September 2, 2014

Stump the King - The Simpsons

by Paul Goebel, posted Aug 7th 2007 10:30AM

The SimpsonsI took my kids to see The Simpsons Movie this weekend. While it was their first time seeing the film, it was my second and I still enjoyed it quite a bit simply because it's a funny movie.

Because I have kids, I often go see a lot of crappy animated films based on cartoons. I've seen, Rugrats Go Wild, The Wild Thornberrys Movie and The Spongebob Squarepants Movie among others. For the most part, I enjoyed these films but they were little more than a longer version of the TV show. The Simpsons Movie, however, is much more

While the movie can easily be described as a long episode of The Simpsons, it is without a doubt, one of the funniest episodes ever.

The fact that the movie is ninety minutes long in no way detracts from the humor. Much like the show, The Simpsons Movie is chock full of jokes that are laugh-out-loud funny.

Now, I'm sure I am surprising no one with my glowing review of the film but my point is this...The Simpsons Movie has raised the bar for animated films and I really hope that future filmmakers take the note and try to measure up.

Now for this week's question...

Which guest celebrity has appeared the most on The Simpsons?

Chris Wyant was the first with the correct answer A. (Albert) Brooks. Way to go!

Paul Goebel

I rarely, if ever, respond to comments about my trivia questions, but I thought it was unfair not to explain why Albert Brooks is the right answer.
Phil Hartman is not a "guest" because he often would play characters who were ancillary to the plot of the episode (Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure). I don't include Jon Lovitz, Marcia Wallace or Joe Mantegna for the same reason. That only leaves Kelsey Grammar with more appearances than Brooks. In this case, Grammar played the same character changing his "guest" status to a recurring role the more he appeared. I don't apologize for my reasoning but I do apologize that my question was not more clear. I will try to rectify that mistake in the future.

August 08 2007 at 3:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spolster

Brooks didn't appear as himself either. He played 4 (I think) different characters over 5 episodes.

August 07 2007 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Grammer appeared as a character not a guest ("himself").

August 07 2007 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeremy

I dunno about raising the bar for animated films in general. Perhaps for those based on TV-shows, but the animation can't compete with the latest pixar movie, or shrek.

Though I have a bias towards 3d animation, a lot of the more robust scenes in the simpsons movie were CG if I'm not mistaken they call it "toon shading".

August 07 2007 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spolster

I guess that depends on how you define 'celebrity'. Marcia Wallace and Joe Mantegna may not be 'celebrity' enough to count, but I would have said Kelsey Grammer was a celebrity and he's appeared 9 times to Brooks' 5, and as the same character each time, no less.

August 07 2007 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

How is it Albert Brooks exactly? He's only been in 5 episodes. He may be the only guest to return without playing the same character, but Jon Lovitz has been in 9 episodes playing 8 different characters.

August 07 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn

Really? Albert Brooks has been on more than Marcia Wallace and Joe Mantegna?

August 07 2007 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spolster

Tress McNeille or Pamela Hayden?

August 07 2007 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

Yeah, I'm guessing Marcia Wallace. By the way, why IS she always credited as a 'guest'? Is it just some running gag, or is there some contractual reason?

August 07 2007 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply