October 25, 2014

Star Jones admits to gastric bypass surgery (duh!)

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 31st 2007 12:28PM
star jonesStar Jones has finally admitted that she lost a bunch of weight thanks to gastric bypass surgery that she had in 2003. There's a shocker. The former co-host of The View admits to the surgery in an article she wrote for the upcoming September issue of Glamour magazine.

Jones lost 160 pounds over three years. She says she didn't announce she had gastric bypass surgery because she felt ashamed that she couldn't lose the weight on her own. I can understand that, but she went as far as to lie about it and give people false hope that they, too, could control their problem with over-eating. I'm surprised she's not writing a book about it to make money off her weight loss. Does anybody else think she's just a bad person?

So, there. The world's biggest mystery is solved.

CJ

Starr Jones is a human being like the rest of you critics. Wow, someone lied on TV, shocker! If you have NEVER lied in public, to a friend, to a family member, then you are justified. But in today's society, people have sex with anyone walking down the street, if they had enough alcoholic drinks in them the hour before. Get off your soap boxes. She can lie if she wants to. It's HER higher power that she will need to answer too, no YOU ... John Q. Public!!! I hope she stays healthy and I hope you don't come down with a sexually transmitted disease. Who are you to judge another without looking in the mirror first? I make mistakes, I'm not perfect. I'm okay with it.

August 25 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Teullive

Wow!! Star is f****** hhhhot!.

Did I ever mention that I'm blind?

Will Teullive

July 31 2007 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deven Werthman

She is a very creepy person...another one who, for no reason, believes she's not a regular person but must be a "celebrity," therefore, entitled to lie to the world. In this case, the truth would have worked better.

July 31 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

There should be no positive feedback for her lying. GBS is a very serious surgery. 6 people I know have had this surgery. 1 died, 1 had severe complications, 1 is now anemic as a result and needs blood transfusions every few months. For her to go on national television and lie to everyone that she did this with diet and exercise is inexcusable. Yes there was and still is a stigma attached to having the surgery but it would have been a lot easier to have dealt with that rather than lying to an entire nation even when confronted by people who knew she did. You can do it just like me she said on tv and in her book. Good luck on Court TV we all know how many people will be watching you there.

July 31 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tari Akpodiete

160 lbs in 3 years WITHOUT surgery? That VERY
doable. If you check the math, it's about a pound a week. Overweight people always say "diets don't work". Well, actually, yes they do.

Thing is, they don't work overnight. If they didn't work, then gastric bypass aka 'stomach stapling' wouldn't work. They are the ultimate 'stop shoveling too much crap in your mouth' diet.

All that happens is your stomach gets smaller, but if you still have the bad habits/attitide that make you wanna inhale the contents of your fridge, you have to modify those too. The consequences of not doing so when you have such surgery is that you might burst your new small stomach and kill yourself.

Everyone is alway looking for the quick fix and wanting to evade responsibility. Go to the doctor, get a complete physical, then start and stick to a sensible eating plan (as opposed to a fad diet) including WAY SMALLER portions, get your gigantic hinny off the couch and start to exercise. It's going to be hard at first, and it helps to have someone to do it with so you can encourage one another.

And remember, it takes time, like 2 to 3 years.

July 31 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Add me in to the "lying two faced etc" camp. What made it right for her to say she was doing it all "with self control and perseverance" when she was lying to the world?

Be a grown up, admit you made a choice, and risky as it was, she's healthier and has a longer life because of it. I would have given her plenty of credit for being adult about it and saying "I couldn't do it, I needed help" vs "Hey I did it all myself.. aren't you super impressed?"

July 31 2007 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I'm shocked--shocked--that she has had plastic surgery.

Lying bitch.

July 31 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

What's her deal? What? Does she have a show coming out? A new book? Two days into the week, and two 'Star Jones' stories.

Whatever.

July 31 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I think she should have been honest from the get go. More people would have rallied around her instead of whispering behind her back. It made her appear too full of herself. I don't think anyone felt they were given false hope that like she, they could lose their weight the old fashioned way. I think every went "No gastric bypass? Yeah right!".

There is a 2-4% chance of complications(death) and I wouldn't talk anyone into it unless they really were in terrible need of it, and at that the docs want them to lose weighton their own before then anyway. It's not a quick fix and it won't stop people from overeating if they don't fix the reason why they are overeating in the first place.

I have a friend who hit nearly 400 pounds (she's around 5 foot tall.), only through walking, eating right and more moderate exercise, she is down to 200 pounds and I couldn't be prouder. It took her a long time, and that's the way it should be to keep it off. I've been slowly losing weight myself and it's taken a few years. I'm in the homestretch towards my goal. I'm fitter than I was in highschool!

July 31 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

If all I say was recorded I would end up "lying" all the time because sometimes you just say stuff to get away from somebody who just can't stop asking questions you just don't want to answer.

Gastric Bypass Surgery can result in complications leading to the death of the patient. It's dangerous and I think giving people (admittedly) false hope that they can lose weight on their own without radical surgery is better than maybe making people get the surgery and ending up dead with the result being the families accusing you of behaving as if this surgery is not a big deal.

Besides, other celebrities get drunk and drive. What's really worse here?

July 31 2007 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply