July 31, 2014

Chip Johannessen replaces Greenwalt on Moonlight

by Varun Lella, posted Aug 2nd 2007 9:05PM
Moonlight CBSIt seems like there is plenty of drama on CBS's new vampire detective show Moonlight, and it hasn't even debuted. Just months after Angel co-creator David Greenwalt was hired to executive produce the show he left. The head honchos at CBS have tapped Dark Angel's Chip Johannessen to take the reigns from Greenwalt according to The Hollywood Reporter.

In addition to the Executive Producer difficulties, the cast of Moonlight has had more changes than Kelly Osbourne's hair color, including dropping Shannon Lucio earlier in the spring.

No offense to Johannessen, but it doesn't look like this show is going to last more than a season. I loved Dark Angel -- don't make fun of me, please -- and I think that Moonlight will benefit a lot from a little touch of Dark Angel magic. However, all the casting changes and Greenwalt's early departure may mean that certain people do not have much confidence in the show.

On the other hand, it could just mean that "they" -- whoever that includes by this point -- are fine-tuning the show and getting rid of the dead weight. Even if CBS is able to find the perfect cast, producers and director, it is going to be hard to get the key young adult demo to tune in to a vampire show on a Friday night.

Chelle

Didn't they add Sally Field to Brothers & Sisters just before the season started, it turned out ok.

August 29 2007 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

I can't remember a single instance when changing show-runners before or during the first season of a series was ever a good sign. Correct me if I'm wrong.

August 03 2007 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

um, so I don't know what I like? Yes . . . your monkey logic makes perfect sense :) I frequently log on to insult the commenters rather than comment on the articles . . .

August 03 2007 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Oh, please? You like Dark Angel better than Angel! Somehow that makes David Greenwalt's departure an "upgrade"? You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

August 02 2007 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I'm feeling better already. I loved DA more than A. Plus, I wasn't all that crazy about SL on the OC. While I barely remember SM from Mansfield Park, her acting CV still looks better than bad girl #7. Don't consider them changes, call them 'upgrades,' even if the weekend timeslot, bad press & other vamp juxtapositions kill it b4 ep 1.

August 02 2007 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply