April 25, 2014

Rescue Me: Solo

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Aug 9th 2007 7:46AM

Denis Leary(S04E08) "Yeah... let me, um, just put the axe away." - Tommy

Well it's about time. This is the Rescue Me I remember. Granted, Tommy never got drunk, but there were moments where it sure felt like he was. From the fight with Janet, to the onslaught of all his ghosts at once, to running into that fire all by himself, Tommy seems to be back to normal. Sort of.

I suppose we should talk about the ghosts first. They've been far and few between all season, but it was all building up to this. The only missing spook? Connor. But that makes sense to me at least because Tommy never sat down with his late son and got advice from him like he did with Jimmy.

But everyone else, including Jimmy, was there. Billy (all the way from season one) along with that other unnamed firefighter who died in 9/11, Johnny, and even Jerry. Although it wasn't Jack McGee in the chair, from the backside it was clearly meant to look like him. What are the ghosts up to these days? Poker and lighting themselves on fire.

However, we found out that Tommy had been warned. The mysterious black shadow ghost guy had been sent to get Tommy back on the right track and to stop being so selfish. Well it didn't work, because Jimmy, Johnny, and the rest of the gang dumped some gas, lit a match, said goodbye, and closed the bedroom door. That entire scene as Tommy broke down trying to get them out of the burning room was amazing. He can't keep his family together and now his ghosts (the people in his head) don't even want anything to do with him. The title of the episode makes a lot more sense now, huh?

Elsewhere, the world just kept ticking. Sheila is finally giving Elvis (I can't believe she named him that) everything he deserves -- especially a mother who loves him. Of course, it's only a matter of time until Janet comes for him. She's snapped at this point. She's like a woman possessed and she's taking Katie along for the ride. The fight with Tommy resulted in some great scenes at the firehouse as everyone speculated what happened. Getting hit by a car never factored into it as Tommy "must have been" whacked with a baseball bat, bludgeoned by a gun with no bullets, or any other number of things the guys came up with. Back to what I said before, this is the show I remember right down to the humor. Like the conversation with Tommy and Lou discussing the Jewish female's penchant for oral delight? Hilarious, even more so since it's been lacking all season.

Other random thoughts...

• Speaking of the Jewish female, something tells me that Feinberg isn't going to be too happy with Tommy when he hears how the date with his daughter (Amy Sedaris!) went. Based on next week's previews, it looks like it just adds fuel to a conflict between Tommy and Sydney that's already started.
  • Looks like no more Jennifer Esposito as Gina Gershon seems to be taking on the role of Tommy's next sexual conquer.
  • Franco and Sean's stories are getting a little off-beat for my liking. Sean just sits around all day and now Franco is trying to sleep with Alicia. Neither of them seem to have any path. Franco wants two women. Sean wants Maggie to stop drinking but he's not willing to leave her. Both of them just need to pick a side.
  • I'm glad Mick is back again. I love his character. Just the way he rolls his eyes is funny.
  • When the truck hit that car and Lou tended to the victim, I thought I was going to puke in my mouth when he tasted her blood. Instead, I laughed out loud. (Tomato soup? Homemade. Delicious!)
  • Plus, it looks like Lou is back on track to reprising his role as the drunk guy who wanders around town, much like after last year's "great Lou depression." Not good. That was sad seeing him do that to himself. Mike (Artie Lange) is a bad influence on him.

So, I think we're supposed to expect a reformed Tommy for the rest of the season. But something tells me that he'll only get more reckless in the process. It's going to take a lot more than that little prayer book to bring his family back together this time.

Do you think Tommy's ghosts are really gone for good?
Yes. It's been fine without them all season.14 (7.7%)
No. The show won't be the same without them.134 (73.6%)
Jimmy will come back, but no one else17 (9.3%)
Johnny will still haunt Tommy about the baby17 (9.3%)

lynne

FINALLY! I have been bitching that I miss the fights, sex, fires and humor all season and I actually stopped watching but then I ddecided to download one more episode on Itunes - good decision.

August 26 2007 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

"When the truck hit that car and Lou tended to the victim, I thought I was going to puke in my mouth when he tasted her blood. Instead, I laughed out loud. (Tomato soup? Homemade. Delicious!)"

When I saw that, and saw she was acting fine, i said out loud 'Yeah, but the pizza is a mess'.

(Guy is driving home and sees a car crashed into a tree with red goop all over the windshield. Gagging, he runs up to the car, sees a woman sitting there and asks 'Are you all right?' and she says...)

August 25 2007 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Does anyone really think that having the baby around will straighten out Sheila? I've dealt with Sheila for 4 crazy years, and I am certain that she is off-the-wall bonkers. At some point, either in this season or, at the pace this season has been going, early next season, Tommy will find out that Sheila was drugging and raping him, and then everyone will know she's insane. I see it playing out like this: Janet gets the baby back, Sheila screams at Tommy, the whole drug/rape thing accidentally slips out, and then Tommy will do something nuts.

August 12 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommy

This season has let me down, but next week looks like things might be shaping up. Gine Gershon is hot sex.

August 10 2007 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colby

Did "shadow" Tommy make an appearance? I could only watch the show until "Yeah... let me, um, just put the axe away." : D

I know there still some debate as to who this actually is (some people thought Jimmy, othere thought Needles by his appearance, I just thought of a new theory: Is it possibly "future" Tommy .. . maybe 20 years down the line ... trying to move him down a different path than the one he ended up taking?

I don't see any reason as to why they want to keep it/him in the shadows.

Thoughts?

August 09 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

Mick left the priesthood because he was disgusted with the rampant priest pedophilia that has plagued the Catholic Church.

They didn't really explain it explicitly, rather they showed him in a relationship with a woman in Season 1 and then Mick took a special interest in his Priest half-cousin in Season 2 (?) when he witnessed the priest getting "handsy" with an alterboy.

Throughout that sub-plot, Mick kept trying to convince Tommy and Johnny that their new half-brother could be a pederast because of what he experienced/witnessed in the Priesthood. It was in these scenes between Tommy and Mick that the audience learns why he left.

The kid's older brother--a former alterboy and prey for the same Priest--confirmed Mick's suspicions and ultimately killed himself in front of Tommy, Mick, and the Priest after he confronted the Priest with a gun.

August 09 2007 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

August 09 2007 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

I have watched since season 2 and I always look forward to the next episode. And I am never disappointed. That goes for this season as well. I love the show for both its blatant and subtle humor. Take Tommy's "date" with the chief's kooky daughter (who was hysterical by the way). His passion for firefighting aside, he was so desparate to get away from his date that he actually preferred running into a burning building, risking life and limb, to pull someone out! And I loved last week's episode, when Lou was "coaching" at the basketball game and he has to have his players in a huddle during a timeout but doesn't have anything to say to them. So in order to make the other team think he's "strategizing" he starts drawing on the clipboard...but it's pics of a vagina! And then, when the huddle is over he says "OK, on 3...1,2,3 VAGINA!" It was hysterical! Keep up the great work. Love the show.

p.s. BUT could Mike be any dumber or Sean any more pathetic? these guys are unbelievable!

August 09 2007 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

"It's interesting that he's helping straighten out Sean as well."

Mick isn't trying to straighten out Sean, he's trying to straighten out Maggie, who is also his cousin.

And if I recall correctly, he left the priesthood because he was having sex with a (female, adult) parishioner.

August 09 2007 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jabes54

Amy - Mick is another cousin of Tommy's who left the priesthood a couple of seasons back (does someone remember why?) and is Tommy's AA sponsor. It's interesting that he's helping straighten out Sean as well.

I (finally) liked last night's episode. That burning-the-ghosts scene (and black out afterward) was really intense. In fact, I think it went on longer than it needed to without any real resolution (plus, I know it's uncaring New York, but wouldn't someone in the building be disturbed by the fight and his chopping through the wall?) And who repo'd Tommy's truck?

It seems like a bunch of characters found (or started to find) their moral compass last night -- Janet got off the couch, Franco may have gotten straightened out, Sean has to do the right thing for Maggie, Sheila might get off the crazy train for the baby's sake, and Tommy got rid of his ghosts (maybe).

But who the hell repo'd his truck and why?

August 09 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply