October 30, 2014

Here's the real story about Mandy Patinkin and Criminal Minds

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 20th 2007 3:23PM

Criminal MindsThere have been a lot of stories floating around about Mandy Patinkin's departure from CBS' Criminal Minds. That he's only going to be in one scene of the show to wrap up his storyline, that his costars didn't like him. Turns out neither of those stories are true.

Co-star A.J. Cook says that Patinkin has actually been phoning all of his Criminal Minds castmates and explaining to them what happened. Cook says that the cast didn't know what was going on, and now that they know they "just want him to be happy."

As for how much Patinkin will be in the show this season, executive producer Ed Bernero says (scroll down) that Patinkin actually worked for over 14 hours, not just one scene as had been reported. And he says it's not true that other cast members didn't want to work with him. It's just that the way they've set up the plot, the other actors weren't needed. He adds that it wasn't about money or time, that they wanted to give Patinkin those things. He just didn't show up for work.

The first episode of the season is going to be the episode from last season that was pulled because of the Virginia Tech shootings. The episode will be re-edited now, as a flashback, and we'll see scenes of Patinkin's character writing a note to a mysterious unknown person. Joe Mantegna's character will show up in the fifth episode of the season.

Deb

Actually, I remember reading that Patinkin was returning to Broadway. That's his primary forte, live on stage...He's been around a long time and I have been watching him for years. It's no big deal, he just created mystery because he left abruptly.

November 14 2007 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NickTN

I'll miss Mandy but I think Montanya is a mistake. He does not add anything to the show and now the rest of the team has smaller roles. The team was doing fine without him and Mandy. The supervisor that was after Hodge is another poor addition to the show. It seems CBS is out to destroy what was a good program.

November 11 2007 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gabrielle

Mandy P. co-starred many years ago on a tv show about a hospital and he played a surgeon. If I remember correctly he also left that show fairly abruptly. As now, I was disappointed then that he and his character left. I like his acting and presence.

November 08 2007 at 4:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clancy Donlin

I've got to agree with a few of the others who commented about this article. It cleared up absolutely nothing. I had to read it several times to get anything coherent out of it. Would somebody who is concise and clear rewrite this? I'm totally in the dark as to why the guy left. Just spit it out!

November 08 2007 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jasindra

I was really disappointed with the role that Joe is playing. I think that it added nothing to the show and it has dropped from one of my must see shows to I might watch it if I have nothing better to do. Too bad they had to ruin a good show by adding such a disagreeable character to the cast. The show is about the cases, not about throwing in some guy who's only motivation is for himself and solving an old case. How absurd!

November 05 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suebryant1313

I read this summer that Mandy was going to Israel to do a bike ride with one of his sons for peace. I have been there and it changes you and make you focus on other things that are hard to talk about and maybe that is what happened to him. To film the show, he has to be away from his family and friends and I am sure that is very hard for him. I miss him in the show so much and I wish that they would guest star him, if only by a phone call to Reid. I really wish they would talk about his leaving on the show and dealing with it. How are we going to move on from this if they don’t deal better with it. We should have rights. We invest into these show characters and they have a responsibility to us in the way they treat them.

November 05 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

I really miss Gideon. I just kept thinking he'd come back but I also missed the Elle character and I've always wondered what happened to her. As time went on, I forgot all about her so I expect I will forget about Gideon and the new guy will grow on me. Right now, I do not like the Montagna character whatsoever. Gideon was calm, cool, collected, wise, etc. This other guy comes in as an annoying, arrogant jerk. He keeps looking at some bracelet in his pocket - whoop-de-do - that's really peaking my curiosity - NOT! Oh yeah, and he takes notes - how fascinating. I can't wait to watch him take more notes next week. I mean c'mon, is that the best the writers could come up with? It's pitiful. The other characters are awesome, what's up with the new guy? Do the writers have it out for the big bracelet carrying, note writer?

November 05 2007 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

This has always been my favorite show, because of Mandy. There was something about his dynamic charisma, his voice, his intellect, his persona that you couldn't get enough of. The other characters were, in my estimation, irrevelent but needed as an extention his character. I know he is a fantastic singer, actor, performer, but what he did for this show was invaluble. The last few episodes he was in, annoyed me because he was in the background more than as the star. I thought that was odd. You would need a strong lead man, such as the black man on the Unit, Dennis Haysbert. Joe Montenga does not have the dynamic prense for this roll. After his first show, I am not looking forward to the next. The other characters are ok but if feels like their father died, and a step father is trying to take over. As experienced as Mandy is, you would think the show's execs would have at least tried his creative thoughts, as the other blogger said, all these shows are so alike.

November 01 2007 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dianne

I liked Mandy thought he was a great actor--but Joe is a really great addition..I love the show!!!!!!!

November 01 2007 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDI

I THOUGHT THE SHOW WAS GREAT,
THEY WILL BE JUST FINE
THEY ALL GOT ALONG TOO WELL BEFORE EVERYONE KNOWS THATS REAL!!
I THINK THE TENSION WILL BE GOOD WATCHING