November 29, 2014

More late night headaches: Craig Ferguson might leave too

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 16th 2007 3:38PM

Craig FergusonJust when we started to get into this whole "who will replace Conan O'Brien" guessing game, we might have to find a host for another late night show: Craig Ferguson hints he might leave at the end of his contract.

Ferguson reveals to the St. Petersburg Times that he could leave at the end of his six year contract because he doesn't like being famous.

"I just don't know if I like being that visible," he said. "I don't know if I would want to ramp that up any more, you know. And people here find that, I think, quite difficult to (understand)."

So now will come the endless speculation of who will take over for Ferguson if he were to leave. Could Jon Stewart get the slot? He's in tight with Letterman's Worldwide Pants and almost got the gig before. How about Leno coming over to CBS in 2009 (yeah, right, I'm sure Letterman would give him the corner office)? Maybe Carson Daly would want the job after NBC gives Conan's slot to someone else and not him (hey, 12:35 is better than 1:35). Eh, I doubt CBS thinks Daly is the future of late night TV.

Maybe Craig Kilborn could come back. CBS needs more Yambo.

In any case, the article about Ferguson is interesting even beyond the late night speculation (which Ferguson himself talks about a bit). He chats about how he goes about doing his monologue, how he got his first break, and about getting his citizenship.

Richard Hart

It seemingly would make more sense for Conan to replace Letterman since they have a similar appeal. Having Letterman do "specials" for CBS would be wonderful. I believe Leno gets some benefit simply from being on NBC and replacing King Carson. Ellen D. following Conan would be an interesting idea.

October 30 2007 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

The show is a lot of fun to watch. I understand though that it is difficult to be famous and would not want that for myself.

August 28 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tabatha

I hope Craig Ferguson does not leave.He is the best talk show host ever!I always watch him every night, never miss a show.If Craig leaves there will be a lot of people very very sad.We will always miss him if he leaves.CBS will lose the funniest person that has ever been there! But if leaving would make Craig happy, that is all that matters.

August 26 2007 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Agenda

Love him!.....funny, cute and sexy to boot! Love that monologue and the way he gets tickled at his own self. It is so off the cuff. Just hate that it's on so late because I can't disciplie myself to be organized enought to tape it and I can't resist staying awake to watch it when I shoud be going to bed to sleep so I can get up for work early!
The Prince Charles thing is awesome....and I love his look and persona...hope he does nothing but move on up to a prime time show, like taking Letterman's place a some point! ....and the Alfalfa look was cute on Friday night, 24th of August, he must have just gotten a haircut.

August 25 2007 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Bisel

Thinking of Craig Ferguson leaving is very upsetting. He is the best talk show host. I look forward to his show each day. We all need some laughter in our lives. He is so talented. CBS would lose a great entertainer if Craig leaves. He has alot of fans out there. Nancy

August 24 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I hope Craig never leaves us. Mr. Letterman, if you read this please make him stay. My kids and I adore him, he is funny, very intelligent, sincere, touching, and he asks his guest questions I would like to ask. He doesnt have a list of questions to ask his guests and so you never know where the conversation will lead. I just wish his show was earlier and twice as long. I also hate the commercial break in the middle of his monologue. I find it unneccessary and rude. He is the best thing to come onto late night since Johnny Carson. I also like that he doesnt have the same boring celebrities that are on all the shows. You never know what to expect with him and that is what makes his show unique. I hope it never ends.

August 22 2007 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yf

I never thought I would go out and buy a recording device because I wanted to record one show. And it's a talk show at that. But i did. And so I never miss his shows. At the end of the day I just want to laugh and through his silliness, goofiness, and sometimes thoughtful monologues, he accomplishes that. These recordings i will keep so in case he does leave, I will replay and remember the good old days.

August 17 2007 at 6:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

craig is so good. very real, not a phony - and a really, really good writer to boot. his first novel is shockingly good, and perhaps he prefers writing to performing. being in hollywood and dealing with addiction is NOT the easiest thing to do, and maybe he wants to get out of there for his own personal well being.

August 17 2007 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Dear David Letterman:

Pay Craig Ferguson more money. He's worth every penny.

Sincerely

Walt in Houston

P.S.: Craig did not make me write this
(Yes he did)
(No, he didn't)
(knowing nod)

August 16 2007 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

When Kilborn left I felt like a part of me had died, but Ferguson has been just about the best replacement possible under the circumstances.

August 16 2007 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply