October 25, 2014

The Closer: Four to Eight

by Anna Johns, posted Jul 31st 2007 12:41PM
the closer(S03E07) Those evil, evil writers over at The Closer kept us hanging on for one more week about what on earth is wrong with Brenda. While it was frustrating that we didn't get an answer, it was also very well done. I thought the fact that Brenda went to see her doctor but didn't ask any questions about what could be wrong was very within her quirky character. She didn't want to know all the possibilities... just the facts. Now I'm strongly suspecting she's at the beginning of menopause. I just don't think her symptoms are of pregnancy.

I think Brenda's storyline kept me from guessing the twist in the case she was investigating. It seemed obvious once the story ended, but I was too concerned for Brenda to pay much attention to who dunnit.

This week, we had an apparent gang shooting. Everyone assumed it was a gang shooting because two gangs--the Catorces and the 1-5s--were in a war that was escalating. Even through her sickness (or whatever), Brenda was able to see what no one else could see: the shootings didn't have typical gang signatures.

While there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to say about this storyline, I did like how two of the characters were so ironic. Miguel, the cousin of one of the victims, was lucky enough that he wasn't in a gang and he had talent as a baseball player. Yet, he really wanted to be in a gang like his cousin.

And Miguel's father worked hard to keep Miguel out of a gang, but then he goes and behaves just like a gang member by killing his nephew and a friend because they are in a gang. Loved the irony... which is something The Closer always does very well.

Hopefully next week we'll find out what ails Brenda. It appears that she'll also be investigating a serial killer, so I could see this whole thing being dragged out another week or at least until the end of the next episode.

NancyB

I'd bet she has hyperthyroidism . . . I'm 42, and if
that menopause, I'm jumping off a tall building ASAP. Nancy B.

August 02 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Her doctor did an exam, took blood and ran tests. It doesn't take follow up visits and more tests to diagnose menopause. The doc would have already run the hormone levels and checked that out given Brenda's symptoms. I'm guessing it something else.

July 31 2007 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippersgirl

Peri- menopause for sure. I was sweating right along with her!

July 31 2007 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I do not remember Capra from "A Bronx Tale" but as soon as I saw him I wondered if Veronica Mars was going to show up.

July 31 2007 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Anyone notice that Miguel was played by the little kid from "A Bronx Tale"?

He has not aged well.

July 31 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

It sounds like peri-menopause. It can start in the mid to late 30s and run right up until menopause actually starts. It explains the sweating (hot flashes), fatigue, and irritability. I am not sure why she would try to give up chocolate as tied to her symptoms unless caffeine magnifies them.

I thought it was interesting that they cast Merkerson (sp?) who plays a Lieutenant be her doctor.

July 31 2007 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Menopause. I thought that was obvious after the last scene with Brenda and Fritz.

Hmm, nary a mention of the Law & Order shout-out this episode...S. Epatha Merkerson as the Gynecologist.

July 31 2007 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKILA

I think it is diabetes becouse i read somewhere that later in the season brenda tries to give up chocolate

July 31 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hubris

It's definitely not pregnancy; doctors don't call you in and sit you down to talk about being pregnant; they'll tell you that. Besides, her symptoms are far beyond pregnancy. I, too, think it's menopause, even though Brenda seems young for it. Hope she and Fitz didn't want kids.

July 31 2007 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply