September 30, 2014

Keitel may replace Patinkin on Criminal Minds - NEVERMIND

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 9th 2007 12:28PM
harvey keitelWhen we first announced that Mandy Patinkin was leaving Criminal Minds, fans were pretty devastated. A lot of commenters felt no one could replace him and some even said they wouldn't watch the show without him. Today, there's word that actor Harvey Keitel is in negotiations to replace Patinkin on the popular series. Keitel is a pretty heavy hitter, but will he be enough to keep fans tuning in?

Keitel will no doubt bring a much different feel to the show. Patinkin's character was rather subdued and kind-of morose, but I don't see that coming from Harvey Keitel. And, who would want that anyway? A new character needs to bring something new to the table. (Geena Davis was reportedly in negotiations for Patinkin's role but those broke down last month)

Would Keitel make an adequate replacement for Patinkin?

**TV Guide says the deal is "no longer on the table." Keitel joins the long list of celebrities who considered--and then decided against--joining the show: Geena Davis, Michael Keaton, and Bob Hoskins.

Flutesong

I wish it had worked out with Harvey Keitel.

I think he is a wonderful actor and could have played gruff/intelligent/empathetic very well. I would love to see him on TV regularly as well, which would be a new thing for him entirely.

I certainly hope they do get a “heavy-hitter” on the show as it is very good and deserves someone who will add even more clout to the ensemble. While the show is certainly character driven, as we see one or another of the team affected by each ongoing case, I hope they stick to the unsub being the most interesting part of each episode. I am sure there are enough weird and bizarre things left for the crazies to commit for many seasons to come.

August 12 2007 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eirik

I'm not worried about the cast changes. I always watched the show as an ensemble, and Patankin hasn't even played the most interesting character to me.

Unless his departure really messes up the chemistry of things, I'll keep watching.

August 09 2007 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Carter

I agree with 'D' - i also think harvey would be great - i was terrified at first with the whole geena davis thing - that would have been god-awful.

August 09 2007 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jesssier

Great Great Great casting Get Harvey casted I'm so excited I don't know what to say.

August 09 2007 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D.

I think Keitel is a GREAT CHOICE!!! Bring in him in.

And the person who said that Geena Davis would have been perfect: BLECH. She's a horrible actress, with the exception of Beetlejuice.

And also, The BAU is a boys club. They have three women on the show already. Don't need to add more, cause it will be unrealistic.

August 09 2007 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony B

If they have a problem getting Keitel I have a few suggestions...

Cary Elwes (of Princess Bride and Twister)
Avery Brooks (of Spenser for Hire, Star Trek:DS9)
Paul McCrane (Dr. Ramano from ER)

August 09 2007 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Genna Davis would have been fantastic; another strong female presence is needed on this show. Harvey Keitel? Eh.

August 09 2007 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jo

Wow! It would be great to see Keitel on a regular basis; perfect casting.

August 09 2007 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply