October 25, 2014

So You Think You Can Dance: Season Finale

by Brett Love, posted Aug 17th 2007 4:03AM
So You Think You Can Dance - The Final Four
(S03E23) Season three went out with a bang. Cat said in the opening that the show was a full two hours, with no padding. She wasn't kidding. If we count the two musical guests, and the goofy animated Cat/Nigel dance number, there were 18 performances. 18!

There were a few video montages looking back over the season, but with the exception of the one that featured Sex (we really didn't need to revisit that), all of them were pretty well done, and kept the show moving right along. There was just very little not to like about this show. Ok, there were a couple things, but we'll get to them, as well as the big winner, after the jump.

Right off the bat, what the hell was Cat wearing? I hesitate to even call it a dress for fear that some dressmakers union will come after me for insulting what it is they do. It reminded me of the little scrubber ball you use to wash your pans. Terrible.

I also wasn't really impressed with Nicole's musical number. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but I would have happily traded those few minutes to have some extra time at the end of the show. Because... the one place that I thought they really missed was the fallout of the big announcement. The lead-up to it was very good, and I really had no idea which way it would go. Then all of a sudden, here's your winner, roll credits, time for the local news. An announcement right before the last commercial break, coming back to get reactions of the winner and the other dancers, would have been really fun.

Sabra Johnson And that winner is, Sabra. The TV Squad poll was right on with it coming down to Sabra and Danny. As I said yesterday, you really can build a pretty convincing case for any of these dancers, but I was happy to see Sabra win. Over the course of the season, she won me over with her dancing, and the way she came out of her shell. All of the other dancers were very gracious in their defeat. They all came out of it looking very good.

The rest of the show was outstanding. I didn't exactly buy that all of those dances were the ones that those choreographers would have picked. I get the feeling there might have been a producer in their ear telling them the dance that they would like to see again. Either way, they did come up with a very good list of performances to showcase.

I also really liked the idea of giving Brian Gainer and Brendan Norris the spotlight to perform on the big stage. Was I the only one that spent the rest of the show waiting for them to call out Phillip Chbeeb though? That would have been the topper.

So there we have it. Another season in the books and I would call it a smashing success. The show has already been picked up for next summer, and with good reason. It's great TV. Before I sign off of this last So You Think You Can Dance post, I want to thank Ted over at BloggingSYTYCD for the kind words, linking to all of my posts, and for putting together a great site. If you haven't seen it yet, make sure you stop by. They'll be following along with all of the dancers and the tour. It's good stuff. See you all in a few weeks for the new season of Dancing With The Stars.

That's a wrap. How would you rate season three?
Season three was the best. The best, Jerry!677 (67.4%)
Good summer TV.254 (25.3%)
Eh, it was just ok.44 (4.4%)
Terrible.29 (2.9%)

Georgia

For Cat to have worn some really cute dresses over the summer, she sure had an ugly whatever for the end.

What was the point of the Nigel/Cat dance? Other than to promote jibjab.

I, too, thought the favs by the judges were contrived.

I did not see the point in showing auditions of wierdos again. I did like seeing the two perform that did not make it to the show.

I did NOT like the show ending the moment Sabra won. I would have liked at least another 2 or 3 minutes left just to watch her be congratulated or something. Sabra won - bam - the local news was on.

When a dancer makes it to the big time, does anyone have an idea what they earn? Like, how long will be before Danny makes up the 250,000 he lost....

August 17 2007 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I have to put in my two-cents by mentioning that I too would have loved to see Mia's routine for Lacey and Kam. It is still, weeks later, my favorite routine from this season.

Hopefully we'll see it on the tour!

August 17 2007 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jez

I wanted Neil to win. But Sabra's my second choice, so it's alright.

August 17 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

Thank you Chas!!!! I totally agree although I think the top four are all great dancers it says something that Sara danced like 4 times on the show proving she deserved a place in the top 4.

I loved seeing her and Jesus' vagabond dance again - My favorite from that show!!!!!

August 17 2007 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I think Sabra is a good dancer but I got tired of the judges constantly telling us how good she was and pushing her on us. I understand the whole 4 years of training and how she demands attention when on stage... yadda yadda yadda. The more you tell me I should vote for someone, the less I want to do it.

I thought Danny was an amazing dancer. He had such a strong classical background and everything was effortless. His personality turned out to be a shy and kind of dorky but that made me like him even more in the end.

Neil was just adorable. I liked watching him mature on the stage. He became more controlled in his movements and started showing such a nice flow when he danced.

Lacey was amazing at how versatile she was. Her partner background really helped. I enjoyed her more than I thought I would and got to the point where I looked forward to her performances each week.

Who should have won? I have no idea because I thought all 4 were talented. My favorite from the season.... Lauren. I still adore her more than any of the other contestants and wanted to see more of her routines with Neil. They had some of the best this season. Also I would have liked to see Lacey and Kameron's Mia Michael's routine too. :(

Overall a good show and I'm glad we got to see alot of routines again. You know they were just picking routines that they are going to showcase on the tour vs being their favorites. It's all about selling tickets!!!!

August 17 2007 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

I liked season 2 a lot better than this one; last year I adored 3 out of the top 4, but this year I hated them all except Neil, and I couldn't STAND Sabra winning. I felt no more sense of emotion from her dancing than from Danny's, but at least Danny's technique was jaw-dropping. Sabra did nothing for me at all.

August 17 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Lacey had no chance of winning because she was stuck up. She had no nice personality, just "My brother won, so will I".

I was hoping for Danny to win, oh well.

I hate how they had a two hour show and just went "Sabra you win!" and let the credits roll.

August 17 2007 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

I'm glad Sabra won, and best of all the producers managed to bring the show in ON TIME! See, Fox and Idol producers, a LIVE event CAN be coordinated and not run over the allotted time if you have a competent team behind the scenes!

August 17 2007 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stummies

I think that Sabra is overrated. I would have rather seen any of the other three win. But oh well.

I was also disappointed that there was no Mia Michaels Lacey/Kameron routine last night. I think Kameron was the only one in the top 10 that we didn't see any dances from.

I was glad, however, to see three dances from Sara. I loved all of those three dances the first time around, so it was nice to see them again.

August 17 2007 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I thought the whole season was fantastic. American Idol can't even compare to this show, in my opinion. I think they should really update their elimination process to be more like SYTYCD's. Overall, WAY more talent on SYTYCD as well, congrats to everyone !!!!

August 17 2007 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply