fill his shoes in this one.

July 16 2007 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roy

Mandy Patinkin definitely would be missed. My wife and I have watched the show from the beginning; and, thought he is not the leader of the team, he is the father figure. I won't say I would stop watching if he left, be it would be a huge void.

July 14 2007 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

Well, he's OUT!!!

And apparently, he hasn't been fired or anything, he just "quit" but without telling anyone!

July 14 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goatsmiles

Mandy IS the show. Axe Mandy and you axe the show. This man is too responsible to NOT show up unless something serious is wrong and maybe he needs it kept quiet for now until he deals with it first. Give him a break. What if he is in the beginning of Alzheimers disease? It'd not be his fault and he'd still have another another 5 or more good working years ahead. Early onset Alzheimers begins in one's 40's and doesn't become a regular for 10 years or so. Leave him alone. Wait to see if this becomes a pattern. Then see if it's a medical problem. Mandy IS Criminal Minds. Mandy is who pulls the group together. he cohesiveness to the team. He is NOT replacable.

July 14 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Olle Johansson

While Patinkin was the reason I started watching CM, he definately isn't why I stayed with it. The show is actually quite bland, but it's the the entire cast that makes it watchable. It wouldn't really matter if he left now, although I would miss him. The only characters that would break the show for me if they left is Dr Reid and the hot chick.

July 14 2007 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

My biggest concern when CM started was that it appeared written around Mandy Patinkin. Once it began airing of course it was much more an ensemble show than I expected it to be and because of that, it flourished. Two seasons in the cast continues to tighten up and although he would be missed and the general flavor of the show would change, it is certainly not the end of the road.

Criminal Minds is NOT CSI where Gil Grissom has been the cast anchor for seven seasons. The show is still in its relative infancy and while Gideon is certainly a key player in the office, life could and would go on without him. Each of the supporting cast members has been given a well developed role to play and I feel "connected" to each of them equally. Hotch, Morgan, Reid, Garcia, JJ and even Prentiss are a terrific team that really and truly have no weak links. In fact, the direction the season finale took almost demands that someone take a fall - right now they are gunning for Hotch but it seems totally within Gideon's character to step in and save his ass.

I do agree that Gideon has been cast as the team mentor and that may in fact be Mandy Patinkin's undoing. Now that the show is well established, I can see far more interesting plot developments as the team adjusts to a leader who is a much less effective mentor than Gideon was. The way he took Reid in under his wing was especially well done. If Gideon leaves, the team would naturally look to Hotch as a surrogate. There could be an substantial amount of friction created by someone new who disagreed with Hotch's direction.

I love this show - it is one of the shows I truly make an effort to see "live" each week. While it would change the show to lose Gideon, I would rather he leave now while the show is young than later on when it would damage what they've accomplished so far. Heck, look how well ER has performed with all of their key cast leaving the show. Why should cast changes at CM be treated differently?

July 14 2007 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Hotch the leader? Gideon is just his senior field agent. I gathered that Hotch was the leader from the season finale where the team might be trying to be dismantled anyways and that high-up chick was talking to Hotch about it.

July 14 2007 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Moncur

At the beginning of the series I would have said it was hopeless without Patinkin, but now I'm not so sure.

Hotchner, although a very generic character, does do well as a leader, and I enjoy the quirkiness of Reid and Garcia. If Matthew Gubler (Reid) left the show I'd stop watching, but otherwise I'll wait and see.

I think it would be a BIG mistake to bring in another "Gideon-like" character to fill in the whole. Either promote Hotch or bring in someone COMPLETELY different, someone the entire cast has trouble trusting.

July 14 2007 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply