August 30, 2014

ReBoot gets a reboot

by Varun Lella, posted Aug 2nd 2007 12:01PM
ReBootNo, this is not an episode of Retro Squad. The kids TV show ReBoot is coming back to awe a new generation of tweens in the form of three feature-length animated films. For those of you not in-the-know, ReBoot was one of the very first commercial computer-generated projects. This way before Toy Story or Shrek or the slew of cheesy 3-D animated children shows on the tube today.

ReBoot follows the story of Bob, Dot and Enzo, anthropomorphic computer programs that protect the system from viruses. Every episode The User, i.e. a kid, allowed Bob, the mainframe guardian, to do awesome video game battle with the Megabyte and other evil viruses. Clearly, the dream show for any PS3-loving middle schooler (back then it was a PS1).

Yahoo! News reports that MainFrame Entertainment, the production company behind the show, is teaming up with Zeroes2Heroes, a digital publishing website, to let fans help develop the return of ReBoot. Although there is no word yet on whether the movies will be released on TV, DVD or in theaters. It is very rare for a canceled show to get a second chance, the most famous example is FOX bringing back the cult hit Family Guy after years of reruns on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

[via TheTVShowBlog]

adhonus

I think it will become more common for these kinds of returns to occur. Family Guy. Futurama. Heck, even Jericho!

August 02 2007 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

This was a great show. Remember the X-Files episode? Sadly... ahead of its time. And, given the quality of CGI animation today... somewhat primitive.

August 02 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

If they bring Megabyte back they can easily recast him by saying its an upgrade to his viral nature.

However, everything I have read about this so far is that it is going to be a re-imagining (a "reboot" if you will, bad pun I know) of the series and not a continuation.

August 02 2007 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HavePh8

I was a huge ReBoot fan, even had a website at the time. I was excited when I heard this news but after I read the 5 stories being pitched on that zeroes2heroes website I was pretty damn disgusted. Awful, awful stories! Dot married to Megabyte with a kid? What the hell!

August 02 2007 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaptainAmericaHatesHippies

Great news! I used to watch that show with my kids and it was one of the rare kids shows I could actually enjoy. It's nice to see something deserving of a resurrection actually get the chance to live again. I'm anxious to see the improvements in both the quality of the graphics and motion of the characters now that a decade has passed.

One worry, though. Will Megabyte be back and who will voice him now that the irreplaceable Tony Jay has passed?

August 02 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

This is actually the second return for ReBoot. Season 4 was aired in 2001, several years after the show was canned by ABC/YTV (season 3 only aired on YTV at first, before being picked up by Cartoon Network).

August 02 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Yes! ReBoot was so cutting edge for its time. I was so pissed when they cancelled it. Sure, it's returning 10 years l8r, but beter late than never.

August 02 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply