July 23, 2014

Firefighter wins American Inventor

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Aug 2nd 2007 3:00PM
American InventorLast night, this summer's winner of ABC's American Inventor was crowned. Firefighter Greg Chavez's invention, Guardian Angel, was voted by Americans as the best invention out of the Top 3 selected by the judges.

When Chavez presented his idea to the judges during the auditions, he hadn't won them all over (Pat Croce voted no) because he didn't have a working model; actually, his brilliant idea was only put on paper. But thanks to his passion and the fact that his idea could save lives if it worked, he got enough votes to not only become a San Francisco finalist but to end up in the Top 6.

Being in the Top 6 awarded him $50,000 and the chance to work with development and marketing teams. All teams in the Top 6 had four weeks to refine their invention. Once the deadline was reached, they had to make a final pitch, using their improved product, to the four judges: George Foreman, Pat Croce, Peter Jones and Sara Blakely.

Greg Chavez's presentation was impressive. His Guardian Angel Christmas tree fire suppression system was not only working (he had footage to prove it) but it was appealing to the eye (a nice angel to put on top of the tree and the system hidden in a fake Christmas gift). Thanks to his passion and dedication as well as a working product that could save lives, the judges selected him to move on to the Top 3.

The Top 3 consisted of Chavez and his Guardian Angel invention, Oklahoma school-teacher Ricky DeRennaux and his Custom Build Racers, and Tennessee realtor Elaine Cato and her 6-in-1 convertible brassiere. All three contestants secured deals with various companies in order to try to get their product on the market. So even if DeRennaux and Cato, who finished second, didn't win the million-dollar prize, they have the chance to see their product make it to the shelves.

If you've missed the finale (or the series' second season) or just want to learn more about the inventions seen throughout the show, visit ABC's American Inventor website.

Galley

The best part of the show was the return of The Black Cougar! Someone needs to give that dude his own TV show.

August 03 2007 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Chavez

Greg is my big brother and we are all so happy for his accomplishment! Thanks to everyone who supported him. If you missed the episode, you can check out the key segments right here: http://northstarthinktank.typepad.com/northstar_thinktank/2007/08/our-brother-gre.html

August 03 2007 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeff Chavez's comment
jack.ambrose

Greg I been trying to track you down because you stole my idea from me that I came up with because of my sister-in-laws fire when I was 17 years old. I think it is about time you come clean.

October 27 2013 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corrector

It's just TV.. get over it. If your day was ruined because you found out who won a show ahead of watching it, you've got bigger problems on your plate.

August 02 2007 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I have to agree with the other a more generic title would have been much better. It can be hard to avoid an outcome as it it but when it is the title on an RSS feed that makes it close to impossible to avoid.

August 02 2007 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

You guys could have just titled it "American Inventor Finale Results" and that's it...I don't think it's a big deal nor do I really watch the show, but still.

August 02 2007 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug Nelson

Gee thanks, I had it recorded and hadn't watched it yet. Now I don't need to since you broadcast the ending to my RSS reader.

August 02 2007 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Not only did TVGuide announce the name of the winner in their article's title, but ABC did too in the title of the press release they sent (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?date=08/02/07&id=20070802abc01).

When I miss a reality finale, I try to avoid TV news website until I watch it.

Sorry we (and TV Guide, and ABC, and....) spoiled it for you but it is not like it is a big surprise who won.

August 02 2007 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Arc|Angel, wasn't the show on last night? How exactly did they spoil it?

Even in the age of DVRs once it hits the airwaves, it it fair game to talk about it in the world. IMO, it is the viewers responsibility to avoid being spoiled.

August 02 2007 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Hey while you're at it, go tell the TV Guide people they're idiots too: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Tv-Guide-News/Christmas-Tree-Guard/800019751

August 02 2007 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arc|Angel

Thanks for spoiling another reality show finale guys. Idiots.

August 02 2007 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply