August 1, 2014

Nicole Richie in jail ... oh, wait, never mind, she's out already

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 23rd 2007 10:06PM

Nicole RichieI just got back from doing my weekly grocery shopping. It took me almost an hour and a half because of the people at the grocery store and the traffic. That's about the amount of time that Nicole Richie stayed in jail today.

The official time was 82 minutes. Seems that's all the time she had to do, apparently. Although she was sentenced to 96 hours in jail but got out rather, um, quickly, "based on her sentence and federal guidelines." Richie was sent to jail for DUI and...well, it's hard to remember what she did and what Paris did and what Lindsay did and what Britney has done.

So what did they do, just give her a tour of the jail and then release her? Did they just strip search her and do her paperwork and then it was time to leave? Did she get a meal or at least a snack in that 82 minutes?

silverfangs

Now I heard Lindsay only got 1 day? I say it's rather unfair for Paris.

August 25 2007 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ari

i was hoping 82 minutes would be enough to end her and her useless life. I guess theres hope her baby will amount to something....if she puts it up for adoption.

August 24 2007 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I guess the problem they have is assuring her safety. Jail is dangerous. People should be aware of that. They are in a dilemma - they can't just build a whole jail for celebs because that would be preferential treatment. But they can't put them with the regular inmates either because, to quote Chris Rock "If a black guy would be Vice-President and I would kill the president, I would be a hero for life in prison". I guess the same goes to anybody who would be able to lay hands on any celebrity in Jail.

But maybe Survivor's Hatch is a counter-argument to my theory...

August 24 2007 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikecanada

No overcrowding really is a major problem every day there are people that come in for only a couple of hours when they should be there for a few days

A friend of mine was sentenced to 3 days a few months ago and he only served 90 minutes

August 24 2007 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

Yeah, if I committed the same crimes I guarantee I would spend a lot more time in jail than an hour and a half even with a spotless record. "Overcrowding" my ass.

August 24 2007 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

The fact that she only served 82 minutes of a 96 hour sentence was absolutely not preferential treatment. That is just the reality of the jail overcrowding out her in California. The jails simply cannot afford to house non-violent short sentence offenders.

Paris was the example where the media and her celebrity harmed her because the average citizen in SoCal in her position would have served only a few days instead of the 2.5 weeks that she ultimately did.

August 24 2007 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
plinstrot

And people say celebs are treated different in the eyes of the law!

Aren't their people who go to jail for like a year for pot possesion, and she was high on 2 different drugs while driving and got less than 90 minutes! Nice.

August 23 2007 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply