July 24, 2014

A Family Guy flick and the return of The Winner?

by Adam Finley, posted Jul 23rd 2007 3:01PM

the winnerThe answer is maybe. The Hollywood Reporter writes that creator Seth MacFarlane is looking at the possibility of doing a Family Guy movie sometime in the future, which makes sense because it's much harder to make movies in the past.

One plan McFarlane mentioned was to have former Family Guy scribe Ricky Blitt come back to work on the film script. It's worth noting that none of this is official, and that a basic plot for a Family Guy film hasn't even been thought up, though McFarlane does state he doesn't want to do a huge movie like the upcoming Simpsons Movie, but rather a smaller story focusing on the Griffin family.

Speaking of Ricky Blitt, his short-lived series The Winner --which starred Rob Corddry as a man looking back to the '90s when he was thirty-two and just starting to make it on his own, along with his thirteen year old best friend, Josh-- might be returning.

Really? When? How? Where?

Nobody knows, as MacFarlane, an executive producer on the series, did not give any details. So don't get your hopes up too high, fans of the show. Still, any glimmer of hope is nice. I thought the series was a lot of fun, mostly because of the naive and amicable character of Glen Abbott (Corddry). It was a sitcom that wasn't afraid to spoof the conventions of the sitcom, an inside gag I think a lot of people took at face value.

ctunightfall

As long as they're plagiarizing, the FG movie should be played with marionettes in a nondescript mountain town.

July 24 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I hate The Family Guy--it's the worst sort of plagiarism. However I loved The Winner for the reasons mentioned in the post. The dynamic between Corrdry and the kid's characters were fantastic.

July 23 2007 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Shapiro

A Family Guy movie makes total sense because the show is a total rip off of the Simpsons.

And since the SImpson's are coming out with a movie, it would make sense for the rip off to follow suit and come out with their own movie.

July 23 2007 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

nope, the family guy movie was just three episodes all into one, with some scenes too graphic for tv, like vic mackey's "brother" but it wasn't really a feature film. although that didn't stop a lot of fans, including myself, from buying it

July 23 2007 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

The winner sucked harder than a thai streethore. It should remain dead. To be honest they should only dig it up to put a stake through it's heart if you ask me.

July 23 2007 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

Didn't Family guy already release a (albeit direct-to-DVD) movie?

July 23 2007 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fabrice

I found myself laughing silly at the 'in the past' joke. lol

July 23 2007 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

I thought the Winner was a great way to waste time while working online. That's because it was posted online before hand, and I got to devour four episodes in one day. I can't imagine actually sitting down to watch this show, but it was a good thing to put on my second computer screen.

July 23 2007 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

Interesting. I didn't watch the Winner, it just wasn't my style, though I enjoy Family Guy and American Dad. I do have to give it props for spoofing the conventions of the three camera sitcoms.

July 23 2007 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply