April 23, 2014

The Closer: Culture Shock

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 21st 2007 6:31AM
the closer(S03E10) You know what I like about this show? I like that, when each episode opens, the crime has already happened. With CSI and Law & Order, the crime usually happens at the opening of the episode. But we get absolutely no context from The Closer, but I enjoy that.

Okay, so this wasn't my favorite episode this season. In fact, I'd say it was my least favorite. It didn't suck--not by any means--but I just didn't find it all that intriguing. I think the case just was too simple. Even though Brenda and the detectives interviewed a handful of people, it didn't really seem to take any twists or turns. And, the presence of Brenda's parents derailed the case for me (as it did for her).

There were a few scenes that I really enjoyed, though. For instance, the scene at the dinner table where Brenda's father starts to make a toast that is so offensive to her. He's essentially trying to encourage Fritz to stay with the engagement even though his daughter is more like a used car because of her Early Onset Menopause. He basically said that sometimes you just have to settle--and he meant settle for his damaged daughter! How insulting!

Of course, the best scene came at the very end in the doctor's office where we learn that Brenda is not suffering from Early Onset Menopause, just some polyps on her uterus. How can she reverse it? Oh... stop eating sweets. I loved how her reaction to that news was more horrified than when she learned about the possible menopause or when she learned she didn't have cancer. So, we'll be back to watching Brenda try to avoid sweets. And now the pressure is on for her and Fritz to hurry up and marry so they can have a baby. But... I'm not so sure that she wants kids.

Should Brenda & Fritz have a baby?
No, it would ruin the show95 (40.9%)
No, Brenda is not cut out for motherhood58 (25.0%)
Yes, Brenda would be hilarious as a mother67 (28.9%)
Yes, Brenda's character needs a new direction12 (5.2%)

Diane

I have only seen two seasons of The Closer, love it but can't seem to find it on any of my t.v. channels.

I am from Alberta, Canada. Is this show playing fall of 2007?

October 10 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amber

i got hooked on this show after watching a memorial day (or some other holiday) marathon - weekend long episodes of The Closer and wow... talk about serious addiction. *shakes head* Thank Goddess for my DVR or i'd be lost w/o my weekly 'dose of Kyra' - i've always been a fan of hers but this show was the clencher on my addiction. It's so nice to see someone "real" (her most recent bout with PCOS and her addiction to sweets/chocolate, etc) on tv even if it is in a role.

my biggest 'gripe' however is no matter how hard i look, i cannot find a bag like hers... i've been searching for what seems an eternity and can't even find out the maker of said bag.. i love those bags that seem large enough to provide shelter for a small family... The bigger the better and hers is PERFECT size! LOL

September 11 2007 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I thought Dad's toast was also an insult towards his wife and wondered why she didn't tell him off more than she did.

The episode was certainly a "meh. low drama", and one of the worst of the bunch. But in comparison to many other shows, that's still a high grade. It only suffers in comparison to its own best.

And the capper to Pope's tirade was fantastic. JK Simmons does such a great job at the drama and the comedy mixture.

August 25 2007 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amelia

Hi! I do not want to be rude, but Brenda is not just suffering from "just some polyps on her uterus". She has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, this is a serious condition with serious side effects. Some of these side effects include: Infertiliy, Irregular or no menstrual periods, Acne, weight gain, oily skin, dandruff, skin discolorations, high cholesterol levels, elevated blood pressure, and abnormal hair growth and distribution. I have this condition and it is serious to the thousands-if not millions- of women who have it. It makes life alot harder that one would imagine.
I just wanted to point this out, I do not want to be rude, I love reading your reviews and I love The Closer. PCOS is not something that many people know about so I am glad that the writers decided to raise some awareness.

August 23 2007 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I thought that Dad was saying that Brenda settled. I will have to re-watch (what a hardship)!

August 21 2007 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

It was a good episode. The crime itself wasnt anything special, but the interaction among the team and Brenda's parents was great.

Why was Brenda always so scared of her father in previous seasons? He seems like the nicest guy in the world.

August 21 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
towsleyj

Actually, Brenda suffers from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS. What it means is that the eggs that release from the ovaries don't detach from them and get stuck. They aren't painful. But they can have long reaching effects....

August 21 2007 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

My favorite part was after the dinner at the hotel when Brenda finished up her interview upstairs and they were finally ready to leave. She stated she had to go back by the office for "one more stop" and there was a short discussion between her and her mother in the hotel lobby. At the very end when they finally were ready to leave, the cameras made a quick cut to her dad sitting by a giant potted plant and Fritz just standing there doing nothing. Both appeared dazed and bored to tears as they waited. I busted out laughing hard, turned to my wife and said "I've felt exactly like that! That's me and your Daddy while you're out shopping with your Mom!" I had to rewind it and watch it again to savor the look on their faces and laughed even harder the second time.

The other part of this episode that was priceless was the next scene at the station when Pope chewed Brenda out. Without so much as a pause for breath when he finished he asked her if he just did what he thought he just did - chewed her out in front of her parents. They had the last laugh on everyone when they broke news of Brenda's engagement to everyone without her consent. I just loved the surprised look on everyone's faces and the embarrassment on Brenda's.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I feel a steamroller like storyline coming about her wedding. One thing that makes this show so great is how poorly Brenda handles things that are out of her control. It is such a stark contrast to see how intensely in control she is when she is in the interrogation room or at a crime scene and then how badly she falls apart in her personal life. She is an amazingly portrayed character and one cannot help but feel her hopelessness at times. She is authentic and real and I think that is what endears her to us all. This show is without a doubt the best show on television right now.

August 21 2007 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply