July 24, 2014

Casting news about the Dead Like Me movie

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Aug 12th 2007 11:01AM
Dead Like MeThanks to Multichannel blogger Mary McNamara, we now have fresh casting news about the Dead Like Me movie. The blogger, who attended the MGM panel at Comic-Con, reports that MGM's Senior Executive Vice President Finance and Corporate Development Charlie Cohen confirmed that everyone, except Mandy Patinkin and Laura Harris, was back for the direct-to-DVD movie. That is old news for TV Squad readers. But what is new is that Cohen gave the names of the actors set to replace both actors.

Cohen claims that Lost's Henry Ian Cusick plays the role of Cameron (first reported to be named Calvin), the person stepping in Rube's shoes as the lead reaper who hands out the assignments. As for the role of Daisy Adair, 24's Sarah Wynter landed the role.

As we mentioned in July, if the movie sells well, the series may be back on the small screen. Charlie Cohen gave a bit more details about this potential comeback saying that it could be a series of movies or another television series. However, McNamara's post reveals that MGM has not optioned any of the cast for future DLM projects.

The Dead Like Me movie is set to hit the DVD shelves in a store near you sometime during Summer 2008.

Cindy

They actually re-cast Daisy? Oh that's all kinds of not right. That should have been re-written as a whole new character the minute they knew they couldn't get Laura Harris back. As far as Mandy Patinkin, I doubt anyone could have gotten him. I am very interested to see how Henry Ian Cusick does in the head reaper role. Regardless, its a DLM movie, and I'm excited to see it!!

August 14 2007 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Marggy: I know it's bad news but no one knew Mandy would quit "Criminal Minds" when they gave the movie the green light. As for Harris, if her series does well, it's possible that she not be free until May 2008. So that's why they decided to go with another actress.

August 13 2007 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marggy

This is horrible news. I can't believe they really recasted Daisy. They should have either waited for Laura to be done or gotten rid of the character.

And if they'd waited, they could have gotten Mandy Patinkin. Sigh...this whole thing is so bittersweet.

August 13 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Oreo: Indeed it's a lot time between end of production and release. I guess they want to release it during the next Comic-Con to create some extra advertising.

August 12 2007 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I think recasting Daisy is a bad idea. He charater in the movie seems so out of charater anyways they might as well just change the charter completely.

And the movie isn't coming out until next year? I thought they finished filming a few weeks ago. It will take 10 months for post production?

August 12 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Heumann

Dead Like Me w/o Mandy Patankin? What's the point?

August 12 2007 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Awesome. I'm about halfway through the second season right now.

August 12 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

Wow, it's going to be weird watching Sarah Wynter playing Daisy...especially since she played Laura Harris' sister on 24...

August 12 2007 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

They should have treated the role of Daisy Adair as they did with that of Rube Sofer - get rid of the character entirely through one explanation or another and start fresh with a new character. Recasting roles always takes me out of the illusion of what I'm viewing.

August 12 2007 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher

The entertaining thing about the casting of Sarah Wynter is that she and Laura Harris played sisters in the second season of 24.

It frightens me that I know that off-hand.

August 12 2007 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply