December 19, 2014

Guess who the lowest paid network anchor is

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 16th 2007 3:42PM

Charles GibsonAll this talk about Katie Couric's low ratings, how people don't like her, her New York interview, etc, etc. But did you know that she's actually the highest paid of the three nightly network news anchors?

Couric makes around $15 million a year. Over at NBC, Brian Williams is making around $10 million a year. Charlie...sorry, Charles Gibson? He has the most buzz right now but he actually makes the least, around $8 million a year. He didn't get a raise (nor did he want one) when he made the jump from Good Morning America to ABC World News (though I assume he'll get one when his contract is renewed in two years). He says the money thing is "irrelevent." Well, it would be to me too if I was getting $8 million a year.

So here we go again: yet more ammunition for the "Katie is bad, Charles is good" crowd.

[via TV Newser]

shelly

I really wish the TODAY show would get rid of annoying to the point of embarassment, Ann Curry and her fake laugh that is so offensive. Al roker I can not even stand to look at that n*gger, let alone listen to anything coming out of his ugly unfunny mouth.When I occasionaly tune in to this show I will either mute them or end up changing the channel.

July 20 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess

Katie isn't simply reading. She's giving up all rights to a private, "normal" life. She has to pay security to deal with psychotic stalkers wanting to harm her and relentless photographers wanting to capture her most embarrassing moments; she has to deal with lies and criticism by unethical, ignominious gossip magazines and the half-wits that read them, the subjects having nothing to do with her anchor position. Everything she does and says is scrutinized by judgmental morons, and that's just the start of what she has to endure in exchange for that limousine and life of luxury. I personally enjoy my privacy and sanity, so I'll keep the $80 grand for my position as a court reporter and in return keep my sanity. I wouldn't mind the limousine though.

July 17 2007 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave melegari

$ 15,000,000.00 she should be naked doing the news for that kind of money,and then take back $14,999,999.00, what warrants a paycheck like this?
she reads everything from a prompt!

July 17 2007 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MercedesD

I had no clue anchors made salaries in the millions. The Occupational Job Books at the libraries must be
prehistoric. How do the networks justify these exorbitant salaries for such a short period of camera
time each day? I also agree that salaries for "movie stars" are ridiculous. It's not surprising it cost so many millions of dollars to get a movie out there...it's all about the salaries.

July 17 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I would do Katie's job for $1,000.000.00 the first year with a conservative 5% increase each year thereafter. It would take decades to get up to $15 million.
Are you listening CBS????

July 17 2007 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peggy

I agree with most of the above people that Charlie Gibson is the best news anchor. I used to watch Brian Williams before Charlie was promoted. I never watch Katie. She is not in the right job for her talents. I don't understand how CBS cannot see that. Charlie, you can give the raise you didn't want to Charity, or to some teachers who do need a raise in salaries. I am not a teacher by the way.

July 17 2007 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

$15 Million... Is that the going price now for Integrity and honesty these days?, some one is getting ripped off and it isn't the Networth.

July 17 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Camille King

I know news anchors are paid a lot of money, but no one takes into consideration that when they do start their career, they travel from City to City no matter what state the news is in. They don't have those outrageous salary and they most times are forced to move to another state away from their family just to get a better salary. Everyone just looks at the end result when 20 years later they are making millions.

July 17 2007 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie hall

I think Charlie Gibson and Diane Sawyer both deserve their salaries. I have never seen either of these people be "pompous" or arrogant. I am a registered nurse, I work the night shift in a nursing home, taking care of elderly alzheimers patients. Of course I am paid well for what I do, but I am not a celebrity. I tape Charlie and Good Morning America when I'm working. I admire both of these people as journalists.

July 17 2007 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yes celebs, anchors, and generaly speaking all persons in the public eye are overpaid. But will those of you who are so negative about Katie just leave her alone. Of course CBS had to offer big bucks to get her off and away from the Today Show. She is a doll and lets not forget is 50 now !!!!!!! I DID enjoy her more on the Today Show but my loss is her gain. Good for you Katie and just do your BEST

July 17 2007 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply