April 18, 2014

Eureka: Family Reunion

by Will O'Brien, posted Aug 22nd 2007 2:01PM
Fargo's grandfather is discovered in an old cryogenics chamber
(S02E07) From the preview, the opening was pretty much just what I expected. A cryogenic facility at GD is being torn down and someone is discovered frozen in one of the chambers - Fargo's grandfather.
I expected this one to be a bit funnier that it turned out to be. The main plot hinged on just how Pierre ended up frozen in the chamber. It just didn't have quite the comedy potential that I expected. Things really didn't have much urgency until Pierre comes out of the bathroom looking 50 years older.

Stark and Henry seem to be closing their rift a bit. Stark asks Henry about his statement about knowing that Kim's accident wasn't Starks fault. Henry's response was a bit odd. He tells Stark that Kim's computers were sabotaged, but nothing about who did it. I'm not even certain that the computer was sabotaged - I thought that the thing was just a bug, but we've never really gotten any real details about what it really was.

Early on, no-one really believed that Sandro's research was actually Pierre's work. Things only become clear when Jack makes Stark sit down and quiz Pierre on his work. The showdown between Pierre and Sandros was satisfying, even if it was a bit anti-climactic.

Zoe tracking down Jack's 'new girlfriend' was pretty interesting. When she finally talks to Jack about what happened, I got a bit emotional. Maybe it's because a couple people I knew in High School died in a car accident, but it was still very well done.

I always enjoy Eureka, but this episode just wasn't nearly as fun as it could have been. I wish they would have deviated a bit more from Forever Young, but you can't have everything. Zoe's story line was the best part of the show. Other than that, it'll be interesting to see if Allison tries to make up her omission to Carter as the season moves on.

Do you prefer it when Eureka's funnier?
Definitely143 (63.0%)
I'm in it for the geek out57 (25.1%)
Meh27 (11.9%)

Nater

To Dan:

Actually, the dream was Henry's, but it was shared with Carter.

August 24 2007 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

While I agree that the episode was off from the usual, no one hits it out of the park every time.

I kept expecting to see that Fargo inherited his disaster gene and oddly enough I was glad that this was a quirk all his own. It is possible I missed it but his father's death has not really been explained has it?

Could Carter's continued grudge with Allison be tied to the other time line? Perhaps Henry could not wipe his memory completely as evidenced in the previous episode with Carter dreaming about the erasure. Carter feels betrayed on some level that even he does not understand.

August 23 2007 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

The "fact" that men went to the Moon back in 1962 can tie 'Eureka' in with 'Get Smart', which had CONTROL sending the agents up there just to hold clandestine meetings. (That's the kind of trivia Toobworld Central thrives on!

August 23 2007 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KenMo

@Jophess,
If you think this show is boring and predictable, why are you the first on the comments? Stop watching the show. I think it will go on without you.

I think this season is better than last. They are building on the character development from last season, and trying different things to boot. I applaud them for their efforts.

August 23 2007 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

This didn't have the zazz of the usual Eureka episode, that's for sure. I think the part that bugged me most, though, was that--sure, Eureka was a more one-horse town 50 years earlier, but would a lab featuring cryogenics research really be so unsecured that the local jeweller could walk in and off someone? That just seemed implausible. I had actually wondered if it was Charlie early in the episode, but rejected the possibility on the grounds that he'd not have had access.

August 22 2007 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Yeah, I was expecting a bit more goofiness, but judging by last week's episode and the preiviews for next week, I guess they wanted to take a break from the straight comedy. Fargo was adorable, though. (Is it sad that I analyzed all my TV Boyfriends and figured out that he was the one I was most compatable with?) It'll be great to see if he gets a little more respect, or feels inspired to become a great scientist like Pierre. And I agree, the scene where Jack tells Zoey about the car crash was very well done.

Loved SARAH's addiction to Jerry Springer too. :)

August 22 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
las6

Seriously speaking, the whole "Carter's new girlfriend" storyline was the best drama I've seen in a long time. Unexpected and very much understated... which only made it that much better.

Heck, I won't care if Eureka is funny or not if it can provide me with this kind of quality drama.

August 22 2007 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jophess

This episode was boring and predictable, as usual. It really seems like the writers have been phoning it in on some of these episodes. We're supposed to believe that we really traveled to the moon in 1962, but not had any successful cryogenics experiments before? This is Eureka, come on!

The only good part about this episode is the unexpected character development for Carter.

August 22 2007 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply