September 17, 2014

Here's what David Milch is doing next

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 15th 2007 4:02PM

David Milch

OK, it seems to be "David Milch Day" here at TV Squad, with petitions and spoofs and all that. Now comes word about the new show that Milch is doing with HBO (they certainly aren't wasting any time, eh?).

The new Milch show isn't Deadwood (sorry fans), it's a cop show, centering on a Vietnam veteran who returns to the United States and joins the New York City police force in the 1970s. This is actually a show that Milch and HBO have been working on even before Deadwood or John From Cincinnati, but now they have the time to work on it.

No word yet on whether this cop will levitate or not, but considering it's Milch and gritty 70's cops and HBO, expect a lot of swearing.

Hollywood Ron

Arli$$ got more seasons than Deadwood. For shame, HBO. If you didn't have Ricky Hatton's boxing rights, I would've canceled you a long time ago.

October 01 2007 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dav

JFC sucked! I love Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, Six Feet Under and just about everything HBO has done (check out Showtime for some great programming as well these days) but I watched every last episode of JFC and nothing interesting ever happened. Unlike the other HBO shows I mentioned, the acting in JFC approached the attrocious at times. The boy was horrible. Rebecca DeMornay was trying waaaay too hard to be pissed at everything; it didn't even seem natural! I can see why it's gone. However, ending Deadwood after only 3 seasons? And Rome after 2? Rome needed another season because the second one was so hurried, it was poorly done. They covered too much history because they knew they were canceled. And Deadwood easily had more seasons in it. The gold standard should be 6 seasons like Sopranos or Six Feet Under, unless there's a real reason to cut it off (like it sucked like JFC.)

September 21 2007 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacGhil

The HBO suits need to take some Ritalin and bring JFC back for another season.

It's ahead if its time.

The brains of the masses just need a little time to catch up and catch on. And they were, until HBO killed it the day after the finale. (That HAD to leave a mark.)

I will watch anything Milch does, but I'm scared to get too attached to anything HBO puts out anymore.

Bob? That petition is not the one everyone is signing. This is . . .

August 28 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chefbulla

I can't even imagine the production costs of doing a 70's period piece cop show in NYC. Trying to find those old crappy cars alone will cost millions. Besides, the 70's sucked! Who wants to revisit them? I would hate to be living in New York when this show starts shooting.

This is another flop in the works. We don't need more Cop shows. Is that all that the masses will watch? I am so disappointed in the decision to give up on JFC.

August 17 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Machine

>When did TV stop being entertainment and become something for everyone to criticize?

The 1940s? Television has been criticized from day one as being harmful, as being an excellent delivery vehicle for propaganda, for disconnecting people from their communities... and for the quality of the shows in general.

August 16 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Some of you are harsh and reactionary. When did TV stop being entertainment and become something for everyone to criticize? So you don't like Milch or his recent shows--then DON'T WATCH. Wow, what a novel idea!

August 16 2007 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whawha

Sampe dialogue:

Rookie cop: Freeze!

Robber: I cannot, cannot, brook your tone! When I came upon this bounty, I thought, finally, free men could find a place in this world. Free men unschackled by authority and the need...

Rookie cop: I said freeze, muthaf@cka!

Robber: Now, don't provoke my ire! Or I will smite you with all the power I possess...

(a hooker passes by)

Hooker: Don't tempt him, peace officer...

And so on and so on, until the audience can't tell if they're watching a Victorian drama or not....

August 16 2007 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

I am SO done with Milch, and I'm about five minutes from canceling HBO.

August 15 2007 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I bet you the show will be great, and HBO will cancel it after two years because it is just too expensive to produce. HBO can wallow in mediocrity. I have canceled my subscription and after Entourage and Big Love are done I'm done with HBO shows. (And I will be renting and burning the DVDs for about 600% less than the cost of buying an HBO DVD)

August 15 2007 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Inane comment by David regarding Deadwood actors. Should Scorsese only have worked with DeNiro once? I'm not comparing Dayton Callie or Garrett Dillahunt to DeNiro, I'm just saying ... why not? Orson Welles also used actors in more than one film. Were you hoping for Tom Selleck or the cast from Law and Order: Whatever?

Most people I know who watched Deadwood and JFC loved seeing Deadwood actors again. If Milch likes them, what's the problem?

August 15 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply