November 23, 2014

Nicolas Cage as Magnum P.I.?

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 25th 2007 4:40PM

nicolas cageI'm going to file this under "Rumor" for now, since none of the major outlets appear to have anything on it, but some of the more gossipy sites are reporting the same story that actor Nicolas Cage is considering the role of Thomas Sullivan Magnum, IV in an upcoming film version of the popular '80s dramedy Magnum P.I. Tom Selleck, of course, played Magnum in the original series, and has said in several interviews he wanted to play the character in the film version.

Some have argued Selleck's too old to play the part, and that's true, he is too old to play a young Magnum, but with "senior citizens" such as Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford coming back to play roles from their more youthful days, I don't think Selleck returning as an older, seasoned Magnum is a terrible idea for a feature film.

Also, while Magnum P.I. is in many ways a product of the '80s, I think it still stands up quite well. A series can't last for eight years and not have some low points, but overall I found Magnum P.I. to be a very clever and well-executed series. Also, I think most ladies would agree Selleck still looks pretty good.

As far as Cage playing the role? Eh, whatever. I like Cage, and he always seems to pick roles based on how much fun he'll have playing them and not so much on box office appeal, so I gotta respect the guy. At least Ben Affleck is no longer part of the movie. Still, Magnum P.I. without Selleck just isn't Magnum P.I., and any new version just doesn't seem worth it.

Debra Miller

I still love Tom as much as i did in the 80's. No one else could ever take the role of "Magnum". He is still hot and he can gladly put his shoes under my bed anytime he wants!!!!!!!

September 02 2007 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

Nic Cage. No way. Not a musculine hunk like Tom Selleck was and still is. Tom gets even sexier as he ages! Tom Selleck is Tom Magnum end of story. He's got the personality, charm,charisma, sense of humor,sex appeal, everything! I like Nic, but he would be a horrible Magnum. Go Tom-you sexy beast you!!!

August 29 2007 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lou Stoolz

I too would love to see Selleck return, though it ain't gonna happen cause the studio is going for someoene young, so my choice is Aaron Eckhart.

August 28 2007 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

I bet you could actually make a 'Magnum' film with Selleck in the lead -- if you released it straight to DVD/HD-DVD/BD and gave HSN or QVC a one-month exclusive distro deal. Hopefully we'll start seeing stuff like that soon (and I'm not saying I like the idea of QVC as a distro, but there's a big audience base there). Sadly, Selleck didn't have much box-office impact in his heyday and certainly doesn't now. Matthew McConaughey is probably the best bet at this point.

August 27 2007 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BRIDGETTE

NO WAY!!!! Anyone other then Tom Selleck to ply Magnum is just wrong and I mean wrong in soooo many diffrent ways!! Come if you want a BIG fat FLOP put someone else in a rolke that ONLY tom could do. Did noone learn any leassons from all the T>V> to Big screen moives that floped because they thought somebody else could do the part better. Get your heads out of your butts and ask Tom Selleck to do the Magnum movie!

August 27 2007 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Observer

Mark Walburg as Rick, Ice Cube as TC, and Josh Duhamel as Magnum, they could be Gulf War vets, doesn't have the same feel as Vietnam but what are you gonna do.

August 27 2007 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

Why does Cage get EVERY movie? Jeez... I don't hate the guy, but c'mon.

I would love to see Selleck come back as Magnum, but it won't have the box office potential they'd be hoping for.

Is it a drama? A comedy? Either way, I think Matthew McConaughey would make a damn tasty Magnum. Let the 'stache growing begin!

August 26 2007 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
In L.A.

I agree with everyone here - Nicholas Cage would be all wrong for the part of Mag- he has absolutely no personality, his movies are junk (always with his puttering narrative voice over), he is way too old and not even good looking.

Here are a couple other Big No's: Colin Ferrell (Miami Vice was crap), Jake Gyllenhaal or Jesse Metcalfe (cute, but no), Daniel Craig (too blond), Christian Bale (too weird).

PLEASE do not cast Jamie Foxx, Bernie Mac, LL Cool J, or Tyrese Gibson as T.C. - that would be an insult to the original actor, Roger Moseley. Go for Cederic the Entertainer (if funny) or Blair Underwood (good looking and dramatic).

I am not sold on Hugh Jackman (Isn't he busy making the Wolverine spin-off?). Yes to Ryan Reynolds (#2), Matthew McConaughey, or Tim Daly in the lead.

August 26 2007 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

This rumor makes me want to throw up.
Cage only has like 3 acting emotions and is NOT a beefcake (agreeing with the first commenter.) He is NOT Magnum.

Tom Selleck is Magnum. Big effing deal if he is older - look at Harrison Ford - he'll play Indy once again and everyone is happy about that. TS should be Magnum, bring in a younger kid if need be, maybe a PI in training.

Why do they insist on messing with the originals? That's why they want to bring it back in the first place - so why fux it all up??

August 26 2007 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

I think Nic Cage would be an awful Magnum. He's a fine actor but he's got no machismo! I don't think Tom Selleck is too old to play Magnum. He looks pretty good, and who says Magnum has to be young, it's not like it's Hawaii Five-O and Selleck is pushing 70 or 80, he's still pretty prime. Look at Mark Harmon, he's gotten better with age.

I'm tired of these reworked series they turn into movies, where they bring in some young turks who aren't anywhere close to being the character, when the original guys still have the chops to pull it off. I think they sit around pitching movies on what 'hot' start they can bring in without thinking of if they fit the character or not.

August 26 2007 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply