September 30, 2014

Rescue Me: Seven

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Aug 2nd 2007 7:44AM

John Scurti

(S04E07) "Balls to the wall gentlemen." - Needles

Wow... that was some cold open, huh? Arguably the best the show has had yet. Barely any spoken words and set to some eerie song by who I think was The Twilight Singers. Babies being thrown out windows, bodies piled up on the sidewalk, and seven children who didn't make it. Even Lou said it was one of the worst infernos he'd ever seen. The entire sequence was just very powerful. I even got a little choked up. So does someone want to explain to me how an episode that started off so good ended so flat?

Don't get me wrong, I still loved it. That goes without saying. But I've gone from enjoying the beginning of this season immensely to riding the bandwagon with everyone else. These episodes just haven't been what we're used to.

As with any episode, there were some stellar moments. Lou breaking up with Theresa ("I ate all the edible panties.") and then making amends with Cousin Mike. Sean telling Mike the truth about the fire. Troy ripping down the "Tommy shrine." Franco seeing Keela and Alicia. All good stuff but it just doesn't make the whole episode. I suppose it's better than seeing Janet over and over again. I'm getting sick of her now. Plus she keeps giving the kid Benadryl, Jameson's, and who knows what else. He's going to be sleeping permanently if she keeps it up.

Fortunately, even though it's slow coming, there's plenty to look forward to... I think. Speaking of Franco, it seems like he's having doubts now about Natalie. She just seems too invested in her brother Richie and I think Franco honestly might see a future with Alicia and his daughter. So who will he choose?

I'm glad we finally found out where Maggie is (drunk in Montreal), but more so because it brought Cousin Mickey back into the fold. He's got some plan for Maggie and Uncle Teddy to combat their alcoholism. I can only imagine what he's got in store.

You can tell not much happened because usually I have ridiculously long paragraphs with endless run-on sentences in my reviews of Rescue Me. The thoughts are a little sparse this time around although I suppose that final scene definitely warrants some discussion. Johnny's ghost finally made his second appearance to Tommy, and this time he had something to say. Kill the baby because he's doomed to a lousy life no matter how you slice it. The scary thing is that I think Tommy actually considered his dead brother's request, especially after his talk with Mick about God's plan. Ending the baby's life now could save him from something far worse later on. Whether he believed it or not, Tommy still held that kid over the East River. My personal belief is that he didn't drop the kid (give him a name already), but it did cut to black and this time it was a bit more ambiguous than when Jerry shot himself. I mean... we didn't hear a splash or anything like that.

I keep saying that I have faith in Leary, hoping that something huge will develop. Well... we've got six episodes left for that to happen. At least we got to see a new promo for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

What do you think Tommy did with the baby?
Listened to Johnny and dropped him in the river31 (8.0%)
Changed his mind and gave him to Sheila261 (67.3%)
Brought him home to Janet96 (24.7%)

dave

I thought it was an awesome ending...I love this show its so unpredictable...thats what we want isn't it! Remember its just a show..its not real...for those saying they won't watch it anymore..I loved that cliff hanger..although it would have drove me nuts if it was the season finale! ha! Spoilers say he doesn't do it...i love the story line...its all so f**d up!

October 10 2007 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tdyed63

If fiction is more effed up than truth and he did drop the baby I am outta' here too.

August 08 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarakanne

www.rescuemetv.com

provides all details of music selections used on the show.

August 06 2007 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jabes54

Even if Tommy does give the baby to Sheila -- what will it solve Gavin-family-wise? Janet and Katie are a total mess and I don't know how anything Tommy does -- good (keep the baby) or stupid (give the baby to Sheila) or frightening (drop the baby in the river) -- can fix his unbelievably effed-up home life. Yikes.

Also, can we please ban all music questions in this forum? Last year, someone posted a site where you can get a recap of all the music from a given episode, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't save it to pass along to people who ask annoying music questions. Yikes again.

August 06 2007 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarakanne

Only 6 more episodes? Then what? Wait until next July? I have just recently started watching this excellent show--please tell me it's only going on a short hiatus.

August 05 2007 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gregg

What was the name of the song playing at the end of the episode "seven"?

August 05 2007 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

The writing on this show has been falling apart for a while. I personally think they blew their wad early when they killed off Conner. Now they have to top that in every finale, they should've waited until the end of this season to do that. But it was still at least believable then. Last season started off great but got lamer and lamer as it progressed. I thought the gay probie plotline was annoying and pointless. Then they killed off Johnny which was the first time I thought the show was getting to be unbelievable. Then the whole "Sheila's crazy" storyline culminated in the fire. That was the stupidest cliffhanger ever but then it got even dumber in this seasons opening episode. If you get dragged out of a fire unconscious with a hard on you get taken to a place called the hospital. They do blodwork to figure out why you're unconscious. They would have known Tommy was drugged, especially since he had a raging hard on. That little plot hole (by little I mean gaping) makes this seasons premise completely absurd. I wanted the season opener to be over 30 seconds into it. Now in this latest episode we have Tommy mourning over 7 dead children throughout the episode and then out of nowhere, considering murdering his own nephew/son. This is bad writing not just for how sensationally unbelievable it is, but it's also completely inconsistant with Tommys character as we have understood him for 3 and a half seasons and it's inconsistant with the episode. In the episode after Conner died Tommy was willing to jump over the side of a building to save a little girl. That's consistant. In season one Tommy jumped from one rooftop to another to save a little girl even though he could've waited ten more seconds for a ladder. Why does he do these things, what motivates his character to take these huge risks? He doesn't want anymore ghosts. That motivation is spelled out very clearly and repeatedly through the course of this series. Now he's going to murder his kid. That's not full circle for this last episode. Full circle would be him saving his kid from Janet, not murdering him. I hate this last episode not for it's over the top unbelievability, I hate it because it's unbelievably inconsistant with the show that I used to love. It's not what Tommy would do. They're writing this show like it's the Sopranos on a fire truck. I loved the Sopranos, but I don't love the Sopranos on a fire truck. This show is over. It's run its course. It could have been good but they ran out of ideas. I predict one more season.

August 05 2007 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty

I was very disturbed to even think that they would portray a firefighter like that. Being married to a firefighter it was very disturbing to even think that a firefighter would do that . They join to save lives not take them. If the writers even think of going through with tommy dropping the baby in the river I am through with the show.

August 04 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chessica

Let me restate things. I'm not offended by the baby dangling scene in the sense that I think baby dangling is evil as one wit her put it. Yes I'm aware Tommy is truly a piece of shit who has done reprehensible things. BUT - the character is not a baby killer despite his mental problems, etc. That's what I find offensive.
Now put that in your pompous arse and smoke it!

August 04 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Amen, TVMovieFreak...Tommy needs to start drinking and fighting again. The show is definitely losing steam, much like Nip/Tuck when Christian started to settle down. Those antics are what keeps us tuning in...I am waiting for the big moment when the real Tommy Gavin is back! And we need to hear from his dead cousin, too.

August 03 2007 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply