December 20, 2014

ABC pulls Knights, Nine... again

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 14th 2007 10:01AM
abcABC has yanked The Knights of Prosperity and The Nine off its schedule... again. Both series performed poorly in the ratings last season and were officially canceled in the spring. But, ABC was taking the opportunity to burn off the final episodes during this summer. Apparently even that wasn't garnering enough ratings for the network, because they've been replaced by reruns of According to Jim and NASCAR in Primetime.

There are still four episodes of The Nine that have not aired and two episodes of Knights that never aired. No word from ABC on whether they will ever see the light of day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

David Wess

Well I missed the first "summer"showing of The Nine 3 weeks ago but thankfully watched it on ABC.com. Watched the second last week and had the DVR set to record it last night, as the channel guide listed it as being on. Certainly disappointed to find NASCAR instead. Sure it's sad the ratings aren't good, but as someone said, it's the last couple of weeks of summer, we all DVR our shows!!! If they (ABC) plan to for sure never air the remaining episodes then please, at least put them on ABC.com!!!!

August 16 2007 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hexx

Knights was great... sure it wasn't the best but it's better than a lot of shows on tv. I wonder what's going to happen in the next two episodes.

August 14 2007 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stu

My confusion comes from a different angle. I don't understand why ABC was expecting to get any decent ratings when it was burning off two shows that essentially have no ending. Why would I want to watch The Nine when it doesn't wrap up... it just ends because the network canceled it? Same with Knights.

Either air them with low expectations or just put them on the website.

August 14 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

I loved The Knights of Prosperity! I guess it ranks in there with Jim and Lopez...but I like those types of shows better than the dramas and "dramadies". I never watched The Nine until last week and I liked it, I don't understand ABC or any other network really. They take away The Nine and give up Cavemen? I think ABC actually hired Disney writers to come up with some of their shows for this fall.

August 14 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAK

I really thought that NBC did a rare and wonderful thing when they showed the entire season of "Studio 60" earlier this year even though it's ratings were not good and the show had already not been renewed for another season. It was a nice gift to the fans who did like the show and wanted to see it play out. It won a lot of goodwill with me personally as I was one of those fans.

I thought ABC was following NBC's lead by doing the same with "The Nine". I lLOVED watching the last 2 episodes. Even though it had been months since the show was cancelled, I found myself riveted again and totally engrossed in the show and the characters. And now - yanked - again. This is so disappointing. Slapping fans of the show TWICE ! I'm done with ABC. I don't care what they introduce this fall.

My brother is not a serious TV viewer and never watches anything new but he does wait to hear what shows are good, then he rents or buys the DVDs after the season is over. That way he can devout his TV viewing to shows that are good and safe from being yanked. I'm starting to see the logic in his style of TV viewing.

August 14 2007 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I think some folks are missing the point: These original episodes did WORSE than RERUNS of other shows. It isn't the network treating these shows like dirt -- it is the audience. (Of course, it isn't as "cool" to blame the audience.)

August 14 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Networks NEVER air leftover episodes in completion. They make the promise and every time they yank it again anyway. They don't fool me any more.

August 14 2007 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Man, I just found out they were airing The Nine late last week. I was going to record this week's episode. Oh well...if I get bored it is also on ABC.com, for now.

August 14 2007 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtt

They have already paid for the episodes. Do networks have to pay more if they actually air those episodes? Are the ratings so bad that they can't find a place to air them in a 24 hr day? I mean they are paid for....Put them on Thursday night at 11 PM. What am I missing....All of these canceled shows that have episodes done...yet the ratings are so important that they can't air them? What about selling them to a cable network for a couple hundred bucks? I mean it would be a couple hundred more than they would have had just by shelving them....And their are lots of cable networks that would love to pull in a million viewers.....What's up with that?

August 14 2007 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

What could you expect, those networks treat us like crap, and if we keep accepting it & watching those remaining episodes whenever they decide to throw them at us, they'll never stop canceling shows after only a couple of episodes!

August 14 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply