July 31, 2014

Goldberg and Shepherd in talks to join The View

by Adam Finley, posted Jul 27th 2007 9:55AM

whoopi goldbergVariety reports that negotiations to have actress Whoopi Goldberg join The View (she's been a guest host several times) are close to being finalized, though the network has made no official announcement just yet.

ABC is also apparently talking with comedian Sherri Shepherd about the possibility of joining the show. Currently the only three permanent hosts are Barbara Walters, Joy Behar and Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

Goldberg would replace Rosie O'Donnell, of course, who left the show a couple months ago.

I'm not going to pretend I watch The View, because I don't, but it's no question O'Donnell attracted a lot of new attention to the series, either through her constant political battles with conservative Hasselbeck, or with her almost preternatural understanding of physics. I didn't have to be a View viewer to know about these things, the entertainment rags and 24/hour "news" cycle kept me up to date on Rosie's antics. Call her a champion for free speech or a shrill hen with nothing worthwhile to say, but you can't argue with the ratings.

I wonder if the producers are hoping for more of the same when (and if) Whoopi joins the panel as a permanent fixture. Whoopi's never been shy about offering her opinion, either, so I can't help but speculate as to what the show would be like with her, and what I would think of it if I actually cared enough to watch it.

What do you guys think of Whoopi as a new addition to The View?

C wesley

whoopi, I watch today show how your biggest fan was happy to finally meet you, by the way I like that jacket you had on,an just like the man said you bring your own style that in my own words.I already know who will be the Monday new host S.S.that who,but don't forget you make the show an be ever so sweet. I will continue to watch but if you leave God forbid I'll stlop watching. Be the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 07 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C wesley

Whoopi, could you please tell us how an what you use on your skin because begin a grandmother of three your skin lok great, so what kind of product do you use to keep black from cracking.

September 06 2007 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C wesley

Whoopi, great job today an I hope you don't change your value just for the view, so please could you talk to all black women to be proud of their hertiage as well their hair texture because it does seem that most of feel if we keep it straight we are excepted to the world , but i like your style because it's the essence of a real black woman who is not ashame of her hair. keep making us proud an hang in there.

September 06 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I don't care what they believe, I just wish they would stop fighting. Or at least just stop telling us about their fighting. How hard is it to learn from Regis? Elizabeth still won't be helping, either. Let's just hope she doesn't start fights with Whoopi all the time.

July 27 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I like Sherri but ever since she said she didn't believe in Evolution, I've just had a hard time listening to her and taking her seriously. I can be religious and still open to Evolution. Sherri said she only believes in the Bible. Barbara Walters even seemed a tad taken back by her comments at the time too.

Whoopi is an interesting choice and she would be good. She has said she has changed her political beliefs as her life has changed. I think we can all relate to that. He views seemed to be based more on common sense than anything else. That's a nice refreshing change from some of the hosts they have had lately.

Personally I would rather they find more of an unknown or local news person to be the fifth host than another comedian. I actually liked someone's suggestion of Joy taking over Hot Topics. She's been on the show long enough to do that. Barbara gets too flustered when trying to do it. Joy would be good and then you could get the unknown and Sherri to do it.... how about a Hispanic woman to offer another view?

July 27 2007 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Paula Zahn is available.

July 27 2007 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I think Whoopi and Sherri would be great.Get rid of Elizabeth and you got a show...Joy can hold her own with Barbara, Whoopi and Sherri and this can be a better show than it was with Rosie(it was better because of her) It was way boring before Rosie with Starr..I love this scenario....

July 27 2007 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Let me guess ... Whoopi's radio show is tanking?

July 27 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply