November 23, 2014

Psych: Meat is Murder, But Murder is Also Murder

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 18th 2007 1:01PM

James Roday, Dule Hill, Jon Amos

(S0E06) Victim's Wife: I never broke two stars.

I realized something just as this week's episode of Psych was about to air. We were looking at a mini (and I mean mini) West Wing reunion with John Amos appearing as Gus' Uncle Burton. For those who don't remember, Amos had a recurring role on The West Wing as Admiral Percy Fitzwallace. His character met an untimely end during Wing's fifth season when his vehicle was caught in an IED explosion. I don't recall if Fitzwallace or Dule Hill's character, Charlie Young, ever spoke to each other while on Wing, but at least they were on the show together.

The past is past, so let's focus on the present. Overall, I found this week's episode very enjoyable. That was probably due to the fact that more of the focus was turned to Burton "Gus" Guster and the relationship with his uncle. As I mentioned before, I really enjoy James Roday in his role as Shawn Spencer, but I would like to see some of the other characters fleshed out as well. We got that this time around with our pal Gus and his turn at being a "psychic".

Gus as a "psychic" is different than Shawn as a "psychic". Where Shawn is into the showmanship of the fake powers that he has, Gus is a bit more subtle, more direct. Shawn is all for the crazy references (somewhere in this episode one of his psychic spells featured a mention of Shelia E.) while Gus gets right to the point. Or, as much as the point he can get to with proper guidance from Shawn.

This proves that, while he pimps it up for all to see, Shawn's real abilities are very unique and are hard to follow. Even though Gus has known and worked with Shawn for awhile now he still doesn't have prowess to be a "psychic". I don't think their relationship will be any different on the show, because that would throw off the comedy dynamic that they have, but it would be interesting to see if Gus has a bit more reverence for what Shawn does.

There was plenty to enjoy in this week's episode. Shawn's very detailed horoscopes come to mind. How they specifically targeted Lassiter, O'Hara, and Henry Spencer is beyond my imagination (by the way, does anyone know why Lassie's arm was in a sling). Then there was the montage of Shawn, Gus and Uncle Burton eating their way through various restaurants to find out who killed the critic. That actually made me hungry watching it all. Of course, the real teamwork between Gus and Shawn was nice to see as well.

Over to the mystery. I had thought that it was the restaurant critic's assistant who was the murderer. I mean, he worked for the man for years and was probably tired of receiving all of the complaints. I didn't realize it was the Editor's assistant until Uncle Burton was talking about the Hippo shirts that he bought. The best part of this week's mystery, though, had to be the reveal. It was Gus and Shawn, back and forth, telling everyone how and why the murder happened while physically abusing each other with the "magic hands". Gus got in a really nice kick to Shawn's knee that brought the "psychic" down. Quite funny.

Finally, the review of this week's retro references. Actually, most of them came from Uncle Burton, who seems to have seen every criminal drama on television. Shows referenced were Hill Street Blues, Diagnosis Murder (referenced as a person, not as a show), Ghost Whisperer (pluralized), Rockford Files, Matlock, and Murder, She Wrote. Also referenced, seen or heard this week were: Manimal, the song I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow, Fall Guy and star Lee Majors, Rubik's Cube, and Cabbage Patch dolls.

Next week, Shawn and Gus to back to school. See you then.

What criminal drama do you enjoy?
Hill Street Blues27 (14.7%)
Diagnosis Murder18 (9.8%)
Ghost Whisperer34 (18.5%)
Rockford Files34 (18.5%)
Manimal17 (9.2%)
Matlock19 (10.3%)
Murder, She Wrote35 (19.0%)

Eric

I had read somewhere that there is a pineapple reference somewhere in every episode. So for those keeping track, Gus says pineapple when he spouts his pyschic gibberish at the end of the episode during the reveal.

August 20 2007 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Love.John.Amos!

This was a great episode. Gus as the psych was a hoot!

August 20 2007 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matilda

I was delighted to see Admiral Sissy Mary (perhaps the finest interaction on the West Wing ever) alive and well. I've never forgiven the show for killing him off screen.

I hadn't made the connection between Interim Chief and the young Mrs. Landingham, despite the fact that I remember thinking what a fabulous job the actress had done in that role. No surprise!

August 19 2007 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

I reassigned Fitzwallace to the Navy and gave him the rank of Admiral. See how we soon forget these little things?

August 19 2007 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

This was hands down the funniest episode so far! The "Gus as a psychic" thing had me in hysterics for most of the show. The "Manimal" reference was priceless. The "mindlink/punching" scene at the end was outstanding. Shawn's astrology column sending direct messages to the show's characters was great. Even John Amos had me rolling when he was referring to Dick Van Dyke's character in "Diagnosis Murder" as Diagnosis Murder! This episode had it all!!! Bravo "Psych"... a grand slam episode!

August 18 2007 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Is it possible that Timothy Omundson actually hurt his arm and the writers are just dicking around with the viewers? If so, I hope there's still a punch line.

August 18 2007 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Another great episode. As predictable as it was, I loved the whole "Apple Jacks" bit with Shawn and Jules. The exchange at the end between Gus and Shawn was classic, too.

Next week should be fun. The preview looked funny, anyway, as I chuckled at Shawn's writing of "PHSYSICS" on the chalkboard.

August 18 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christina

I just wanted to say i love this site so much and i wanted to thank you for posting on all the great shows other sites miss like Psych.

August 18 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

Disappointed there wasn't at least a good times reference. And I don't think we got an answer beyone don't want to talk about it on the arm in the sling for Lassie

August 18 2007 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Not sure if they ever had real conversations with each other, but in the first episode we met Fitz, his conversation about Charlie was very memorable to me.

From the third episode of "The West Wing":

LEO
Yeah. [beat] Uh, hey Fitz?
FITZWALLACE
Yeah?
LEO
The President's personal aide, they're looking at a kid. Do you have any problem with a young black man waiting on the President?
FITZWALLACE
I'm an old black man and I wait on the President.
LEO
The kid's gotta carry his bags...
FITZWALLACE
You gonna pay him a decent wage?
LEO
Yeah.
FITZWALLACE
You gonna treat him with respect in the workplace?
LEO
Yeah.
FITZWALLACE
Then why the hell should I care?
LEO
That's what I thought.
FITZWALLACE
I've got some real honest to God battles to fight Leo. I don't have time for the cosmetic ones.
LEO
Thanks Admiral. Good luck.
FITZWALLACE