November 1, 2014

Mandy Patinkin is leaving Criminal Minds

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 17th 2007 8:31AM

Mandy Patinkin not returning to Criminal MindsLast Friday intrepid TV Squad reporter Isabelle Carreau posted an item about Criminal Minds lead Mandy Patinkin not returning to the CBS drama. Now it has been confirmed by both ABC Studios and CBS Paramount Network Television that Patinkin is definitely not returning to the program for the new season.

In press releases sent to the hugely palatial TV Squad offices both ABC and CBS stated that Mandy left the show due to "creative differences" and not because of contract renegotiations or salary disputes. As Isabelle reported in an update to her post Patinkin will return for one episode early next season that will explain his departure from the series. In the meantime, a new character will be added to Criminal Minds to fill his spot.

Having never seen an episode of the show I cannot say whether this will be good or bad for the program; you can tell me that in the comments section. However, what I can say is this all seems very familiar when it comes to Patinkin. Back in the 1990's Mandy left another CBS drama, Chicago Hope, after only one season. The reason, he said, was to spend more time with his family, which to many people meant that he had issues with the way the show was going.

Samantha

Mandy is one of the reason the show was so great. The quiet arrogance about him brought some realistic qualities to the show. He will be greatly missed, after tonight I doubt I watch the show again, especially if CBS has brought in Joe Montagna to replace him.

October 10 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I remember when Patinkin left Chicago Hope. It was a great show with him on it, but after his departure it began it's painfully slow demise. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Criminal Minds. It's such a good program.

October 10 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

I was real sad to hear Mandy was leaving, I hope all is ok in his life, he is such a presence in anything he does & i for one hope he changes his mind ........

October 08 2007 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MsJeepGurl

I love the role of Gideon, he is the brains of the show. But I"ll keep watching just for Shemar! Man, they could just sit on on a stool and let us stare at him for an hour! And I love the picking and playing between him and Garcia on the show, its great! The show will be fine, and Mandy will be missed :)

October 06 2007 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen Sutton

I loved Mandy on the show. His eyes and the looks he gave really worked well for his character. I will miss him, but will continue to watch the great show.

October 04 2007 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debi foss

He was in 54 episodes of Chicago Hope, not one season.

October 03 2007 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Virginia

I will miss Mandy. I believe his character held the team together. Each character is strong on their own, but Mandy made them a team. He was truly believable as a profiler. The new cast member will really have to pull it together.

October 02 2007 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennie

That is too bad, however I am sure Joe Mantegna will be awesome! Mandy Patinkin is a brilliant actor. I would love to see him do more stage productions.

October 01 2007 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j Sirigu

The departure of Mandy is going to be the end of this series. I agree that the other cast members are good but he is really the reason I ever watched - he is a fantastic actor and brings something no other actor can. When you get used to an actor no one else can fill their shoes - the departure of Elle for example the replacement just does not do it. DOn't even know her name she is so insignificant. SPencer is good but when the witers made him a drug addict that ruined it for me. Mandy's leaving will be the end of my watching - I will watch the first two episodes to see how they write him out but no more. Unfortunately I think poor MAndy has some emotional issues as he has done this before. He is a talented singer and actor and as with many brilliant people the suffer from emotional problems as well. Sorry CBS no more Criminal minds

September 30 2007 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbie

i love to watch this show i like all the cast but i like mandy most and will hate to see him go seem like its hard to get used to change but i will still watch

September 27 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply