October 1, 2014

G.I. Joe flick is a go

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 25th 2007 3:41PM

gi joeG.I. Joe is just one of many adaptations of '80s toys/animated series that have been on deck for the last few years. There was of course Transformers, followed by rumors of bigscreen versions of He-Man and Thundercats. Now, however, the live-action G.I. Joe movie is official.

Writer/director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy) will helm the project, which will envision the G.I. Joe team as an international collaboration of military forces battling the evil Cobra, as opposed to the America-centric gang most of us remember from the '80s cartoon. Fans can also expect favorites like Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Destro and Cobra Commander in this new flick. The movie could hit theaters by summer of 2009.

Hasbro created both the Transformers and G.I. Joe toy lines, which makes me wonder which Hasbro toy will hit the bigscreen next. I'm thinking Easy-Bake Oven: the Motion Picture:

Narrator: In a world where desire and hatred are one, a normal man will have the chance to finally do what is right. This Christmas, Kevin Spacey is "The Baker" in Martin Scorsese's Easy-Bake Oven.

This, of course, will be followed by the Hungry Hungry Hippos movie:

Narrator: She's an investment banker, he's a pink hippopotamus. Can she satisfy his hunger, and his desire for love? This summer, Angelina Jolie stars in what Roger Ebert calls, "the most sexually-disturbing film ever." Coming to theaters this summer.

I'll stop now.

Will

I hope they make a cheat commandos movie

August 26 2007 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

RobotChicken already did a great parody of Hungry Hungry Hippos the Movie.

August 26 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

OMG. I remember those GI Joe cards.

So aren't they going to have to change the theme song? that's just wrong...no more real "American" hero?

August 26 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bearxor

In case you're reading this Stephen:

If you want to win fans over recreate the entire opening sequence of the animated move with CG and real actors.

Oh yeah, you have to have Sgt. Slaughter too. Make him have a cameo as an old advisor or something. That would be f'n awesome.

August 26 2007 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

So long as they don't go forward with that Action Man meets GI Joe idea they've been hawking...

August 25 2007 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I am so old that I remember when G.I. Joe was introduced. Back then he was a 12 inch tall action figure (soldier, sailor, Air Force, marine - plus some special editions that made him British, Canadian (and I even recall a Japanese soldier though I'm sure I'm wrong about that). The G.I. Joes of the 1980s wrecked my memories of the 1960s

August 25 2007 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Can they wreck everything good about the 80s?!

August 25 2007 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply