April 24, 2014

Three terrible news anchors

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 6th 2007 2:22PM

Rick SanchezDoing the news can't be easy. It's a lot more than just reading the teleprompter, especially when you do it live. The really good anchors make it look easy and the merely competent ones make it look hard (but you feel for them). It's the really bad ones that make you cringe and throw something at the TV (or change the channel). Not only are they incompetent when it comes to skills, they have an off-putting air about them. At best they are anchors who should be reporters and not sit in an anchor chair.

I've picked the three very worst ones I can find on TV right now. And just so we're clear, I'm talking about news people who read the news or anchor. So you won't see show hosts like Nancy Grace or Bill O'Reilly here. And I'm concentrating on national anchors, not local ones. There's not enough space on the web to do one on local anchors. Though I'd love to do one on Boston anchors some day.

1. Rick Sanchez (CNN): Do I really have to explain why he's #1? OK...

Formerly of MSNBC, Sanchez's claim to fame is the time he got tasered by the police to see what it was like (the video was mocked endlessly on The Daily Show). But beyond mocking Sanchez for the ridiculous stories he does and the way that he does them (a mixture of arrogance and cluelessness), the guy is an irritation when it comes to his voice too. It's one of those faux, booming, "I'm an announcer! Three people have just died in a horrific accident in Los Angeles, and you just heard "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club. Coming up next..." type of voices. But he's casual too! You can tell by the way he sits on the edge of a console or leans back in his chair. The casual guy with the evil demeanor. You want really bad things to happen to Sanchez, like a tax audit or explosive diarrhea. He's the guy who makes you realize, yes, Ted Baxters really do exist. When Sanchez is on, I change the channel immediately, even if the only other thing on is a Supernanny rerun.

2. Ann Curry (NBC): Curry never met a sentence she couldn't stumble over. She seems to favor reading the news really rapidly, as if that gives her segments more gravitas, that there are so many stories to cover, but don't worry fans, I'm here to cover them all! She seems to jump three words ahead from what the teleprompter says. Then there's the "banter" she tries with Matt and Meredith and Al. Banter as in "I'm going to say something really inappropriate right now." She often has a pained expression on her face, as if she doesn't know what question to ask next but if she looks really serious (which often involves putting her hand on her chin) she'll appear to be a "journalist."

3. Tony Harris (CNN): Also known as "the guy who looks off into space," because whenever he is doing the news, he seems to look off to the side, pausing, as if looking into a monitor. Though I think that's just his "style." He looks off to the side to show he's "thinking." The pacing of his words, his tone, his inflection...it's a really odd mixture of boredom and intense, over the top questions.

I'm sure there are more. Who do you think is a terrible news anchor? Who makes you shake your head and/or change the channel?

(Coming later this week, a list of great anchors.)

Baxter777

ANN IS TERRIBLE!!

December 23 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I am so enraged at these anchors I was driven in frustration to find these pages, too. Here is my list of top buffoons:

1. T.J. Holmes
2. Rick Sanchez
3. Kiran Chetry

Mr. Holmes reached the top spot because he is young, and completely inarticulate with a 'hip-hop' cadence to his delivery. He rams his sentences through, often mumbling, hoping the audience won't know he is often repeating event facts instead of thinking and intelligently communicating event facts like it's coming from his brain. Like the former radio disc jockey he is, he's just used to chattering and repeating, not communicating intelligent facts with intention.

As for Kiran, I hated Soledad for her stupidity, but Kiran looks worse and doesn't seen that much brighter. Red furry sweaters and black velvet skirts: where does she get her clothes? Totally unprofessional for morning business news. They televise from New York's Time Warner Center. For God's sake, get downstairs to Banana Republic! Her young, un-pulled together comportment is bringing the seasoned John Roberts down.

As for Rick Sanchez, everyone here has already gotten it absolutely right. I was saying it to myself from the moment he got on CNN.

November 24 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pat's comment
okImhere

I STRONGLY disagree with you on your OPINION of T.J. Holmes. He is FAR from inarticulate and it is very open minded of you to associate his demeanor with "HIp-Hop"...instead of focusing so intensely on the strands on his head try focusing on the message instead of the messenger...these are trULY idiotic distractions to focus on and in doing so, you prove YOURSELF incompetent of intellect and judgemental. Perhaps you should become anchor of WORLD NEWS and be prepared to have everything about you dissected.

May 09 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn Thompson

Meredith Vieira close your legs....every time the camera shows a full shot, her legs are spread wide open, it bugs me.

October 28 2007 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanX

Anne Curry is hot.....she should've gotten Courics chair.
Campbell brown (?) IS OKAY....But Anee has the professionalism,tact and looks great in boots, business suit too!

October 26 2007 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Rick (Ricardo--aka "anchor baby") Sanchez is disgusting. I just watched his hour-long "special" on illegal immigrants (aka--his relatives) and he was so "giddy" with his excitement over his fellow-Latino guests. It was if he was at his 5-year old niece's slumber party or his mom's donkey show. One of the guests was Maria Conchita Alonso (sic)--did I miss the story of someone throwing acid in her face or has she aged that badly--oh wait--that is how all Latinos age--except J-Lo; who spends $1 million a year on spray painting her ugly face.

October 03 2007 at 9:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
al

I agree with the poster who said rick sanchez should take all three top spots. First for his condescending arrogance, despite the fact that he is utterly clueless. Second for his over-gesticulation. Actually, he can squeeze so many different hand movements into a space of 15 seconds it's dizzying. And third for his penchant for interrupting his guests... often screaming at them for absolutely no reason (one a week or so ago even asked him "Why are you yelling at me?" ha ha ha). Last night he exhibited all three in his mangling of the madeleine mccann story. after proclaiming "let's get everyone up to speed on this" or some such nonsense, it was clear he didn't know that it had already been conclusively determined that the tourists photo was not madeleine. he walked up to the screen behind him, one of which had the tourists photo, and the other which had the journalists photo that disproved the sighting, and didn't know which was which. he then proclaimed that the little girl in the two photos was not the same little girl. all the while gesticulating and almost foaming at the mouth to interrupt his guest (who, just as bizarrely, claimed that the little girl COULD be madeleine, and we wouldn't know for sure until we measured the distance between the tip of her nose and her pupils...). sanchez has single handedly pushed me over the edge to fox. (although the rest of the cnn crew has been nudging me in that direction for a while...)

September 27 2007 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebekah

Arrgh! Rick Sanchez drove me to my computer in frustration this morning, and led me to this page (after Googling his name with 'annoying', 'interrupts' and 'sucks'). He's terrible. He constantly interrupts his interview subjects to interject some stupid empty comment, he never lets them finish a sentence. He totally messes up the flow of conversation and debate. I miss Paula Zahn.

September 26 2007 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne

What about T.J. Holmes? Now, there is another guy with a highly annoying voice. It's all over the place, and he just can't stop laughing. He is always amused!

Your thoughts?

September 12 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne

Thank God! I knew that I couldn't be the ONLY one out there who can't stand Rick Sanchez's style. That booming-style voice of his is painfully annoying. The inflection and crazy highs and lows of it! It's extremely distracting to simply hearing the news of the day. I wouldn't think that he would have made the cut for CNN as far as intelligence is concerned. He's over-the-top dramatic. YES, he is an evil Ted Baxter!

September 12 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

That's it... Sanchez makes me CRINGE! Obviously they didn't use enough voltage when they zapped him, he survived.

September 10 2007 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply