April 18, 2014

Flight of the Conchords EP and pictures of Jemaine's lips - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 9th 2007 11:23AM
Flight of the ConchordsOver the past few weeks, my quiet adoration for Flight of the Conchords and their HBO show has quickly spiraled into something dangerously close to rabid fanaticism. This transformation is marked by my sudden desire -- nay, my sudden need -- to listen to and watch all that the boys have ever done, and then take screencaptures of everything and then use those screencaptures in Photoshop to make little 100 x 100 avatars so that I can share my love with other fans on Flight of the Conchords forums and message boards. However, I'm glad to say that I'm not quite there yet, because my self-control has helped me contain my creepiness to a certain extent. That said, I do have a PSD file of screencaptures of the last episode on my Desktop right now. I'm just saying.

Okay, enough story time, because I have some good stuff to share...

The band has just released a new six-track EP called The Distant Future. Unfortunately, it's all music that has already been heard on their show, and it's not enough to be considered a full soundtrack (after all, there are four more episodes to go). Still, it's nice to have some cleaned-up tracks. The full EP is currently available for streaming as part of AOL's Listening Party.

Also, as part of my Conchords-related video-digging, I stumbled across their SXSW documentary, Flight of the Conchords: A Texan Odyssey (watch in full on Google Video). The whole thing was very enjoyable, but the moment that I loved the most was when Bret and Jemaine interviewed one of their few hardcore American fans (this documentary was filmed in 2006, before the HBO show's time). She was a plain-looking woman who seemed quite giddy to be in the guys' presence. Her husband quietly stood to the side as she fawned over Bret and Jemaine, immediately bringing to mind Mel, the lone, doting fan from the TV show (check out Mel's vlogs on the HBO site, too). What sealed the deal was when the fan showed the cameras what photos she keeps in her wallet at all times...

Ohh, it killed me. It killed me dead. In the pilot episode, Mel had revealed that she keeps a picture of Jemaine's lips with her at all times. I wonder how the real-life fan feels about having that moment immortalized on the show and possibly serving as the inspiration for the fourth creepiest folk comedy duo fan in the TV world.

Annemjw

The woman from A Texan Odyssey was (and is, I think) a member at the main 'unofficial' FOTC website, What the Folk! (http://www.whatthefolk.net/), I believe they were very amused by its immortalisation in the tv show.

September 28 2007 at 6:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ProgGrrl

Believe me Annie you are DEFINITELY not the only fan(girl) out there with a folder full of 100x100 icons of these guys.

August 10 2007 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

The EP is solid and the live version of "Robots," may be better than the studio version (used on the debut episode of the series).

August 09 2007 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

you really need to go on youtube and find their song "Jenny". it is hilarious. it hasn't been on the show yet, I'm actually not sure how they would be able to fit it in. that being said, they figured out a way to get "albie, the racist dragon" in which had to have been a stretch, so who knows. but you need to go listen to "Jenny". funny crap man.

August 09 2007 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Matisoff

I LOVE this show!

TVSquad needs to start reviewing this show weekly. For the sole fact that I want to think about it again every Monday morning.

August 09 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
noah

FYI, Sub Pop records says: "We will be releasing a Flight of the Conchords full-length recording sometime in early 2008."

August 09 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz Renninger

The part of Texas Odyssey with the fans is made even more hilarious by Bret and Jemaine's awkward, not-knowing-quite-what-to-do reactions.

I love the "Banter" track on the Distant Future; their sheep puns are ridiculous. They have a full-length album coming out sometime within the next year, so keep an eye out for that.

August 09 2007 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

I adore this show too, having only discovered it a fortnight ago (God bless torrents until the DVDs come out! One day they will be the way all TV is screened)

It's such a mixture of subtlety, silliness, and super song writing, and the leads, especially Jermaine, are so deadpan.

This, + Sunny in Philedelphia, are the only funny shows to come out since AD went off the air.

August 09 2007 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply