October 30, 2014

The Two Coreys: Reunited (series premiere)

by Adam Finley, posted Jul 30th 2007 1:02PM

the two coreys(S01E01) It's finally arrived: the reality series absolutely no one was asking for.

I'm not interested in snarking at the likes of Corey Feldman and Corey Haim. They each had success a lot of folks only dream about, and Feldman was involved in some of my favorite movies growing up, most notably Stand By Me and The Goonies. The movies in which they appeared together, such as Lost Boys and License to Drive, were "just okay" by my standards (and, being about twelve years old at the time, my standards didn't mean much).

I didn't watch A&E's The Two Coreys hoping for some disaster of a TV show, or to feed some misplaced animosity towards a couple of once-famous fellas who are no longer in the limelight. I just wanted to see if these two guys could carry a "reality" series and hold my interest.

I put "reality" in quotes, because the series is clearly scripted, and I'm going to assume we're supposed to know that because it's nicer than assuming the people behind the show think we're idiots. The basic plot is lifted from The Odd Couple: Feldman is the clean, non-smoking vegetarian; Haim is the unemployed, skirt-chasing layabout who drives Feldman and his wife, Susie, insane.

The first episode focuses on the Feldman's vegetarianism and interest in animal rights. Haim complains that the meat-free tacos and sandwiches taste like sawdust, and orders a meat-laden pizza when a representative from PETA stops by. If that's not enough, he also hits on her and tries to get her into the jacuzzi.

Try to imagine a show like this taking place in 1988 when the Coreys were young and at the top of their game. Back then, before reality series saturated the TV landscape, I think folks would have loved to see these two living together and getting on each other's nerves. The Two Coreys isn't bad, per se, it's just unnecessary, and about two decades past the point of anyone giving a crap.

Megan

So I watched one episode of 'The Two Coreys' and i thought it wasnt Horrible Celebrity Reality TV Crap, because quite frankly, Corey Haim is a little bonkers but he's entertaining to watch. So I watched a couple more episodes after that, and found the show to be Ulitimately Disappointing. the show was named 'The Two Coreys', so i thought we were gonna see a lot of Feldman and Haim being goofy buddies and doing a lot of crazy stuff to make the show good. So I was utterly Pissed Off when everytime Corey Haim had an effed up but intriguing idea for something the two of them could do, Feldman's wife was like always in the middle somehow. And sure, Haim is a messy slob and she can't have any privacy, But DEAL WITH IT. As a viewer, I don't give two shits what Susie Feldman has to say about Haim's crazy antics, The show is called THE TWO COREYS, why the hell is she even relevant? She's a total Fun-Sucker and for whatever reason, she's in every episode. I don't care if she's banging Feldman and the Director! I don't see her name in the title, Do you?!?

August 27 2007 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justine

I have to say Im very proud of haim hes overcome many obstacles and people need to give more credit where its desereved!
All of us make mistakes and some where definatly not proud of but to admit it is a huge step towards recovery and that haim has done!
I grew up loving the coreys and always will it was a part of my childhood Ill never forget!
But since this show aired I cant believe How much feldman has changed Im very happy hes straightend his life out but a better person out of it hes not!

August 27 2007 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justine

I cant believe the show is gonna end like this!
Im sorry Corey Feldman but your wife has gotten to much of the hollywood style and shes let it go to her head and has become a real snob!
Im married and I would never let my husband direspect my friends granted Corey haim did go a little over board at times but you guys are young and youve been friends for many years and you to let your wife intrude on that friendship its just wrong I DONT BLAME HAIM FOR GETTING ANGRY WITH YOUR WIFE everything he did she was constantly had something to say about it. Shes way to over dramtic!
Feldman I hope your marriage works out for you but i doubt youll have many friends in this marriage not with your ball and chain!
Sorry suzy if I sound cruel but get a grip.

August 26 2007 at 11:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I like the show, personally. Sure, it's not exactly award-winning material, but I was curious to know what happened to Corey Haim, and am hoping things turn out well for him. I find him adorable and entertaining. and i'll keep watching just so i can see more of him. He's come a long way.

August 06 2007 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I remember seeing one or two episodes of the silly reality show that Feldman was on with some other has-beens.

He tried to argue that eating meat is evil...however, he wore leather shoes because they were a gift.

Hypocrite.

August 01 2007 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victor

I only watched a recap of the first episode (it was more like a really long preview for the next episode), and the most surprising thing was that Corey Feldman seems like he's got his life straightened out. The only reason why I lingered on the channel as I was flipping around was the possibility of seeing how horribly this double train wreck has turned out.

But... Corey Feldman impressed me with his normal-ness. Corey Haim was exactly what I was expecting (what I was expecting BOTH of them to be like).

That's the craziest thing about the celebrity reality shows-- that the impression you thought you were going to have is completely changed by seeing these people in everyday life situations.

The one I'd most like to see is some sort of Prince reality show. In my imagination it's like the SNL skit of the Prince Show. But it would probably show him as the most normal, boring suburban guy in the world. We'll find out he loves playing Scrabble every night or something, and that he takes his kids to soccer or dance classes.

July 31 2007 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justelise

I don't know why I did, but I actually watched the two episodes that aired last night and it brought back a lot of memories. Lost Boys was better than you give it credit for, but the rest of the movies they did together were just plain 80s cheese.

It seems like Feldman has learned some humility and is still a working actor (although I don't know what he's been in lately) because he managed to keep his mouth shut when his career started to go down the tubes. Him and his wife are getting work and that's great. I can't help but feel bad for Haim even though I know I shouldn't. Even he knows he burned bridges and pissed off everyone in the industry that might've helped him now. I can't help but to think he may have ADD in addition to a number of addictions he's fighting. He needs a load of therapy.

July 30 2007 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robotgoboom

I have 2 questions.
1. Who is Corey Feldman?
2. Who is Corey Haim?

July 30 2007 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

For some odd reason, I thought one of the Coreys had passed away in the 20th century. However, I'm glad to know they're alive and kicking, albeit still slightly annoying. I'm just shocked that Feldman's still married. Although his gal Friday is a former fan and obviously not averse to the reality TV market (considering they televised their wedding), I just assumed they would have divorced by now.

July 30 2007 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CraigO

Good points Adam, but I think you're forgetting one important thing....GOONIES NEVER SAY DIE!! :)

July 30 2007 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply