October 31, 2014

Comic-Con: The Sarah Silverman Program panel report

by Julia Ward, posted Jul 29th 2007 11:45AM
Sarah Silverman

After sitting through hours of spoilerific, carefully-calibrated marketing presentations, there's nothing quite as bracing as the inspired lunancy of Sarah Silverman and friends. The entire cast of The Sarah Silverman Program gathered at this year's Comic-Con to share clips from their second sesaon and a tape of Steve Agee masturbating, or as the moderator, comedian Zach Galifianakis, put it "alphabetizing his testicles." (He was alphabetizing for comedic purposes, of course.) Needless to say, it was an R-rated evening all around.

You can imagine what happens when you get people like Sarah Silverman, Brian Posehn, Laura Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, Steve Agee, Jay Johnston and Rob Schrab together on a stage. Nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. It is impossible for that many comedians to answer a question straight.

The most inspired moment of the evening came with Galifianakis decided to start wielding his moderator power and judge the questions with scorecards. Given the kinds of questions that get asked at Comic-Con, this is an idea that should really be considered for all panels. People could be shamed out of asking whether or not the panelists would date them although Silverman did promise to f@ck an audience member if she ever broke up with Jimmy Kimmel.

In terms of the show's second season, you can expect Sarah to keep offending in that brash, but oh-so-adorable way of her's. There will be episodes featuring a little D&D, abortion and the "always goes over really well just ask Ted Danson" blackface routine. Oh boy. I hope Comedy Central's already prepared their public statement about that one.

Jim

I'm guessing it's a photo of a Jumbotron.

July 31 2007 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Was this picture taken with an underwater camera?

July 30 2007 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ProgGrrl

JEEZ DAVID - LIGHTEN UP. *nervous*

I love her.

July 30 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

So if cartoon kids say it, it's ground-breaking; if a woman says it, it's "a pile of shit?"

I think Sarah's show is hilarious. I can't wait for the second season.

July 30 2007 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I don't know how a show that's clever, dry, witty, and a mirror to cultural excess can be CC's worst show--those honors go to crass, juvenile, and simpleton shows like Mind of Mencia, that new Custom show and Lil' Bush.

Not that Sarah Silverman's show lacks those elements, but it uses them in a much different manner and they certainly aren't the punchlines to a poorly rehash Aristocrat.

July 29 2007 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I hate her, and her show is a pile of shit. It's one of the worst on CC.

I'd fuck every bone in her body and then throw her in the riv... Did I say that out loud?

July 29 2007 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I would f@ck every bone in her body.

Did I just say that out loud?

July 29 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

It's "Galifianakis". Also, Sarah Silverman has made one of the quickest journeys from vastly underrated to vastly overrated. Although I do like that one routine she has where she curses.

July 29 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply