October 24, 2014

Kid Nation mom files child abuse complaint

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 18th 2007 12:20PM

Kid NationThe show hasn't even debuted yet, but there's already controversy (though we thought one might be coming).

A parent of one of the kids on the new CBS Survivor/Lord of the Flies reality show Kid Nation has filed a complaint with New Mexico officials saying that the kids on the show were neglected. She says that one girl had her face burned by hot grease (she was cooking) and that other kids needed medical help after accidentally drinking bleach.

Most of the kids and parents have said great things about the show since filming ended, but a couple of parents and kids are saying they wouldn't do it again and it was a lot of work.

In case you haven't heard, Kid Nation is about 40 kids who are left alone in a deserted New Mexico town (actually old movie sets) to see if they can join together and create a society from scratch. It premieres September 19 at 8pm.

Cathy

I think it's an excellent show, and no worse than any other stupid reality show out there. Kudos to the kids who make it through all that. Some adults wouldn't even survive. In a world of racism and bullying, it's nice to see tem working as a team.

September 21 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

sorry to disagree with you brain but we just care about the about keeping these kids safe.And their already have been children hurt on the show

September 21 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

If parents would take the time to make their kids do chores and help out around the house we won't be saying well kids need a show like this.And honestly if one of these kids died what would say to the parent o sorry about your kid but you did sign a paper that said they could but enjoyed watching them on t.v. What are you going to say to the mom of the kid who got burned in the face?Well atleast your kid got 15 minutes of fame. If something dose happen to one of these kids America would be the one to blaim.It is just another reason for us to say some else should be teaching our kids instead of their mom and dad who took the job in the frist place.If these kids are smarter then others then how did they mix bleach instead of soda.Why would they make such a mistake if they were tested? It dosn't make sense to me. And what happens if one of the older kids choices to beat up one of the youngers ones?Kids are not adult and they shouldn't have to be.And it is wonderful that the women on here said her 10 never had accient but not all kids are can say the same.I know adults who have caught fire to kitchen by accient who have been cooking for years.Kids brains aren't like adults and they don't think when doing things.If walk away for one sec. or turn around or start being sillly as kids often do thats all it would take to start a fire.And if the camera man is really watching these kids they would they have notice them mixing bleach and stopped them before they evan drank it or mixed it.These kids aren't be watched they are being used for t.v. ratings and thats sick.

September 21 2007 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Those of you that think there is any cruelty to kids on the show (Which I watched with my 11 and 9 year old last night) are the same group of people leading the pussification of Americans in general.

September 20 2007 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

My children (10, 13, and 13) and I were so excited about the premier of Kid Nation. We saw nothing cruel or controversial about it. We were rooting for every kid on the show. As a matter of fact, we had to go on-line immediately to print applications. My kids work around my house and are jumping at the opportunity to work for themselves and understand what it really takes to make it. I think this is a great opportunity for children to learn to really work together no matter what differences in education, age, social status, race, or background. My 10 year old cooks an after school snack for herself almost everyday. She's never had an accident while doing so. She started learning to cook when she was about 7. All 3 of my children know how and actually do laundry. If parents were teaching their kids more at home, they wouldn't have such a problem with some of the tasks the kids are required to perform in order to make the town work.

September 20 2007 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smbailey

What are these parents thinking sending their kids off with 39 other strangers for who knows what? If you ask me, the neglect is on the part of the parents who may be throwing their kids into a den of vipers for all they know. This show sounds like trouble from the get-go to me. Why would you want your children to become part of the media-driven Hollywood culture? 15 minutes of fame (or however much money they were paid) just isn't worth the health and welfare of a child. The last people I would trust to supervise my children would be producers and directors, no? Sounds like child exploitation and sensationalism at its best.

September 20 2007 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Lets see now....it just wouldn't be America if SOMEONE didn't sue someone regarding an issue on the show. As a parent, I am sure there were a pile of forms and contracts to be signed. If you as the parent were SO concerned about your child potentially being hurt, then you shouldn't have let your child go on the show.

September 20 2007 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lori

wont to know were to send appl, for kid nation. for next year.

September 20 2007 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

While showing kids doing hard work is a good thing, it is never a good thing to show kids that have no guidance. As we can see from the current media frenzy, what happens to kids with little or no guidance. As a mom, I know that it takes many years to raise children and as an adult they will make decisions that we hope will be the best. But to have a show that gives the appearance (because we know that there was much parental involvement because that would be illegal if not) it sends the wrong message that children are like or comparable to adults. The reality of it all is that all we see on television is make believe and that is what we as a society should try to teach our kids and focus on good values and morals

September 20 2007 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

I watched the show and I have to agree with the
fact that these kids could burn the place down.
That is dry desert and alot of dry land if that
caughtes on firer it will burn for days or maybe
weeks.It may not be that easy to put out and
the fact that it would take firer fighters hours
to get their in case of an emergency let alone
emergency services if a child was hurt.

I have one child and she is only 5 and dose her
share of the work she help dry the dishes and keeps
her room clean and helps me with the house work.I
love my daughter more then anything and if I couldn't
contract for her fourty days I couldn't take it.Let alone
these kids aren't going to school on set.

I have already heard stories of kids being burned and a
one kid that drank something she shouldn't have and
became ill.If these are so smart then why is happening.
It makes my stomack turn to think this what we turn to
for enjoyment on t.v.