April 24, 2014

CBS launches 'Slap Bet Countdown'

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 24th 2007 6:26PM
how i met your mother; himym; slap betThe Slap Bet is coming! The Slap Bet is coming!

CBS is finally showing a little love for one of the best comedies on television, How I Met Your Mother, by launching this countdown clock to the next Slap Bet. What is a Slap Bet? Only the greatest subplot ever. In last season's "Robin Sparkles" episode, Marshall didn't have any money to bet Barney on why Robin refused to go to the mall, so they agreed that the loser of the bet got a slap. There was some "premature slapulation" and Marshall ended up with five slaps, to dole out against Barney at any time from here to eternity. By the way, if you haven't seen the episode, please take some time to go over to this HIMYM MySpace website. It will get you hooked on the series.

Fans will remember that Marshall still owes Barney three slaps. Apparently the next one is coming in just about four months.

How do you fans feel, knowing exactly when another slap is coming?

Ben Reich

I bet it's the Thanksgiving episode.

July 25 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Jen you didn't sound harsh. And if I or others couldn't take that we'd be internet newbies :-)

Anyway, it's just that "Slap bet" has been mentioned here so much it gets a bit tiring. That's all.

I don't think CBS is over-hyping the show - hell TV Squad employees almost seemed relieved HIMYM got renewed - for me that was a sure bet but I guess you never know. So hyping it maybe is a good thing to do and I should just shut up and enjoy :-)

July 25 2007 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bella

How I Met Your Mother is a great comedy and I think the slap bet count down was a brilliant idea on the writer’s parts to get ratings up. The slap bet was hysterical and can’t wait for the next one to finally debut. Now its going to be fun to see how the slap is incorporated into the episode.

July 25 2007 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Jen, dont feel bad. David has a nack for always being negative. Even on shows he likes.

July 25 2007 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

I wouldn't mind knowing when one or two are coming; that could be fun, but at least one more needs to be completely random.

July 24 2007 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I've been with the show from the beginning and I'm happy to learn so many other viewers were curious enough to check that episode out and have gotten hooked! I was surprised to learn the show was on the bubble. Anyway about this post here... I'm happy to know that there will be a slap bet, I mean we all expected it, but I think that would have sufficed. Having a clock (I haven't checked it yet) can ruin the fun of the slap seemingly coming out organically during a situation (like when Barney put on that one-man play). But if the clock creates interest in the show and brings more viewers in, then I'm all for it! So in conclusion: as a fan looking forward to the new episodes the clock isn't something I'm crazy about, but as a fan who hopes the show to continue successfully and garner more viewers, I'm all for it.

July 24 2007 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nutjob

So, if I did the math right, the next slap is coming on Monday, November 19 at 8:28:24 pm.
I'm in the mountain time zone; I didn't bother to decipher the java code on the countdown webpage to determine if that is taken into account.
In any case, it looks like it will be very near the end of the episode.

July 24 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Sorry if that rant sounded anywhere near 'harsh'.. didn't mean for it. Just voicing my opinion like the rest. :)

July 24 2007 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Overhyped?? By the network? No that can't be it. By the media,.. hmm nope not them. Oh wait by the fans of the show - nope they're just enjoying one of their favorite shows - a show that doesn't have a MASSIVE following like that of say, Friends. Which by the way, Friends had an "overhyped" storyline ~ Ross & Rachel. Because even those that didn't watch the show knew about it and the media spewed it everywhere.

Maybe you are just very aware of the story because maybe you're a frequent reader of TVSquad and maybe a few other blogs or fansites that have talked about it.

It's not an overhyped subplot. It's become something of a nod to the fans. Continuity is hard to come by in sitcoms sometimes and this is a nice little fresh breeze. Something that fans who enjoy the simple humor and inside jokes look forward to seeing - and even more so when you know the writers are staying true to such a small details. Many shows would have tossed it by the next episode and never mentioned it again.

July 24 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I have to agree with ironcladlou above. I had never seen an episode before but based on the post here I took watched on the myspace page and have since watched every episode I could get my hands on via DVD or rerun (not the type to illegally torrent though I’ll admit the temptation is greater than ever for HIMYM). I can’t wait for Season 3!

But I do have to say, from my cynical side, that this is a VERY little love on CBS’ part. Domains cost $7 and that flash clock would take any web developer less than 10 minutes to build. Still nice but not really a grand gesture or anything

(if anyone from CBS is reading this, a grand gesture would be putting all the season 2 episodes up to watch online (or via iTunes) so those of us who have just been hooked don't have to break the law to catch up)

July 24 2007 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply