October 24, 2014

Some Dead Like Me movie spoilers

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Jul 31st 2007 1:22PM
Dead Like MeDead Like Me is still quite popular amongst the TV Squad readers even if the series ended a few years ago. The hype surrounding the canceled-too-soon Showtime series was revived this spring when it was announced that a made-for-DVD movie was in the works.

Not much has been revealed about this upcoming movie yet. However, we know that Ellen Muth will reprise the role of George and that Mandy Patinkin was written out since he was committed to Criminal Minds at the time the movie started shooting.

Earlier this month, Muth warned fans that the movie would feature a few changes mostly because Patinkin was not reprising his role but also due to a two-year jump between the series finale and the movie.

Spoilers after the jump!

TV Squad was lucky enough to get hold of a few pages of the Dead Like Me movie script. Below are spoilers from said pages as well as what we could gather from around the web. We must warn you that things may appear differently in the movie since tweaks to scripts are often made during shooting and scenes are left on the cutting room's floor during the editing process.

• Daisy will not be played by Laura Harris since the actress is attached to the new series Women's Murder Club. The character will be in the movie.

• Rube was not set to appear in the movie since Patinkin was not available. Now that he left Criminal Minds, it is unknown if they were able to at least have him cameo to give his character a proper send off. However, it is highly unlikely this will happen as shooting was already in progress when he and Minds parted ways. (One of our readers says that the movie wrapped up shooting a few days ago.)

• According to the Dead Like Me Wikipedia page, at least two new characters are introduced: Calvin Kane, a new head reaper, and Hudson Hart, Reggie's secret boyfriend. Calvin is described as a "slick businessman who couldn't care less about helping the newly dead"; Hudson is someone whose soul George is supposed to reap. Because of Hudson, George and Reggie re-connect for the first time since George's death. Daisy is attracted to Calvin; Calvin, in turn, helps Daisy land an understudy role in a production of After the Fall. Daisy deliberately injures the play's lead actress, taking over her role, though the subsequent stress leads her to drinking heavily, even during performances.
  • Calvin throws a party at his luscious penthouse. The city's elite along with Roxy, Daisy, Mason and George are invited. As always Daisy tries to have George be and look like someone she is not. George is pissed off because Calvin mess up on a reap time he gave her. Daisy is ecstatic at the idea of being the understudy for the lead in After the Fall. Of course (and as said in spoilers above), she will not leave it to just being an understudy; she wants to be under the spotlight. When things go awry in Daisy's career, Calvin starts dating a richer woman who he says as less attitude than Daisy. At the party, Mason is drunk and chatting with two hot blonde women both named Tiffany. Later in the movie, Roxy is at a bus crash site and discovers that the reap she saved is now dead.

Patrick

WTF is DLM without Rube or Laura as Daisy? It would be like a whole different show! Like DLM v2.0, only like most software, it sucks.

November 21 2007 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Perrine Rozee

I have both seasons on DVD and love it, I hope the movie is half as good and I wish they would get the show on again.

October 07 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

Adam Nicely, the kid's name is Charley. And, not only did he reap Eddie Rabbit at the vet office, and Frodo the Kimodo dragon, but, don't forget, he also reaped J.D... I *do* have to agree with you on the point of bringing the show back, ala Futurama and Family Guy. I think it would be a travesty not to, as it is funnier, and better written than either of the other shows.

September 16 2007 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roberta

We must've been hiding in a cave for years, cuz I've never heard of this show up until recently. My bf and I watched both seasons in two or three days. It's great and we were going to get Showtime until I just read that the show was canceled. Boo!!!

August 16 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Nicely

I watched the First Episode of The First Season and became hooked instantly, I love the narative aspect of it and I really like the quirky humor it has. I agree, it would be funny if Mrs. Herbig became a reaper....Who would she replace? Maybe she would replace Daisy who is being played by some new chick? Also, I am hoping we find out more information on the Animal Reaper Kid....Skater Kid or watever...I had to give him a name. He only was around when Frodo the Dragon Lizard died and when Murray was rushed to the Vets office. If they did start a new series I will deffinately be tuning in. I mean if Family Guy, and Futurama can do, why not Dead Like Me. Change is a good thing, it is for the better. Plus, it mixes up things...We will just have to wait... Thoughts?

August 07 2007 at 3:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Haggis

I'm a big fan of the show, and have been since it originally aired years ago. I've sold several of my friends on the show since then, so a lot of people are excited about the movie + rumors from Ellen herself about the show possibly be resurrected (hehe.. I love puns).

Not that it will ever happen, wouldn't it be AMAZING if Delores became a Reaper? It would almost switch her and George's roles as boss-underling, because George would have to teach her about reaping. Just a thought for discussion.. :D

August 02 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

This show was and is still one of the finest shows ever canceled! I can't wait! I wonder if George still works at Happy Time? I hope so all the characters that worked at Happy Time IMO were a big part of the show as well.

Delores Herbig (Christine Willes) was just great in the show and we still have so much to learn about the mysterious Crystal Smith (Crystal Dahl)

August 01 2007 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I agree Isabelle, they will need someone in there every week to take the souls or devils, whatever they are and she would be perfect! Not a hard role and she can do other shows between the short appearences on Reaper, which is a much better show than I thought it would be. No DLM, but still fun.

July 31 2007 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

David: I watched the "Reaper" pilot too and Christine Willes does rock in that role even if she's only 30 seconds on screen. I hope she becomes a recurring.

July 31 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Delores Herbig is in the movie last I have heard. The actress also plays in the new show Reaper which is about a 21 year old force to work for the Devil. She only in it 30 seconds but still wonderful. :)

July 31 2007 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply