October 20, 2014

Jonny Quest live-action flick is a go

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 8th 2007 8:01PM

jonny questMy friend Wild Bill sent me news that Jonny Quest, the Hanna-Barbera series about the titular lad who accompanies his scientist father on wild adventures, is being made into a live-action movie. The series, much like The Flintstones, The Jetsons and Top Cat, aired during primetime when it first aired in the '60s. New versions of Jonny Quest also popped up in the '80s and '90s.

Like the upcoming Speed Racer flick from the Wachowski brothers, reports so far say the movie will be "family friendly." The movie will serve as an origin story explaining how Jonny's bodyguard Roger "Race" Bannon and Dr. Benton Quest's adopted son Hadji join the family.

It sounds like the folks behind this movie really want to amp up the adventure/secret agency angle of the cartoon series, which, if done right could be pretty cool.

I must admit I never watched Jonny Quest. A lot of its charm stemmed from the fact that it was more serious in tone from other Hanna-Barbera shows, but my taste was always for the wackier, cartoony stuff. However, that same "serious" tone also makes it perfect for a live-action adaptation. I can't imagine someone wanting to see a live-action Huckleberry Hound, but stranger things have happened.

What do you guys think about this?

RSL

I'm just gonna assume right off the bat that this is going to be a comedy in which they'll be making tons of puerile homophobic jokes about the two adult leads. Birdman did it best. Next?

August 09 2007 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

We need a Captain Planet movie with Al Gore!

August 09 2007 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Land

Jonny Quest is great an all but what I really want is a Venture Bros feature-length film.

August 08 2007 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

in one version Bannon had a daughter who went on adventures with them. i think it was the CGI version from the 90's. i wonder if they'll put her in the movie so it'll appeal to girls.

August 08 2007 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Edwards

I'd pay 10 bucks to see a live-action Quickdraw McGraw!

August 08 2007 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tristan

I loved the other NEw Adventures of Johnny Quest that were in the CGI form, they were amazing.

August 08 2007 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edgore

Unless they treat the Harvey Birdman episode featuring the cast of Jonny Quest as canon I can't this being very interesting.

August 08 2007 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
terry

Seriously, Hollywood, there are plenty of fresh ideas out there. You guys don't have to remake EVERYTHING!!

August 08 2007 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply