September 17, 2014

The Emmys: More thoughts and theories

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 19th 2007 11:45AM

FNLLooking at the Emmy nominations announced this morning, one word comes to mind: BORING.

Or maybe two words, if you add "safe." I mean, come on. I don't usually watch Friday Night Lights, Dexter, or Battlestar Galactica, but even I know that those shows should have been nominated for something (beyond technical and writing awards). Instead we get...Tony Shalhoub again? He's fine, but there has to be someone else who they can plug in there. Grey's Anatomy and House for Best Drama? That's not to say that the shows nominated aren't good and solid, but when you take a look at the dramas that were left out...gah.

Beyond the major nominations (Best Comedy, Best Drama, Lead Actor and Actress, etc), there are other nominations where a lot of your favorite shows actually show up. After the jump, I'll highlight several.

I mentioned in the liveblog this morning that Studio 60 wasn't nominated. But it was! It got noms for Outstanding Cast, Cinematography, Direction, and Eli Wallach got an Outstanding Guest nomination for his role as the old TV writer who came back to the studio.

Were you aware that Standoff got a nomination? It's true! For Outstanding Main Titles, along with Dexter, Hustle, Ugly Betty, The Path To 9/11 and The Lost Room.

On The Lot got a nom too, for Outstanding Main Title Theme, along with The Tudors, 30 Rock, Hustle, and Dexter.

For Best Mini-Series, the nominees are The Starter Wife, Broken Trail, and Prime Suspect: The Final Act.

There's a category called Outstanding Music and Lyrics, and "Dick in a Box" was nominated! Wouldn't it be great to see those guys accept the award wearing boxes? The other nominees are songs from Scrubs (two noms), MadTV, and Family Guy.

Jon Stewart got a nomination for Outstanding Individual Performance In A Variety or Music Program, along with David Letterman, Ellen DeGeneres, Tony Bennett, and Stephen Colbert.

Here are the nominees for Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Kevin Dillon and Jeremy Piven (Entourage), Rainn Wilson (The Office), Neil Patrick Harris (HIMYM), and Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men). Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Jaime Pressly (My Name Is Earl), Jenna Fischer (The Office), Conchata Ferrell and Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men), Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds), and Vanessa Williams (Ugly Betty).

For Supporting Actor in a Drama, it's William Shatner (Boston Legal), T.R. Knight (Grey's Anatomy - take that Isaiah Washington!), Masi Oka (Heroes), Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson (Lost), and Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos). Supporting Actress in a Drama: Rachel Griffiths (Brothers & Sisters), Chandra Wilson, Katherine Heigl and Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy), Lorraine Bracco and Aida Turturro (The Sopranos). I wonder why these categories aren't mentioned during the nomination announcements on TV.

Weirdest nominations: Dancing with the Stars, for Outstanding Make-Up (Non-Prosthetic) in this season's episode 3 (?). Shouldn't Heather Mills get a nomination for something? Inside The Actor's Studio gets a nom for Outstanding Non-Fiction Series?!

Here's a list of the major nominees, and here's a list of all the nominees, including the ones I talked about above.

tiffany

"Grey's Anatomy" and "Heroes" are the best shows on television *hands down*.

September 17 2007 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

What did Sally Field say that was so bad that she was censored? This is 2007 in the USA isn't it?

September 16 2007 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

How many of the actresses have done the ridiculously fake "head-looking-back-over-the-shoulder" pose tonight?

September 16 2007 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kendel

So far no big surprises for me. As far as the Pre-Emmy shows, they were all so bad, Especially the one on the tv guide chanel. Who's idea was it to hire that Joey dude to do that!???! Fashion wise they were all misses. I didn't ssee 1 standout in the whole bunch. And what the heck has happened to Jane Seymore. Holy cow the years have NOT been kind to that woman!

September 16 2007 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Come on now, it is so obvious that Two and a half Men is a far better comedy then Ugly Betty. I can't believe so many people actually like Ugly Betty. I tried more then once to get interested but it is so kooky. I never even thought it would make it to a second season. How could they take Men In Trees off the air and leave on Unly Betty? You got me there.

September 16 2007 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan V

I am glad the Soprano's are "whacked", they were a disgrace to the good Italian community, that has been trying to "rub out" the imagine that they perpetuated for far to long. It was the "Amos and Andy" of our century. Arrivederci and good riddens..............

September 16 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda Hoffman

Oh, and incase you're wondering Ugly Betty on Univision is called "La Fea mas Bella" (the Ugly most Pretty)

and I also forgot, Studio 60 should have recieved more noms. That show was fantastic.

September 16 2007 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda Hoffman

So I was just on the AOL "vote for your emmy picks" website and I must say, the general population is even more misguided than the emmy voters. Come on people! Turn off ABC and FOX for two seconds and try something new! Channels like Bravo, FX, and even Comedy Central produce great television shows that actually have a heart, not just a big budget. And countless other channels do too! Open your horizons a little bit!

Oh, and Ugly Betty? Yeah it may have a great cast, but Best Comedy? It's not even original. It's an English version of the Spanish telenovela. How can something that we stole from somewhere else be considered "Best Comedy"?

September 16 2007 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb

Why is anyone form Two and a Half Men even nominated? This show is so stupid! WHat about the fanatastic cast of How I Met your Mother?! Much better show..funny and a cast of terrific characters too!

September 16 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I see the Emmy's snubbed CSI once again so I wo'nt waste my time watching this year, CSI is the best show on TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 16 2007 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply