Season six Idols begin recording debut albums

by Liz Finn-Arnold, posted Aug 14th 2007 12:01PM
Jordin Sparks and Blake LewisAmerican Idol's season six winner Jordin Sparks and first runner-up Blake Lewis are hitting the studios to record their individual debut albums. With possible release dates as early as Thanksgiving, America will learn soon enough if the latest batch of Idols are "turkeys" or not.

Jordin said, "I'm trying to mix everything together. I'm loving all the songs I'm recording, so hopefully that will come off the album when you listen to it and you'll be able to feel the emotion."

Blake described his album, Audio Daydream (ADD), as "your favourite 80s mix tape - very inspired by Michael Jackson, Prince, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, the Cure. It's all over the map, really - very influenced by 80s hip-hop, old school breaks, whatever."

Both Jordin and Blake were automatically signed with Sony BMG when they placed in the final two of this year's Idol. The remaining season six finalists -- Melinda Doolittle, LaKisha Jones, Chris Richardson, Phil Stacey, Sanjaya Malakar, Haley Scarnato, Gina Glocksen, Chris Sligh, Stephanie Edwards, and Brandon Rogers -- are still waiting to learn if they'll be signed to recording deals.

As reported earlier here, semifinalists Sundance Head and Sabrina Sloan signed a contract with Universal Motown and are recording a CD of duets together which also should be available in late November.

rockme

There was a song performed by one of the male finalist where the drummer from the band got as much praise as the singer did. I left the room for a momment and missed the performance. I think the song was "Fever", but I'm not sure. Do anyone know for sure what it was? How could I get to see this episode? Thanks.

August 28 2007 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about these two, now I remember why. Idol took a turn for the worse in season 5 when Taylor Hicks, got the contract, I doubt these two are going to do much better. But I'm sure they will be a little better cause it's probably not possible to do as poorly in sales as Hicks. Took him forever to go platinum. But the downward trend has begun, and these two don't have what it takes to reverse that trend, they are too bland.

August 16 2007 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vvlaught

i'll take more of chris richardson also, forget the music though......

August 16 2007 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Katz

I went to the American Idol concert with my daughter in Omaha. We both enjoyed the concert at its best. Although Jordin has been my favorite through it all, I thought all contestants did a super job. Blake was especially entertaining. It was well worth going to and I give all of these people a lot of credit for their energy and talent after a long and tiring tour. Thank you to all of you, idols. It was so entertaining and I will always remember this concert as one of the best times of my life!

August 16 2007 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

Just saw American Idols tour and I can attest that all of this seasons contestants will fare well. They were allowed to show their musical talents with instruments,as well,
Each one was unique and their reall talents shone.
Sanjaya was, perhpas, the weakest. But still had his moments.

Blake and Chris were outstanding, Gina was in great voice. Melinda was her usual talented self. And Lakesha stoled the show with the Whitney Houston cover "I will Always love you"

But the night belonged to Jordin and she proved that she was ever bit the Idol she was voted.

I went to show with medium expectations and was blown away.

August 16 2007 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

My prediction: Blake's album will rock. He was the most entertaining of AI6.

I don't really care who else gets a deal. I'd definitely like to see more of Chris Richardson though. And that can be taken more than one way.

August 14 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

My prediction: Blake's album will s-s-s-uck.

August 14 2007 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I thought I read in EW that Phil Stacey got a recording contract for a country album? Hmm, maybe my memory is fuzzy.

August 14 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tristan

Im curious to see if Sanjaya lands a contract with someone. I do hope that both Lakieisha and Melinda get one as well and for kicks Gina

August 14 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply