April 24, 2014

Alton Brown feasts on more asphalt starting this weekend

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 2nd 2007 10:21AM

Alton Brown travels the back roads once again in a new Feasting on Asphalt seriesFood uber-nerd Alton Brown is heading back on the road starting this weekend in a new series of Feasting on Asphalt adventures. However, instead of traversing the back-roads of America like he did in last year's series, Alton will be going up the river.

The Mississippi River, to be precise. In Feasting on Asphalt 2: The River Run, premiering August 4th at 9:00 pm on The Food Network, the host of Good Eats and his cast of not many journey the length of Mightily Mississip in search of honest to goodness road food. They begin their adventure at the mouth of the Gulf of Mexico, stopping along the way to dine on crawfish, alligator, fried chicken, chicken livers, tamales, donuts and authentic home-cooked favorites.

In addition, Alton and his gang make a few side trips on their way to Minnesota and the head waters of the Mississippi. For instance, there's a stop at the first bottling plant of Coca-Cola, a museum where they learn the history of Piggly Wiggly, and a barge trip where Alton learns about life on the river. Unlike the last series of Feasting on Asphalt no one is injured this time around. Not even when Brown stops to get a tattoo.

For more information on the new Asphalt series you can go to Alton's own website. Here you'll find synopsis on where Brown stopped on his way up the river as well as snapshots from the latest trip.

mgonzales

Just finished watching "Feasting on Asphalt" and also
re-watching whatever of the shows is on. Absolutely loved the show - - don't know why, but it made me kind of nostalgic. Guess it brought back the many times I went across the country. Please do another one. !!

September 16 2007 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keri

I haven't seen any yet but I do like Alton, especially since I shop where he shops (though I haven't yet seen him darn it)...I do hope though that he makes this more interesting than the other travel food shows like Rachael Ray's (who I still like) and Gianna, Anthony, and that other guy who does the weird food. Hopefully we'll be able to actually learn a little something about the town as well as the food itself in only the way Alton can do it. Looking forward to seeing them whenever I catch it on Food Network!!

August 06 2007 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginny J

I am also glad for more road shows from Alton. I do doubt that he went over the I 35 bridge in Minnesota. That is the whole point of the Feasting on Asphalt show is to avoid the Interstate and all the chain restaurants and travel the back roads and find the small owner operated food joints.

August 06 2007 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

For sure they will edit the episode and will say somethine at the end./ He most likely crossed the river on that bridge.

August 02 2007 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I'm so glad he's back with a new set of shows! And we get 6 new ones this time!!

August 02 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I am so glad FN allowed Alton to make more of these. The first set were a real treat.

Doubt they will edit the Minnesota episode but I wonder if there will be any mention of the recent tragedy.

August 02 2007 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply