August 23, 2014

The Closer: Blindsided

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 14th 2007 6:33AM
the closer(S03E09) Another great episode of The Closer! The writers of this show are really knocking it out of the park this season. Did anybody notice in the opening credits that Kevin Bacon directed this episode? I giggled when we saw Brenda nude in the shower (through the frosted glass) because that seemed like a Bacon touch there... show off his hot wife.

Once again, the writers were able to magically mix humor with emotion. And the emotions in this episode were very highly charged, yet the humor fit right in. I am continuously impressed by the show- by the way the story lines and subplots are balanced so perfectly. The writers have become experts at knowing when humor is appropriate and when it isn't.

This episode started with humor: Brenda is in the psychiatrist's office explaining how nothing much is happening in her life... except she shot a suspect to death, got engaged, is buying a house, and her parents are coming to town. Oh, and she's been diagnosed with Early Onset Menopause. From the way the episode began, I halfway expected Brenda to have a nervous breakdown at the end. But she didn't, because she thrives on stress.

The episode is completely light-hearted until, all of a sudden, Brenda and Sgt. Gabriel and a reporter and photographer are shot at during a ride-along. I thought it would permanently switch to serious mode, but it didn't. The comic relief was everywhere: from Brenda's attempts to butt in on the investigation, to her parents, her security detail, Chief Pope and, of course, Lt. Provenza.

Best moments:

• Brenda's security detail (Chad) gets offended when she says she doesn't need security;
  • Chad gets all excited about the investigation and states the obvious (a poke at CSI?) when Brenda asks a rhetorical question about the man from the reporter's story is the same man at Brenda's crime scene;
  • Brenda, her parents, Fritz and her security detail all sit in her bedroom and watch the reporter's tapes to figure out who could have the motive to shoot him;
  • Brenda traps the suspect in the elevator, where she gets him to confess as security cameras roll.
I think this is my favorite season so far. I thoroughly enjoyed all the conflict during season one when Brenda had to constantly prove herself to the priority homicide team, but this season is better. The writing is more crisp, the story lines and the twists at the end are extremely clever and the one-liners are top-notch. I'd say season two is my least favorite so far. I remember it seemed to sag in the middle. But, I was honestly sad to see a promo during tonight's show saying there are only 3 new episodes left!

What has been your favorite season of The Closer?
Season 114 (12.5%)
Season 26 (5.4%)
Season 392 (82.1%)

Houston727Gal

I loved so much about this episode. But the single most touching thing to me was Gabriel throwing himself over Brenda's body to protect her during the shootout. I've loved their relationship since the very first episode where he started driving her around. The tension of her having to reprimand him has been so sad. But then when she hugged him tight and apologized for being so mean to him, I just wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. There are so many great characters on this show, but I love this "couple" as much as any romances or other relationships she with which she is paired.

August 21 2007 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Ann, The Closer is on TNT OnDemand, if that service is available to you. If not, I'm sure a 'The Closer' marathon will run Labor Day weekend. I'm as sure of that as I am of a 'Monk' marathon running on USA.

August 17 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I'm glad that they have gone out the box with the whole 'closer' paradigm. Getting the cofession on the elevator camera...priceless.

August 17 2007 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Moncur

Great episode. I thought it was painfully obvious that the reporter was the target, but otherwise it was great.

It's so rare that today's TV shows let something completely unexpected happen... I was already for a lighthearted comedy episode with Brenda arguing with the reporter the whole time, and then... BANG.

August 17 2007 at 6:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

It is amazing how much is happening in a single scene. I find that I need to watch some of them several times just to catch all that is happening between the action and the reaction of the characters. I am so grateful to slow motion. The shooting scene was so fast it took several viewings just to see what actually happened.

August 16 2007 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

I missed the last episode "Blindsided" -- anyone know when it will repeat?

thanks,
ann

August 15 2007 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skippy

Re: Emily

I took the door with the bubbly glass to be the door of the master bath, not the shower door. Upon review of the scene, you can see the glass from Fritz's view when he pulls back the curtain, meaning that the shower has a glass wall. Kinda weird, but not a continuity issue.

Lets not forget that Brenda and Fritzie's home was owned by a whore. I'm guessing that if not a bordello of sorts, the home was certainly a destination for the john. Afterall-- that bedroom light fixture and paint scheme lead credence to the theory. I think a delightful glass wall would certainly be something an in-call prostitute might have installed. Yay for hookers!

August 15 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily.

@BC

As for figuring out the real target, there's several things that pointed in that direction. Police officers are often targets, they were all riding in a police car, gang activity had been mentioned (by the reporter, but it was enough to plant the idea into the investigation), and the squad knew and cared about their own more than strangers (a common psychological concept that fuels assumptions). All of those factors contributed to the team pursuing the idea of Brenda as the target before really considering the possibility of the reporter being targeted. Still, we as viewers could figure this out more easily than other puzzles in this episode. I believe the team's mistake is plausible for these reasons, but not as satisfying as if they had figured things out a little sooner. It have been cool if one of the other team members put things together a little sooner, just to show that Brenda is rubbing off on them.

@ various others
I don't think the SWAT guy was dumb, he just wasn't an investigative officer. I but he could go into a dangerous situation with a violent suspect like none other, and strategy and "battle readiness" is not for the dumb. I'm actually kind of glad the show acknowledges that police officers aren't jacks-of-all-trades -- letting different characters have their own expertise and weaknesses makes them much more realistic.

August 14 2007 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Well, I had a couple of problems with the episode. Major: it was obvious from the evidence that the target of the shooting was the reporter, but it took half a dozen of LAPD's best detectives 20 min of episode time to figure that out? Didn't even consider that an investigative reporter might have enemies? Just as in the episode where Brenda leaves interrogation so Gabriel can beat up the suspect, the writers have smart people doing uncharacteristically stupid things in the service of the plot.

Minor: the famous shower scene. From viewers' POV, Brenda is behind a glass shower door. From Brenda's POV, Fritz appeared to be pulling back a shower curtain. Does the shower have both, or is this a continuity error?

August 14 2007 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

Wow -- excellent episode.

I watched both broadcasts last night and watched the tape again this morning.

The Closer has become my top "must watch" series. The ensemble cast is perfect, the serie's story arcs are superb, and the attention to detail is top notch.

Morjana