October 21, 2014

Angel co-creator David Greenwalt leaves Moonlight

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 1st 2007 3:43PM

Can Moonlight survive all of the cast and producer changes?I'm getting a bit concerned about the new CBS drama Moonlight. You know, the one about a vampire private-eye who works the streets of Los Angeles? No, I'm not confusing this show with Angel! See, that was a show about a vampire who was a private-eye working the dark streets of Los Angeles. Two totally different shows here!

I'm getting worried because of all of the changes going on for a show that hasn't even aired its first episode yet. I know that small changes can occur between the time that a show is picked up until its series premiere. But, when the changes include recasting everyone except the main character I foresee problems. And, when the person who decided to recast the show leaves after only a few short weeks I can see the words 'mid-season replacement' written all over the program.

The man doing all of the recasting was David Greenwalt, co-creator of that other vampire private-eye series Angel. Greenwalt was brought on as executive producer and showrunner for Moonlight three months ago. During that time he ditched most of the original pilot presentation and gave several prominent roles to some new actors. Late last week it was reported that Greenwalt was leaving the show due to personal reasons, which could mean actual personal reasons or a conflict of interest with other behind-the-scenes talent on the show.

Apparently, Greenwalt's departure is not affecting production of Moonlight, Original pilot writers Ron Koslow and Trevor Munson remain on the show as executive producers and principal filming of the program began two weeks ago. According to reports a new showrunner will be named in the next few days.

Dove

Moonlight is a nifty show with a "softie" vampire character. I really enjoy Mick St.John and his difficulties. However, the writers need to bone up on real vampires. Sanguinarius.org is where you start. Also "Smoke and Mirrors" on Yuku.

You've already started the series being more realistic about vampires. You had "blinking" in one episoode. Another featured the hero vampire being sun sick. Very good plots.

Ditch the fangs. None of us have them. None of us drink corpse blood either. Get your facts straight and you've got a great little show!

November 23 2007 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I think there is only so far you can go with vampires set in the modern world. The cop/private investigator job is one that allows for murder mysteries and intrigue, so that sets up a good outlet for a vampire character. I'm just glad there are two new vampire shows on two major networks (Blood Ties/Lifetime, Moonlight/CBS) in 2007. Mick is HOT, and so is Henry from Blood Ties. I only regret that Moonlight doesn't have enough historical flashbacks like the other shows. Mick being made a vamp in the 50's (?) is not good enough! I guess its too much for a mainstream audience to wrap their heads around for the show to have medieval scene flashbacks or what have you. No one would "get it" because the general television viewing public are so unimaginative. Hence all the boring cop, doctor, and lawyer shows that have dominated all major networks forever. Throw a vampire with a history into a show like that, and it gets much more interesting, not to mention more romantic. I hope CBS decides to keep it on. Mainstream America needs more fantasy in their lives.

November 09 2007 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle Starr

As I like horrorfantasyromance shows I am in heaven with the currect program line ups. I think the biggest problem with doing a new show with an old idea is that people won't allow the new program a chance to stand on it's own, and will continually compare the new with the old. Only the basic premise is the same, Vampire, LA, trying to be a Good Guy. Angel had a more tongue in cheek, laugh at themselves feeling to it, as well as an almost guaranteed audience of Buffy fans. Moonlight is more contemporary, as Nick is only a hundred or so years old. Angel had a lot more history that allowed for costume drama. Give the new show a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. For other Vamp/romance fans, check out Blood Ties on lifetime.

October 19 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Varney_2

I apologize for missing Anita's post.
She said exactly what I attempted.

To add, I would like to see the original pilot.

Not that I dislike Shannyn Sossomon (she's cute), but I think that Amber Valleta would have brought more class, and is at once older and more beautiful. The latter is a given requirement for female sires, but the former helps lend some gravity. (OK, so i'm a fan.)

But if Sossamon cannot do as well as the actress who played Jeanette, were doomed.

September 29 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Varney_2

Bear in mind folks that "Angel" owed its own life to "Forever Knight",

as did "Highlander, the Series", "The Immortal", and several other tales of flashback informed narratives about centuries-old conflicted souls.

So don't bash this series for attempting to occupy a proven, currently empty niche...

bash it for bad acting, bad casting (now we know whose fault that is), and for bringing [i]nothing[/i] new to the format.

September 29 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shrike

When I read the synopsis for Moonlight, I instantly went "Forever Knight knockoff".

On the other hand, tv producers these days seem to have a knack for reinventing old ideas (BSG, Bionic Woman etc), so this might turn out to be something good after all.

August 02 2007 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

All we need is another vampire show. I really liked Close to Home. Too bad it was canceled in favor of a yet another Vampire flick.

August 01 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

While this is clearly a knock-off of Angel, Angel was clearly a knock-off of Forever Knight complete with flashbacks and remorseful vampire-with-a-soul rhetoric. Hell, the original Buffy triad of The Master-Darla-Angel resemble FK's Lacoix-Jeanette-Knight. Anyhoo, excluding the final season, I wasn't crazy about Angel. I felt Buffy remained darker (despite Angel's boasts), possessed stronger writing and had better actors. However, I have high expectations for Moonlight; I believe it will actualize what I thought Angel would but didn't. Unfortunately, I suspect comparisons against its most recent forerunner will kill it, even though CBS is the same station that brought us FK and, by default, Angel.

August 01 2007 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Lost the back half of my comment, sufficely to say, while Moonlight no doubt was inspired by Angel in its basic premise, I have no doubt that it will be a pale shadow of Angel in its actual execution. With that as a given, I will watch the pilot and give it a chance, but I won't get my hopes too far up.

August 01 2007 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Richard Keller and Usama, you do realize that calling Angel a "vampire, private eye series" would be like calling Firefly a western in space or Buffy a teen horror-comedy. Nothing Joss Whedon touches gets away with being that simple, and I think that is why most of us watch his shows. While I have no doubt that this show took its

August 01 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply