November 28, 2014

The Closer: Dumb Luck

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 24th 2007 4:41PM
the closer(S03E06) So... what's wrong with Brenda? She's getting fevers, she's highly emotional and weepy, and she feels like she has a cold. It seemed like the writers were hinting to us that she's pregnant because of her weepiness, irritability and her apparent craving for mashed potatoes. But, what about the fevers? I went on to WebMD to try and figure it out and I'm stumped.

Brenda's mysterious health problems seemed like they were the point of this episode, and not the crime she was solving. Heck, I solved the crime before she did. When the big, dumb personal trainer kept insisting that Wednesday was the 25th, I knew he got his dates and his murder victims mixed up. And I knew right away that the dumb blonde was the one who hired him to kill her husband, not her boyfriend.

I enjoyed the two dumb characters: the killer and the wife, but I did not enjoy the obsessive-compulsive valet. Like a handful of other guest actors, he took his character a little over the top. He was waaaay to nervous and trembling and seemed a little like Rainman and less like someone who has obsessive-compulsive disorder. He needed his floss like Dustin Hoffman needed his Wapner. Except Dustin Hoffman did it much better. I was annoyed by him the same way I was annoyed by the killer in the season premiere, who slobbered and snotted all over himself in the interview room. Talk about trying to steal a scene!

But, like I said, the crime really wasn't what was important in this episode. The point of this one was to advance the budget cuts plot by requiring the priority homicide team to train for terrorist attacks so they could get funding from the federal government, and to open up a new storyline about Brenda's mysterious health issue. Brenda met with a doctor at the end of the episode, so maybe next week we'll learn his diagnosis. Brenda seemed like she already knew it was something serious and so she was avoiding being told about it. That's kind-of why I don't think it's pregnancy. Good Lord-- could you imagine Dep. Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson with a baby? She can barely keep herself together. Plus, I'm not so sure I'd welcome such a dramatic change in character. Fritz definitely has to be the stay-at-home dad in that situation.

A couple of great one-liners from the dumb blonde wife:

"The last time I valeted my car the attendant guy stole my pot so I don't valet my car anymore."

"This is a tapestry of justice. That's what it is. A complete tapestry!"

What is wrong with Brenda?
Pregnant50 (19.5%)
Early menopause124 (48.4%)
Some serious disease46 (18.0%)
Stress36 (14.1%)

Gordy

I say 'Strange Disease'. The made a point of making her look baaaaaad this episode. Pregnant women might feel bad, or tired, but I've never seen one look as awful as Brenda did.

Also, I agree with Anna Johns, I knew the killer as soon as the date mix-up was seen. Brenda was slippin' this week.

July 25 2007 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Calvert

Something just dawned on me. Before the current season began, Kyra was on the talk show rounds and she DID say that Brenda would face a major medical situation this season; but she wouldn't say more than that which was fine with me because I don't like spoilers. I want to go along for the ride week to week.

I also agree with Tammy that the supporting characters seem to be coming into their own a little bit more each week. Whoever cast this show was brilliant in their choices. Improving on it would be very difficult.

July 25 2007 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I voted for "strange disease" and my guess would be lupus. I'm certainly not wishing it on her, but I think it's a disease that needs to get a spotlight like this on national TV, as cancer did with 'Murphy Brown'.

July 25 2007 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

How about when Flynn asked Brenda if she wanted to know which drugs OCD valet was on. "Nooo." Hehe.
And Flynn to Tau - "you can take your mask off now," ... and voila...not Tau. Love the looks on their faces.
And Pope's face kinda blowing up on seeing the mayhem in the squad room.
The Closer totally makes my Mondays!

I voted that she is pregnant, only because I think a little Fritizie-poo won't be a bad thing (I am still young and foolish, so I am still entitled to believe in fairy tales!) My second choice is that she does have a strange disease. Either way, the show might have to take a (scary) dramatic turn, but I have to say, with the way the writers have upclassed it this season, I trust them. Writers, do me proud!

A thought just occurred to me: what if all of it is a fluke? Will I still like the writers if this is all a fake-out? Hmmm.

July 24 2007 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Was that a regular doctor or a psychiatrist that Fritz brought home? Not sure why but I got a feeling it might be the later at the end. I sometimes overthink plots thanks to shows like Lost.

I voted for Stress because of the whole budget situation, Sgt Gabriel situation, buying a house with Fritz situation, her parents, etc. There has been alot piling up on poor little ol' Brenda Lee lately. Can't stress manifest it's way physically?

Margaret.... I have to agree with you on when Lt. Provenza said "Thank You, Thank You Very Much!" I snorted out loud to that quote. I love him more and more each week. I feel like the writers really have worked on growing the supporting characters this season and it pays off in little scenes like this one.

July 24 2007 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Calvert

I went through menopause in my early 50's and it hit me like a ton a bricks. I could believe Brenda might be headed that way. The fever made me decide against pregnancy, although I've never been pg myself.

I loved this show - but I say that every week. The humor in this episode blew me away. Provenza's imitation of Brenda's "Thank you. Thank you very much" when he presented the various receipts made me laugh out loud and I replayed his "speech" three or four times. I watched the entire program again today during my lunch hour. The ditzy blonde was wonderfully over the top and had some great lines - "I almost peed myself a little" being a favorite, but there were others. I gotta hand it to Fritz, he's hanging in there for his Lady Love. There were just too many good one-liners to list them all. I look forward to the next episode every day. If Damages is half as good as the PR would have us believe, I'll have two nights in a row of strong women in the legal arena. I watched Saving Grace last evening strictly because of Holly Hunter and it sure seems to have possibilities, too; but it also seems to be a different breed of cat compared to the other two shows. I hope the program does well for several reasons. I'm loving seeing these strong, exceptional, multi-talented actresses sink their acting chops into these characters -- and don't forget that Shark (James Woods) is the male counterpart with a fantastic show. I'm already going nuts waiting for the second season of that to start. These actors who gnaw their way through the scenery totally grab me.

July 24 2007 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Early menopause would explain the fever (hot flashes) and the fatigue. Granted I do not know how early it can start - off to WebMD I guess.

I loved the line about Buzz being an adopted Tau as well as his line asking if he would have to over explain everything!

July 24 2007 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply