October 31, 2014

This week's petition: Save John from Cincinnati

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 15th 2007 10:20AM

An Internet petition has already been generated to save John From CininnatiAnd now, the other side of the debate.

As we previously mentioned, HBO decided not to renew the surf-noir drama John from Cincinnati on Monday, which happened to be the day after the series finale aired. On Tuesday, the day after it was canceled, an Internet petition was created to save the show. The description of the petition doesn't say much, other than HBO should stop being a s*it heel by giving viewers innovative television that they take away to soon. Oh, it also says that the premium-cable network should stop being stupid and finish Deadwood. All their words, folks, not mine.

At the time I write this there are 110 signatures. If you want to add your name to the list then click right here.

[Thanks to Eban for this information]

Liz G

We finally have a quirky show for the above avg mentality that is entertaining, albeit confusing to some, but undeniably enjoyable... and it's getting cancelled! After only ONE season! Give us a break, please. Sopranos will be extremely hard to replace, so don't try. Just let us enjoy what is offered for longer than ONE season! I have talked about this "great" show to several friends & family around the country & they all watch it! And hbo is saying they don’t have enough viewers? I don’t believe it! DON'T CANCEL JOHN FROM CINCINNATI

August 28 2007 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keli

Dexter is EXCELLENT, Jake. You should rent season 1 right away!

As for HBO, I love Flight of the Conchords and Big Love, but that's about it. Do they even still play movies?

August 16 2007 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I have to agree that FX and Showtime are now ahead of HBO. Damages, The Shield, Rescue Me, Nip Tuck are all outrageous and edgy shows that push the limits of TV. Weeds is the best comedy on Cable, and I have heard Dexter is good too. I like Entourage, although the show hasn't really gone anywhere this season. I also like Big Love, but it doesn't hold up to the shows on FX.

August 15 2007 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Sorry, but I'm keeping my powder dry in case there's Flight of the Conchords petition. I fear it's on the bubble!

August 15 2007 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

How about a petition to bring some GOOD edgy HIGH-QUALITY fare back to HBO? You know, the kind of watercooler shows that HBO initially became famous for.

Nowadays, Showtime and fX have stole HBO's thunder and I don't see much to keep me watching on that hallowed Sunday night timeslot, with the exception of Entourage (which only has 3 episodes left and is beginning to wane) and CYE, which is probably in its final season.

August 15 2007 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chongi

If you want to sign a Save John petition, sign this one: http://www.petitiononline.com/savejfc/petition.html

August 15 2007 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaz

I caught every episode hoping to finally make some sense of it but nada! Where were they going with all the bizarre characters? Why didn't they bring Abe Lincoln on too ? Like writer #1 said....." where is the petition to keep it canceled?".

August 15 2007 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Well, now that the Deadwood cast is not obligated to JOC maybe HBO can FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED with Deadwood. That's all.

August 15 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Machine

With support like this, I'm sure the show will be back to annoy and irritate HBO subscribers in no time at all...

I think the best way to watch dramatic series on HBO is on DVD... from Netflix.

August 15 2007 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply