April 21, 2014

24 has a new President, and it's a woman

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 21st 2007 10:11AM
Cherry JonesThe rumors are true: 24 has gone with a woman to be the President of the United States for its upcoming season.

The show has tapped Cherry Jones for the part. She is a veteran actress who you might remember as Matt Damon's mom in Ocean's Twelve. She's made several appearances on Broadway in plays such as Doubt, Imaginary Friends and A Moon For The Misbegotten.

This is a very cool choice. Not just to actually go ahead and make the role female but to cast Jones. She's a good actress, and has that been-there, commanding air that the role demands.

Suex

A female president is not the worst of it. They are also going green. They have lost me.

July 27 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

1iPete....she's in a wheelchair,too

July 23 2007 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

I think they should go all out with the new president and make her an atheist, closet lesbian who has a beard marriage with a former illegal immigrant.

July 22 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

they should have asked Geena Davis!

July 22 2007 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I would like to see why Daniels is not the Prez this season. If it is because his term is up, then Jack must be in his mid 50's with all the fast forwards this show has taken between seasons.

July 22 2007 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OKA

nice spoilers, thanks a lot.

July 21 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

i have to concur with jim, it really would be stretching to find an 'evil' democrat on tv or in the movies. i dont really care who is the president on 24 (they already killed my one true love - David Palmer) as long as its a show about Jack Bauer not '24' with special guest appearance by Jack Bauer.

Season 8 will have a Gay Hispanic president who has converted to Ba'hai and they will have had all their bases covered.

July 21 2007 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JimS

"it would be substantially unfair if a popular television show was devoted to portraying them in a negative light."

You obviously have no fricking idea how funny and ironic your comment is. Name me a recent hollywood movie (or indy for that matter) or tv show (other than 24) that DIDN'T portray the bad guys as the Republicans????? My god you are living in your own little fantasy world. I guess I am outed... I am a conservative posting in a world of twenty-something idealists.

July 21 2007 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Like the casting of Cherry Jones as the new president. NOT liking the prospect of yet another president. I know 24 is fantasy, having seven presidents within three terms? That is really stretching. Unless they're going to pick the story back up four years into the future (which I doubt).

I guess the writers wanted to have the last two presidential terms in 24 land parallel each other.

Last term: Republican John Keeler elected. Critically injured in plane crash. VP Charles Logan takes office.
Logan is forced out due to his criminal actions. VP Hal Gardner takes office.

Current term: Democrat Wayne Palmer elected. Critically injured in bombing. VP Noah Daniels takes office. Daniels forced out (cause to be determined). Female VP (or Speaker of House?) takes office.

We'll have to wait, but initially I'm seeing the female pres as more Nancy Pelosi than Hillary Clinton.

July 21 2007 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Hopefully a fresh face as president means fresh plot lines for the executive branch.

July 21 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply