September 18, 2014

Will Drew Carey swear on The Price is Right?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 1st 2007 2:59PM

Drew CareyThat headline isn't my opinion, it's something another TV critic is worried about.

Derrik Lang at SanLuisObispo.com points out that the very first word that Drew Carey uttered while taping the very first episode of his new CBS game show Power of Ten was "F**K. And then later in the show he made an a joke about a certain part of his anatomy (he later apologized for what he said, since there were kids in the audience). Lang now wonders if Carey could be the wrong choice for The Price is Right, since he works blue and seems more like a late-night host than a game show host and doesn't really get the TPiR fan base.

Oh come on, the guy works blue, but he doesn't have Tourette's. I'm sure he'll be fine (and that he'll be fine in Power of Ten - the shows are taped after all and have editing). No one can predict if Carey will like his new gig and how long he'll stay, but I guarantee he won't leave because of crazy swearing and dick jokes.

[via TV Tattle]

Mike Davis

"Made a swear." MacGuffin, that's a riot.

Yeah, let's be realistic. It's a DAYTIME NETWORK GAMESHOW. Which of these three elements lend themselves to making filthy jokes?

Well, for me, all three but seriously, Drew knows the room he's playing.

I'm reminded of when Michael Keaton became Batman. He was told he was doomed and such. He said he was hired to fill the suit. It was the suit's gig.

It's TPIR. At day's end, it's an American gameshow legend. Drew will do fine.

August 02 2007 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

They made the wrong choice by picking Drew Carey, and I'll say that until the day his ass is kicked off the lot at CBS Television City.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid choice.

P.S.
I'm also so sick of hearing "At least they didn't pick Rosie." I wish people would understand that she was never seriously considered for the hosting job. That was all just media hype and Rosie's own mouth. I HIGHLY doubt the people who run TPIR ever had her on the list. I will also add that "Anybody But Rosie" doesn't mean that anybody (in this case Drew Carey) is the perfect or even the right choice for hosting TPIR.

August 02 2007 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Since when is TPiR a live show? He really emphasized that during negotiations he wasn't aware of the schedule and that it was so totally different from what he expected. They can film a weeks work in just one day or so it was reported more than once before Bob left the show.

That way they can meet and film a months worth of shows in just a week. They will get rid of everything that doesn't fit the timeslot in post.

August 01 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

How much of a prude do you have to be to question someone because--oh my gosh--they made a swear???

This is why this country is so FUCKED.

Oops.

August 01 2007 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Napier

As Americans we need to lighten up when it comes to vulgarity and swearing on tv. Most comics do it for the shock value. I am sure he can adapt his routine to the audience and will do a fabulous job.

August 01 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Carey works quite blue on stage though. He's a superb stand up but unfortunately network TV has covered that up (much like it did with Bob Saget).

August 01 2007 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Maybe he can take over The Tonight SHow then. :)

August 01 2007 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

He has to be aware of who watches the show, and what they expect of him. He's not an idiot. I imagine it's also somewhere in his contract what he can and cannot say.

August 01 2007 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhizGidget

Hopefully they'll never let Drew do the show live. I saw him years ago doing stand up and he was very very blue. And I don't know that he could properly self censor if he were live.

Heck, almost the whole set revolved around masturbation and was basically pronouns, conjunctions and profanity.

August 01 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

On Craig Ferguson's show this week, Drew unleashed a string of expletives that took a couple of seconds to bleep out. I can't say for sure, but I think it had something to do with performing sexual acts with the cast of "Bratz."

August 01 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply