April 19, 2014

Weeds: Doing the Backstroke (season premiere)

by Julia Ward, posted Aug 14th 2007 12:25AM
Showtime WEEDS
(S03E01)
Oh, Weeds, how I've missed you. I've missed your soft-hearted thugs and manchild stoners. I've missed your misguided children and far more misguided parents. Tonight's episode was pitch-perfect, and while we still don't know whether Peter is dead and whether Nancy will live, we know that the world will keep turning with or without the MILF-weed in it.

So, pot smokers out there, can you dry out waterlogged weed without diminishing its quality? Hell, I know the answer to that question. I went to college. Nancy's f@cked, but she's not alone. Silas, Shane, Andy and Conrad aren't exactly in a world of good either.

This show is all about the face - Mary Louise Parker's face to be exact. The close-ups of her little ticks and stares fill me with worry and dread. She's always completely frayed - like she never quite came back together again after Jonah died. Now, things are going from bad to worse. Good thing we have Doug and Dean to lighten the mood. There, ummm..., "size war" was hilarious. I'm usually not a fan of stoner comedy, but these guys do it so well. Kevin Nealon in the role he was born to play.

Zooey Deschanel's never been better either. "Heart hug." Deserting poor, level-headed Shane. Fortunately, crazy uncle Andy is on the case. I'm sure that will turn out well.

Silas doesn't seem to understand the gravity of the situation he's put Nancy in nor the fact that lives are at stake. Then again, what's a life worth on Weeds these days? At least poor Peter got a moment of silence when Nancy zoned out in the police station, but that's not enough for me. Shouldn't there be consequences for our characters when their actions result in someone's death? Maybe there will be. I just want Martin Donovan back on TV.

Next to Mary Louise Parker's face, the best part of tonight's episode - the final shot. Celia, reclining in her full bitchy splendor, with a pool full of pot. Perfect music. Perfect image. And, the perfect hypocrisy as Celia swilled from her flask. Elizabeth Perkins gets my own made-up TV Squad award for Best Bitch.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Weeds' transformation from quiet, hysterical show about grief and suburbia to cliffhanger-y "Nancy in jeopardy" show. At least, it's still hysterical.

My favorite exchange of the night:

DOUG: Dana won't f@ck anyone. Something about a short cervix and how she might be a lesbian.

DEAN: You have four kids?

DOUG: Whose names could be "tequila shot", "snuck it in while she was sleeping", "doing it for a Lexus" and
"turkey baster".

Is Peter alive?
Yes100 (31.2%)
No221 (68.8%)

Podunkmofo

You know, for those of you who are having a problem with a "sit-com" having a dark underbelly of fear and criticism...I ask if maybe a little discomfort wouldn't do a lot of us some good.....i feel a sense of comfort in the fact that something as 'trivial' as a television show, at least has taken a little risk to both entertaining our over indulgent escapism, and can also remind us that there is a lot of insanity in the world. Allowing a select few to dictate the comfort, lives and well being of everyone else, just to keep those mighty dollars/power/control freaks who own 90% of Americas cashflow, is just plain stupid.
Perhaps we do look to TV as a manner in which to distract ourselves from the negative and overwhelming realities of our day to day lives...but perhaps if war, poverty, and fear are so what we are hiding from, we need to be reminded that we as a world have condoned these atrocities by pretending they aren't real.
So turn up your Ipod a little louder and feast on chemical sandwich, zone out, get baked, but whatever you do...be sure to get uncomfortable when your fantasy world starts looking/sounding/tasting like the reason why you closed your eyes in the first place.
Maybe the "burning BUSH" means the president should smoke a bowl instead of making sure his career goes up in flames.
-(stepping down from crate of IVORY soap...)- :)

-May the Bridges You burn, light the Way...

October 07 2007 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Austin

This show does not push left wing views....it simply crashes through the lies and disinformation about every subject in American culture. Remember Shane talking about councilwomen hodes turning agrestic into a "police state"?? prisonplanet.com or infowars.com
And just look at what the movie is based around, MJ!! The single biggest joke in domestic policy known to existance....It shows how prohibition makes things WAYYYY more complicated than the use itself....This is just simply a truth revealing show, not a "left-wing philosiphy pusher"!

August 29 2007 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Murphy

25 and up I mean...just stop spoiling...

August 24 2007 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Murphy

Will you guys STOP referring to future episodes (episodes 24 and up) and ruining them for the rest of us? And why don't you stop downloading illegally and wait for the new episode, like the rest of the human population? I'm tired of people ruining episodes where there should NOT be a damn spoiler!!!!

August 24 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas Peacock

I'm with Jordan. I got online tonight just to find out about the band and song playing through the closing credits of episode 24. Sounds like Joey Santiago on guitar to me. Who is it? It needs to be in my iPod NOW...

August 22 2007 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

Does anyone know the name of the band that was doing the song at the end of tonights episode, rolling into the credits. Showtime hasn't updated their website with the music from Season 3 yet.

August 20 2007 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

There is are too mindless right wing talk on Iraq for this blog to have any real people. Irag was wrong. Weeds is good. No amount of propaganda from republic Rove plants changes that. Now stop laying in on on Irag stuff and focus of the show.

August 20 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The River Rat

My ex watches "Weed" and I have seen it at her house a couple of times. I find it to be a microcausm of what is wrong with America today. People that once were hard-working , productive citizens are willing to sell their morals and values and stoop to the level of the lowest trash among us, put their family and friends lives in peril because they no longer want to do an honest days work. I find the show discusting.

August 16 2007 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

I thought the episode was great! Celia is thoroughly insane, the Botwin boys are each in their own heap of trouble and Doug and Dean get whacked out raiding the medicine cabinet, what more could you ask for?

How about Nancy explaining her relationship status with Conrad to Marvin while the Armenian impatiently waives a gun in their faces in the parking lot of the Agrestic Polic Station.

And like Haggis, one of my favorite exchanges was when Marvin explained to Nancy why the Armenian ran off and how he says that if they don't get the grass back he has to shoot her in the head. HE says someting to the effect of: "Now we have to really focus on finding it, cause you got a really nice head."

August 15 2007 at 6:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily.

@ OClvl3
Well put. That's how I take those comments too, actually. One must always look at the source. Andy is a dumbass, and all his statements reflect his immaturity. The plot point I assume many will construe as hugely anti-war *FOLLOWING PHRASE NOT FOR THE SPOILERPHOBIC* (the drone thing in bootcamp) *END SPOILERISH PART* was lame. Really lame. The episodes following that incident had better find a way to make it not lame or make it go away quickly. If I wanted government conspiracies I'd pull out my X-Files DVDs.

Honestly, though, one could take a lot of the character comments as anti-authority rather than anti-Bush specifically. I'm not going to dig out examples at the moment, but much of what's said can be taken several ways.

Also, many political points made about the war in Iraq are understandable positions. It doesn't take much imagination to see how the war in Iraq benefits certain groups with an interest in Iraq's oil, just as it doesn't take much imagination to see how Sadam-led Iraq scared the crap out of a number of world leaders. It's not a black and white problem, therefore it can be seen from a variety of viewpoints which are all valid in different ways.

Main point: I respect objections to the manner in which political points are made (i.e. if said points detract from the storytelling), but I don't feel sympathetic towards those who object to political commentary in the show altogether.

August 15 2007 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply