April 24, 2014

Boy, that Roloff house sure is messy!

by Richard Keller, posted Jul 26th 2007 10:01AM

The Roloffs -- Great Family with a messy houseI have to get something off of my chest. Something has bugged me about Little People, Big World ever since its premiere that I can't get out of my mind. While it may seem minor to some, it just makes me feel uncomfortable when I see the show. I'm not talking about the Roloffs themselves. On the contrary, I think what Matt and Amy do on a daily basis should be commended and be an example to all of us that we can do anything if we put our minds to it.

No, what is really getting my nipples in a bunch is . . . well, maybe I should let TV Squad commenter Cor expresses my sentiments:

I have been dismayed by the mess in the home. I understood before the redo that they may not have had enough room but even in the new shows the place is a mess. There is no reason for all the clothes to be all over the floor in the living room, dining room, etc. With four kids they could be assigned a room to keep it picked up.

To that I reply with a hearty 'Amen'!

I understand they have four teenage children (3 teenagers and one tween, to be exact), and I know that both Matt and Amy are constantly working, but do you think they could clean up the house a little bit? I mean, there's reality TV and then there is too much reality TV. Sometimes I just feel the urge to hop on a flight to Oregon so I can stop by their house to clean it up.

Basically, I see it as a discipline issue. If you have watched the show you can tell that the kids don't seem to respect their mother and father, especially the twins Zach and Jeremy. Of course, they're the ones that make the most mess. Did you ever see their room? Good Lord! it's like a garbage bomb exploded in it. Teenagers or not, I don't know how they could live like that.

I also believe it has something to do with space relations. The Roloff farm is HUGE, so there's a lot of space to store their stuff on the farm itself. When it comes to the house, though, they don't really know what to do with the space they have available. They tried to clean-up their act (pun intended) last season when they brought someone in to help reorganize their pantry and laundry area. However, it never seemed to work out for them. They need to realize that, even after the renovations they made, their house is only a few thousand square feet.

With the twins reaching college age, and the whole family traveling the country in an RV next season, we may see a change at the Roloff home. Hopefully that will mean we concentrate on what's going on with Matt, Amy, and the kids rather than going "For the love of Pete, clean up after yourselves!"

Ashley

He has too many things going.. now a Wedding Farm?? And apparently their neighbors don't like the loud music so how long do they thinl this project is going to last? So far I've seen him build a castle,the Grand Canyon,atc Pumpkin Patch,etc, and so on,, and now a Wedding Farm?? Hopefully their house will be cleaner with some of the kids gone.I think Matt is ADD to be honest.

December 04 2012 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston Lewis

The Roloffs live on a very large farm. There's planting, caring for crops, outside buildings to maintain, sales they are involved in for part of the year, the "amusement park" that they have plus the kids are all heavily involved in organized sports such as soccer. Also, both parents have are currently engaged in positions of leadership in outside organizations. How the Roloff adults handle it all is beyond me. They have a beautiful home that is cluttered and untidy at times but jeez they have a lot going on in their lives.

October 14 2007 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michele B.

Their house is so unoganized with clutter and clothes everwhere. Their is another reality show were there are 16 children and their house is organized and clean. I think Matt really wants to have it clean, but gets no cooperation from Amy and the kids. The kids are old enough to take responsblity for their own belongings. I'm sure they make enough money to get a maid in twice a month.

September 19 2007 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Ann Benedetto

To the Rodoff Family:

I admire all of you. But I need to comment of the condition of your home. It is a rule I had in my home when my children were growing up. Since we all live here, we all need to contribute to the up keep of this home. And you know, my children are grown and on their on. Their homes are very neat and tidy. My son with three girls is fine except for their rooms. They are supposed to keep it neat but every on in a while, my son (single parent home) goes in their rooms and throws things out. They seem to accummulate toms of things. They end up giving it to charity.

As far as Amy, she does all she can. She maybe a little person but in my eyes she is six feet tall and very much a caring person who does so much to help everyone in her family.

Matt, do you realize that all your dreams cause your family to be a part of them. They are living your dream too. What are Amy's dreams? Maybe we can see one of her dreams come true.

Your children are teenagers and having fun living life. Once they leave home, they will be learning how to live on their own and having a job is an eye opener. I bet they will be productive people. Look at their parents.

I wish you all success and happiness. May God bless you all and keep you safe. May He protect you always.

Mary Ann

September 03 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Come on now. yes they're slobs no doubt about it! having been in law enforcement, and having responded to several calls where the house was a mess, and a minor lived there I called social serviceses child protective service division, and had them come out. the roloffs have a minor in their house jake. what would they do if that where to occur? I know the laws there are different, but come on. We as people are doomed to repeat our past if we don't learn from our mistakes. what do Matt, and Amy think they're teaching their kids about life? That it's o-kay to be a slob. there is no excuse for this. nor is it an excuse for there house to be in the shape that its in.

August 28 2007 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

the boys could help just a liitle bit more around the inside of the home as I see Molly doing more than her fair share.I do recognize they have quite a few farm chores as well,though.We should also keep in mind that it's harder,even since the remodel,for physically challenged people to move around and clean up at an adequate pace to service 4 kids.Amy has a lot of knee problems and one my steps is probably 3 of hers.I just wish the twins would put at least the FITTED sheet on their matress(my own personal pet peave).I think they're great for letting us see the reality of their life and challenges and I'd eat there any day.

August 11 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolores

The old scenario,live and let live.Now that you have off your chest about thier diry,messy house,lets look at the dynamics of the family.I applaud the Roloffs for even allowing us in thier home,things arnt always a bed of roses with no thorns.
While they may seem to lenient with thier children at least they are not trench coat kids,think about it.
Also,lets take a look at all the deversity they encounter on a daily basis.Like Mr Roloff getting picked up for drinking and driving,although shame on him and not a good example for his children,hes human.My concern is,I was picked up for the same years ago and I didnt make headlines.Be it the Hiltons,Richies,whoever,we all go there,I dont today as I quit drinking 25 years ago.
We tand to make big of these things because of the publisity and we all know that.
How clean is your home today and are you living life on lifes terms ?

August 11 2007 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurel

Are you kidding me?!?! We say your house is great just the way it is!!! Our house is that way with only one child.... so a house with 6 people.... ha! And besides that's what makes the show so cool, you don't see Amy running mad, freaking out about the mess, (it is cute when Matt starts wacking stuff around with his cane though) but anyway who cares... they have their own show and YOU don't so just sit back and enjoy this wonderful family and donate some $$ to CODA!! The ROLOFFS ROCK!! Our family loves you guys... don't ever change!! Much Love The Spragues xoxoxox

August 05 2007 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yolanda

What I love about the Roloffs are that they are SO NORMAL!--messy house et al. After watching a few shows, I forgot that Matt, Amy and Zach are "Little People". I saw them as regular Americans struggling with daily problems & challenges just like everybody else. When they stopped airing the shows on Mondays, I was upset-I thought that the series had been cancelled. I am very happy that there is a new season in October.
Matt-keep that wheeling-dealing mind of yours going!!! I admire you and how you constantly think of ways to make ROLOFF Farms profitable. My hat off to you sir!
Amy rules with a loving but firm hand. I love Amy so much that I am trying to use her common sense in guiding my 18 & 20 year old girls.
I so love the children-all of them. I am a big fan!
Thank you Roloffs for coming back in October. I am looking forward to your show...
yc

August 01 2007 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deeg

when I watch the show I am more interested in how they deal with real life "problems" and not how they keep their house clean, organized and meeting the expectations of "perfect domestics." It's reality...and if it is their reality so be it. I would love to see more families deal with the daily struggles on the television. The days of "ozzie and harriet" are over....face it! And if those of you who organize and clean in perpetuity, please come this way. Hoorays to the Roloffs--be it less than pefect there's no place like "whatever kind of home yhou live in."

August 01 2007 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply