November 26, 2014

Clark and Michael: In The Limelight - VIDEO

by Varun Lella, posted Aug 6th 2007 3:19PM
Sometimes the best television isn't transmitting through satellites, cables or airwaves. Sometimes the best television isn't shown on any channel. Sometimes the best television is on the internet. Case in point: Clark and Michael.

Clark and Michael is the brain child of Arrested Development's Michael Cera and Clark Duke, who can be found on ABC's Greek. The project that started as Duke's college thesis has evolved into a full season of hilarity at ten-minutes-per-serving.

Since we first reported on Clark and Michael, the boys have finished the CBS-produced series with ten episodes and, if CBS is smart, they will be back for a second series soon. If you are a fan of The Office or Arrested Development -- which most people with the ability to laugh are -- then you will like, heck love, this show.

The webisodes are shot as a semi-reality show, following Duke and Cera as writers trying to make it big in Hollywood. The humor is dry, deadpan and hilarious. Cera carries that same geeky awkwardness that made him perfect as George Michael and elevated the fake David O. Russel, Lily Tomlin-inspired Knocked Up behind-the-scenes fight to internet classic status. Although the boys are young (Cera isn't even 20 yet), the writing and acting is on par with most comedy veterans in the biz today.

Don't be discouraged if you don't rave after the first episode. Part of the (probably unintentional) genius of the show is how it grows on you with each new episode. As TVS writer Isabelle noted, by episode ten you'll wish that there were more installments to watch.

P.S. -- Watch out for guest spots from David Cross, Jonah Hill (Superbad), Patton Oswald, Andy Richter and Adult Swim's Eric Wareheim as the strange neighbor Randy.

P.S.S -- I found a little series preview by Clark Duke that will hopefully whet your appetite.

Borat

I've seen 3 episodes yet, and I'm loving it! I started watching it for Michael Cera, but it's Clark who has stolen the show.

August 06 2007 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Looks good! And FYI, it's P.P.S, not P.S.S.

August 06 2007 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Media Glutton

Just saw the Mitch Hurwitz scene in episode three. I don't think I've laughed harder in a long time. Brilliant stuff.

August 06 2007 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

I wasn't too impressed by the first episode, but by the time I hit the 5th episode I proclaimed the show the best internet-only show of all time. Really funny and the cameos are hilarious. There's even a random dig of Jason Biggs?! That's brilliant.

August 06 2007 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Louis

I found this on the Xbox Live Media store (for free) and have downloaded and watched every single one of them. The quality is standard-def, but it looks really good on tv. I hope they do more stuff like this, and keep it free!!

August 06 2007 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Kellen L: I totally agree with you. In the meantime, I catch Michael in the "Arrested Development" reruns and Clark in "Greek".

August 06 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kellen Laker

I have watched every single episode as it has come out. It is absolutely incredible. Bright futures for both of these guys. I only hope they do a DVD release of some kind. Ripping these small files doesn't do it justice.

August 06 2007 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply